SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#239 - 12/04/03 01:19 AM Would like some feedback on my .mp3
CarlH Offline

Loc: Sweden
Hi Everyone!

I have made a new song and are interested in some words of advice from you. I`ve heared it`s electronic, but still it`s the most non-electronic one I`ve made. Using my Novation Supernova II-r, drumsamples and Epiphone ES-335 guitarr. Everything is recorded on a simple computer using cuebase.

What is good, and what can be changed?

Can be found at:
http://home.no.net/shape01/music/Decision.mp3

Looking forward to your replies!

[This message has been edited by CarlH (edited 12-04-2003).]

#240 - 12/04/03 11:24 AM Re: Would like some feedback on my .mp3
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Hi again Carl!
Different post - same song?
Well, it just gives me an opportunity to
give you some more feedback.
It's not that I dislike your music, but here's some thoughts...
A lot of singer-songwriters say that the idea is the most important thing, that the
arrangements shouldn't be too busy and sound design is only important to evil producers and programmers that don't know a damn thing about music.
I'm not at all surprised with the fact that people that say and think stuff like that don't make it very far and have no real success.

If you want other people to notice your music, you'll have to make your
arrangements more expressive.
I agree with the fact that the idea is important. But sois everything else.
I'm not suggesting that you create a song with 200 tracks of audio and a million different FX. That's even worse.
I see that you've got a Novation SuperNova. I got one too (that and like 30 other synths). SuperNova is a great synth. And I think you'll agree with me if I told you that it's capable of doing a lot more interesting sounds then I'm hearing in your track.
Not necessarily obvious "synthetic stuff" (as tuba players call it) but just sounds with more motion and character. Drums lack expression as well. The key thing to creating good drums is variation (build ups, break downs). It's OK to use thin drum sounds and repeat the same drum loop throughout the entire song , but it's just so 80's. If you want an easy solution, just add an additional drum loop in the background. Adding crashes (or crash-like sounds or sound FX) as well as additional drum kick and snare shots on the chorus will also add expression to the track.
Vocals and phrasing is OK. Whatever doesn't sound right can be easily adjusted by a few vocal lessons. Mind you, I can't even stay in tune nowadays .
Also,, the only FX that I'm hearing are the basic chorus/delay/reverb and that very soft sounding rotary on the guitar. Same thing , too 1980s. I'd work on stereo/panning as well.

I think you can definitely write music. I also think that your song has a very nice rythm to it. And you definitely got a good feel for basslines. Lyrics aren't bad either. In overall the song has a very strong vibe. As I said before, you're on the right track there.

-ED-

IP: Logged

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 12-04-2003).]

#241 - 12/04/03 03:21 PM Re: Would like some feedback on my .mp3
Equalizer Offline

Loc: Scotland
I think it's good!

To me, it sounds kind of like Human League meets Enrique Iglesias (which could be cool)!

I'm not much of an expert, but here are a few improvements that I think you could impliment to make it even better:

1. The sickly underwater guitar sound at the start.... change it to a normal plucked accoustic guitar sound (I think it would compliment your voice more).

2. I think the song drags on too much. This is, in my opinion, is probably the biggest flaw with your song.

I think this problem can be addressed in the following ways;

* Add some interesting synth sounds/FX here and there to keep the listener interested and on their toes.

* Consider increasing the tempo slightly.

* (You'll hate me for saying this but...) consider chopping out a verse.

----------------------------------------
*SUMMARY*

WHAT'S GOOD*******************

* Warm, pleasant sounding vocals that fit in very well with the song.
* The bass and the drums.
* The stuttering guitar(?) sound and the other stuff (harps?) going on in the background.
* Good chord progressions.
* Some nice vocal harmonies
* Original.

WHAT'S BAD****************************
* drags on a bit
* horrible underwater guitar sound (sorry!)

Overall-a definate thumbs up.

[This message has been edited by Equalizer (edited 12-04-2003).]

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online