SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#1150 - 07/24/05 06:48 PM help me I am in [synth] hell
The Syndication of Sound Offline

I will be purchasing my first hardware synthesizer soon, and I don't know which to get. I am currently looking at the Roland V-Synth because of its unique sounds and hands-on tweakability. I am not too worried about the quality of the sequencer, and I am more concerned about the synthesizer's ability to produce any sound that comes to mind (and the ability to tweak that sound in real time). Price limit=2000$. Someone please help me to see if there is something better than the Roland, or just help me out in general. Thanks

#1151 - 07/25/05 08:47 AM Re: help me I am in [synth] hell
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I have played around with the V synth and I really liked some of the sounds I was hearing. I'm not sure how many of them I'd actually wind up using in a mix though. It really all depends on the type of music you want to make too. I would suggest a look at this link.
http://www.harmony-central.com/Synth/Data/Roland/V_synth-1.html

AJ

#1152 - 07/25/05 10:58 PM Re: help me I am in [synth] hell

I appreciate the help, that was a very good link. It showed me that the V-Synth might have a steep learning curve, especially for a beginner like myself, but its extraterrestrial sounds lure me on. One of the writers wrote that they also were getting a Virus, another synth I WOULD be considering, but the price is too high (I saw lowest at $2,700). Nine Inch Nails, a fav. band of mine, used an Access at one point or another. What are some big things that any Virus has that the V-Synth does not?

#1153 - 07/26/05 01:06 PM Re: help me I am in [synth] hell
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Hi!
Welcome to SZ.
VSynth is definitely one of my favorite instruments. Definitely unique and complex. It is right up there with some great synth models of all times like FS1R, K5000, Wavestation A/D, Morpheus, Waldorf Wave, Microwave XT etc. All the synths that had a huge impact on lots of programmers and creative minds.
Very hard to really compare to something like Virus TI since TI is basically an analog modeling synth with some wavetable capabilities similar to the ones found on waldorf synths.
THe Vsynth is actually a lot more of a processing station with some unique sample editing/processing abilities as well as variOS cards that add totally different synth engines and analog modeling as well.
So in other words it is a killer. If you like complex synth textures and like to create sounds yourself VSynth is probably the most versatile thing out there.

-ED-

#1154 - 07/26/05 02:18 PM Re: help me I am in [synth] hell

That totally sold me. Thanks for the helpful opinion on the V-Synth. That is the very reason why I want to get it. Thanks

#1155 - 07/26/05 04:25 PM Re: help me I am in [synth] hell
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
There probably are reviews for all of the boards that Ed mentioned in the Harmony Central user database.

Wavestation is a personal favorite, but today I play the software version. I really like what the V synth does, and I have considered getting one myself.

AJ

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online