SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1964 - 03/15/03 12:49 PM Is there any reason why vintage synths are priced so high?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't remeber if I asked this question or not. But here goes.

I was searching through ebay looking at various moog synthesizers, and was wondering why people price them so high? I mean $1,300.00 for a Minimoog $975.00 for a polymoog. There is someone who is selling a Moog X/Y Joystick for a modular synth. satrting at a low bid (I forget how much) but he had a buy it now at $600.00) This makes no sense starts with a low bid, but puts a high price on for a Buy it Now.

I would really like to know where people are getting these prices at. Because I was looking in my copy of Vintage Synthesziers at the price lists and the price for most moog synths except for the Modualr synths are very reasonable. Minmoog between $300.00 and $1,600.00.

Are the prcied this high because of the demand or is it the Name recognition or what? And where are these people comming up with these prices?

What really frightens me is that people are willing to pay $1,300.00 for a Minimoog.

800dv I'm hopeing you can answer this one for me?

#1965 - 03/15/03 08:56 PM Re: Is there any reason why vintage synths are priced so high?
800dv Offline

Loc: atlanta, georgia, usa
Stupidity is the only real answer . It may tick some people off , but it's the bottom line . There was a short time when people were stupid enough to pay over $2000 for a MiniMoog . It all word of mouth , a guy that is selling a Moog finds out that some idiot payed $2000 for another , so he tries the same . So a trend develops . Ebay is not always a great place to buy , there are alot of stupid people who will pay way too much just to outbid you .

I just wait for another , believe me , THERE WILL ALWAYS BE ANOTHER . Some people advertise and say it's rare , that is usually a lie . There were over 10,000 MiniMoogs made . Over 11,000 PolyMoogs made . There are some rare ones like the MinitMoog , Constellation , and Satelite . They are rare because they were dismal failures in the market , not because Moog Music wanted them to be . Just like the Roland TB-303 , the music stores could not give them away when they were new . There are plenty of people that are stupid enough to pay over $500 for an Electro Harmonix Minisynthesizer . This was a synthesizer that is EXTREMELY limited , painted on keys over a metal touch plate and sold for $179.99 when it was new . People pay over $200 for a Paia Gnome synthesizer , keep in mind that Paia's are sold as kits and you have to put it together . They sold for $79.99 brand new , and people now pay over $200 for something that may not work when they get it .

I always look for bargins . The way I look at it , it's my money and I will only pay what I think is justifiable . Not to long ago I wanted to buy a Korg Sigma , I found one on Ebay but some idiot was willing to pay $400 for it just to outbid me . I let the guy have it , I refuse to pay that much . I found one on Harmony Central for $175.00 , I bought it . That is what everyone should do , then the prices will go down again .

People pay $500 for a Moog Rogue , this is the bottom of the line Moog synthesizer and sold for $395.00 new . The waveforms are not independantly controllable , nor is the footage . It was the cheapest synth Moog had made .

I pay what I want to pay . I ignore the rest , and I still ALWAYS get what I set out to get . Remember , it's you're money so the power is in you're hands .

#1966 - 03/15/03 10:55 PM Re: Is there any reason why vintage synths are priced so high?
Soft Machine Offline

Are you guys for real??!

#1967 - 03/16/03 05:25 AM Re: Is there any reason why vintage synths are priced so high?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you 800dv that has helped answer my question.

Uh softmachine I'm a little confused by your reply?

#1968 - 03/16/03 05:36 AM Re: Is there any reason why vintage synths are priced so high?
Anonymous
Unregistered

So basicly it's becuse they are on ebay then?

#1969 - 03/17/03 11:15 AM Re: Is there any reason why vintage synths are priced so high?
tekminus Offline

Ebay is sometimes the worst place to find these sort of things. I got a nice deal on my Roland SH-5, because I bought it off a guy who was mostly interested in Hammonds. On the other hand, I paid more for my MC-202, than I did for the SH-5 or Juno-106. The MC-202 I got from a dealer. Insane, I know.

-tek

#1970 - 03/17/03 11:40 AM Re: Is there any reason why vintage synths are priced so high?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have seen soem vintage stuff sold by dealers to be priced extremly high. Like Big City Music.

#1971 - 03/19/03 01:39 AM Re: Is there any reason why vintage synths are priced so high?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The best time to bid ebay is...hey wait a sec. if I tell you, you better not bid against me! between midnight and morning

Vintage synths are expensive because they don't make them anymore and people collect them.
(The same reason why vintage Corvettes/ Old Radios/ Shelby's/ Harley's/& Furniture are expensive.)Hobbies of collecting.

#1972 - 03/22/03 02:29 PM Re: Is there any reason why vintage synths are priced so high?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Funny! It's amazing that even though prices on ebay for vintage synths are high, that I can still find them. Even some that I never even new exsited. And people are willing to pay through the nose for one. P.T. Barnum was right. There is a sucker born every minute.

#1973 - 03/23/03 08:37 PM Re: Is there any reason why vintage synths are priced so high?
Chris Attison Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY.
There is alot of vintage gear that is pretty cool and will never go out of style. If you are a synth collector, thats one thing. If you are a musician, then its crazy to buy vintage gear at a high price when you can buy a digital workstation and have the same exact or close to the same exact sound as the original.

I dont think the average club goer, listens to the beat and tries to analyze whether the 808 bass comes from an TR-808 or a Korg Triton. So unless you are a collector, dont bother.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online