SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#4148 - 01/18/03 01:05 PM How to emulate sliding funk guitar sound
djslim Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA, U.S.A.
Hi, I'm a total newbie here. I would like to recreate a funky sliding guitar sound and slap/popping analog bass sound with a synth... is this at all possible? or do I need to sample one sound from a real instrument and just pitch shift stuff? What other methods besides getting somebody to play a riff for you do I have to achieve this effect?

much thanx!

#4149 - 01/19/03 08:51 PM Re: How to emulate sliding funk guitar sound
Soft Machine Offline

I don't think its possible on any type of keyboard

and besides, why would anyone bust his balls trying to find this out when taking a simple guitar(even an acoustic or the worst possible electric guitars ever made) with a bottleneck can do the trick

#4150 - 01/19/03 10:44 PM Re: How to emulate sliding funk guitar sound
djslim Offline

oh, I think I misphrased my question. I meant actually playing a funk riff on a guitar. so people who cannot play the guitar well enough to recreate that riff could use such technique.

#4151 - 01/19/03 11:40 PM Re: How to emulate sliding funk guitar sound
Cloakboy Offline

Loc: Racine, Wisconsin USA
Quote:
Originally posted by djslim:
oh, I think I misphrased my question. I meant actually playing a funk riff on a guitar. so people who cannot play the guitar well enough to recreate that riff could use such technique.

You could bust your balls trying to do that on a synth for months and still end up with something that sounds... fake.

Seriously, either record it yourself, get a friend to play it, or find a sample. Synths aren't magical wonder instruments that can imitate any instrument sound out there, that's just what the marketing depts want you to think.

#4152 - 01/20/03 02:26 PM Re: How to emulate sliding funk guitar sound
Chris Attison Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY.
There are guitar controllers out there that can help you emulate this, but it would never be an exact clone of the real thing and to use the controller, you need to know how to play guitar anyways.

Like everyone else said, find a friend or go to themode.com and put a search out there. Just be careful of the crazy people.

#4153 - 01/20/03 07:50 PM Re: How to emulate sliding funk guitar sound
Islander Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas, U.SA.
I heard the new Yamaha Tyros keyboard can do finger sliding and make noises just like you would do on a real guitar. But that's what I heard but I haven't played one myself.

#4154 - 01/20/03 08:02 PM Re: How to emulate sliding funk guitar sound
djslim Offline

I see. cool! thank you guys!

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online