SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#3999 - 10/29/02 11:43 AM The Death of File Sharing
Equalizer Offline

Loc: Scotland
As we all know, Napster went down the tubes a long time ago, and more recently even Morpheus seems to be pretty useless too.

Now, I suppose I don't want to get into some kind of debate about the morals of whether it's right or wrong to download MP3s. In my case, I would certainly have to plead guilty as charged. In my defence however, I can honestly say that 99.9% of the MP3s I've ever downloaded have been really obscure files that are virtually impossible to get a hold of any other way.

Today I downloaded and tried out WinMX. Although I found people who had the files, it wouldn't download from them cos it kept saying I'm in a que.

Folks, I hate to say it, but the punchline of my thread is this... the days of hastle free file downloading are GONE!

I mean, just think about the main players.
* Napster- DEAD.
* Kazza- Frought with spyware and trojans.
* WinMX- Leach City (i.e.- people who won't share what they have but are always eager to feed off other people)
* Audio Galaxy- never tried it, but I've heard that it also has some very malicious spyware.
* Morpheus- a shambles. Poor results, ad's everywhere, pop ups galore and recent reports suggest it TOO is now frought with spyware.

It looks like the faceless major labels have ended up winning after all.

Not one... and I'll say that again... NOT ONE single solitary act has ever made it big through the Internet. Years have passed and we're STILL getting force fed the same CRAP that they've been giving us for oh so long; boy bands, girl bands, T.V. competitions, regurgitated covers, soap stars, phonies, teeny boppers, on stage miming, faceless fat cats, nepotism of the highest order.... it all makes me wanna PUKE!!!

I'm totally disappointed with the Net in general and I just wanted to share that with you.

[This message has been edited by Equalizer (edited 10-29-2002).]

#4000 - 10/29/02 01:25 PM Re: The Death of File Sharing
tekminus Offline

Yes, the record labels have won. Spread the word, good folks. We surrender.

This message brought to you by IRC, Kazaa-Lite and Soulseek. Copyright2002 Get-a-clueTM Inc.

#4001 - 10/29/02 03:55 PM Re: The Death of File Sharing
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
Hello........I'm a napster junkie from way back and too have moved on to winMX. I have a DSL conection, share a lot of files, and have been totally astounded as to the NUMEROUS files I successfully download there. I have found things via winMX that i have been looking for years elsewhere......excellent quality too! I belong to some other keyboard groups and we have been using winMX to share our MP3s.......don't know why you aren't having the same results.........maybe you just listen to weird stuff? hehe...........just kidding. Good luck

P.S. I have heard that if you are behind a firewall and can't choose to have a primary connection your success will suck.

#4002 - 10/29/02 05:06 PM Re: The Death of File Sharing
Equalizer Offline

Yeah... maybe that's what it is. I am indeed behind a firewall, but I have the thing set to accept all wheelings and dealings with WinMX.

It's a nice theory though. I'm glad to hear that there's at least one person out there who's having a bit of luck with the thing.

#4003 - 10/29/02 11:58 PM Re: The Death of File Sharing
Jiddu Offline

Loc: Australia
its getting easier..

this is kinda off topic but have you heard about that court case over that replaytv? i heard this the other day:
quote..
Jamie Kellner, the head of Turner Broadcasting, was quoted as saying, ‘People who watch TV without commercials are stealing from the entertainment producers’.

hahaha man o man.. that guy has issues

#4004 - 10/30/02 12:31 AM Re: The Death of File Sharing
Cloakboy Offline

Loc: Racine, Wisconsin USA
Jiddu,

that quote was from months ago regarding TiVo and the like... he later recanted it and said he meant it as a "metaphor" or something.

But his point is interesting... basically, if the ability to skip commercials becomes commonplace, airtime will become less valuable, which means networks and the like would end up charging less for commercial airtime and therefore have less of a budget to put into programming. His worse case scenario involved airtime being worthless, therefor people would have to subscribe to each network individually, which he claimed would cost up around $200 per channel per month. I think this last point is bullshit on his part, I mean, I can get 6 channels of HBO/cinemax for $50 a month, and in the case of HBO, one can argue their original programming is of a higher quality than that of the networks.

#4005 - 10/30/02 02:58 AM Re: The Death of File Sharing
Equalizer Offline

By the way... I have to say... at this point in time I feel like a complete shmuck.

I should have made the title of this thread, "Is there any chance one of you guys could tell me how to work WinMX?"

It turns out that on the very first page when you connect, there's an option to use primary or secondary connections. Sure enough, I had it on secondary, so no wonder I wasn't getting much action.

Ok ok ok. So, I'm a looney. Happy??????

-Equalizer

#4006 - 10/30/02 08:04 AM Re: The Death of File Sharing
tekminus Offline

No, not really. You just have to understand that people had gigs of MP3s long before Napster came along.

You can download anything over IRC. Direct Connect is a great way to get movies. Especially for us in Sweden, where releases are almost always later than in the US.

-tek

#4007 - 10/30/02 05:21 PM Re: The Death of File Sharing
Jiddu Offline

Loc: Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Cloakboy:
Jiddu,
that quote was from months ago regarding TiVo and the like... he later recanted it and said he meant it as a "metaphor" or something.

heh with all the high speed communication in the world its funny that australia seems to get the latest news by ship.

#4008 - 10/31/02 09:43 PM Re: The Death of File Sharing
WS Offline

Use Kazaa lite...no spyware.

To delete spyware run Adaware www.lavasoftusa.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online