SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#7528 - 10/28/05 02:19 PM Software/Hardware combination Accompaniment Styles
hindimidi Offline

This is my first post in this board, so I am not sure where does this belong.

While the jury is still out on which Keyboard arranger is the best I want to find out which one is the best for creating custom styles. What if I created them in my MIDI sequencer (on PC) and then converted them using one of those programs (MidiToStyle) and then loaded it to the Keyboard (Floppy/USB). I can also use same instrument definitions while I create the styles so that I do not have to re-assign patches when I take the MIDIStyle on the board. This way style should work as if it was created using on-board style creator.

The most important question that I have is I want to use audio sample (LOOP) along with this style. (So that I can create custom LOOP using sounds that do not exist on the keyboard. I can keep the same KEY and Tempo between the MIDI style and the Audio LOOP). So the keyboard should play both(MIDI styles and the audio sample wav/mp3) in Sync. I can do something like this on Ableton Live. (But Ableton can not play the styles (Changing the progression, when I change the chord on my MIDI controller.) I can still use a MIDI controller to trigger the LOOP though.)

Maybe there are software programs like BIB or One Man Band that I am not aware of. Do they exist?

I googled but could not find a keyboard that can play an internal style with an internal audio LOOP. (Though it does not sound too hard achieve technically. You just need to add the Audio player of the Keyboard to play the LOOP with the style player. Just another track. They should also be able to time-stretch the LOOP if I want to adjust the Tempo on the fly. If the audio sounds too ugly then maybe I can turn off the audio track.)

Any ideas?

#7529 - 10/29/05 07:46 AM Re: Software/Hardware combination Accompaniment Styles
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Since your question is mainly about arranger keyboards and arranger software may I suggest that you post your question at the General Arranger Keyboard section of this forum.
You will get more help and more answers.

-ED-

#7530 - 10/29/05 09:27 AM Re: Software/Hardware combination Accompaniment Styles
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I think the Korg PA80 and PA1x will play one shot samples as well as play samples across the keys, but not sure if there is an auto loop feature. I've had the PA80 for almost five years now and have never used the sampling feature. You can use custom voices in the styles, so this sounds like it should be possible. I'd recommend posing the question at the Irish Acts forum. Lot's of avid Korg arranger users there.

I can do the same with FL studio and Orion Platinum as you with Ableton live. I use my laptop with one man band and I think it would be fairly straightforward to send a midi output from OMB to FL or Orion ( or in your case Live ) using Midi Thruway. I can send the Midi output of the PA80 into the laptop as well, so I know that would work without a hitch. I already have done this at times to get better voices for drums, bass lines etc. It send midi clock data from the styles, so no problem syncing up.

AJ

#7531 - 10/30/05 01:04 PM Re: Software/Hardware combination Accompaniment Styles
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
My Kurzweil K 2600S can do this.
(you need to have the sample option installed since you want to use samples made on other machines)

Don't know about other synth's but as long as there's a midi-sequencer and a possibility of loading samples on board , it should be possible to do that within one board.

Ofcourse the style needs to be sequenced first. You did not mention that you want to play styles in realtime which is one step further...

If you want to play styles in realtime on a keyboard and let the custom made samples or loops go along with your playing in realtime, you need an arranger keyboard with the possibility of loading loops and custom made samples controlled by midi.
I am not sure but if I recall the Gem Genesys can do that.

The other possibility is ofcourse just attach a sampler to an arranger keyboard and you're all set.

Fred

#7532 - 10/30/05 05:35 PM Re: Software/Hardware combination Accompaniment Styles
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Ketron Midjay...

#7533 - 10/31/05 07:44 AM Re: Software/Hardware combination Accompaniment Styles
hindimidi Offline

Thanks Guys for all the responses. I think I know what is doable (or not).

BTW I do want to use this setup for my LIVE performances and wanted to carry minimum instruments on the stage

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online