SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2450 - 06/04/02 09:57 AM Synthzone BotW: Clavia Vs Novation
tekminus Offline

Welcome to the Synthzone Battle of the Week.

Contender nr 1: Clavia Nord Modular

Specs:

Voices: Minimum 4 voices, max 32. Depends on patch complexity.
Multitimbral parts: 4
Hardware: 18 user-assignable editing knobs
18 dedicated function buttons
4 assignable outputs
FX: Phaser, distortion and chorus modules. Whole bunch of digital sound mangling modules.
Special: Flexible signal routing, since you build virtual modular synths on your computer screen (not just sound programming).

Link: http://www.clavia.se/nordmodular/hardware.htm

Contender nr 2: Novation Supernova II rack

Specs:

Voices: 24, expandable to 48.
Multitimbral parts: 8
Hardware: It's plastered with knobs and buttons. A cool blue LCD keeps you updated on exact parameter values.
8 assignable outputs.
FX: All the usual digital fx. 7(!) simultaneous fx per part.
Special: Includes a 42-band vocoder. Has arpeggiators for each part.

Common on both contenders: Both include 2 analog inputs for external audio processing. Both look sexy as hell!

My comments: The Clavia really appeals to the experimental side of me (I already have the Micro Modular, which is like a quarter of the big one). The SNIIrack really appeals to the more lazy techno freak in me.

I'm getting one of these babies soon. Right now I'm leaning towards the Novation, mostly because of significant price-drops on the 24-voice model. Who knows? I love the Micromod and having 4 parts would be heaven. I'll be auditioning the Nova this week. Can't trust those MP3s.

Cast your votes and comments!

-tek

[This message has been edited by tekminus (edited 09-23-2002).]

#2451 - 06/04/02 12:44 PM Re: Synthzone BotW: Clavia Vs Novation
Stalker Offline

Loc: Germany
I don't like Racks. I'm not very interested in MIDI and love the looking of synths with keys. With keys means a minimum of four octaves, better are five, but six and seven are the best. I don't know why there are so much keyboards with only two or three octaves like the Novation K-Station, the Nord Modular or the Access Virus Indigo. If the synth is only mono- or duophon, then it's okay (three octaves). But the Virus and the Novation have a lot of voices, the Clavia can have them.

I would choose the SupernovaII keyboard-version. I don't know if it really sounds better to me than the Modular, but its keyboard has a fantastic feel and there are "millions" of sliders and knobs. AND: it doesn't need a computer. I don't like using Computers in my music. Only for burning CD-R's. And the Modular is not very easy to program without a computer.
The Novation looks very good, while the Clavia instruments all look a little bit like toys. The only Clavia I'm really interested in is the NL1. It doesn't look good either, but sounds nice (in my opinion better than the NL2). But the look should not decide this.
If You already own a micro-modular, what do You want with the bigger one? You wrote <<<I love the Micromod and having 4 parts would be heaven>>>. What do You mean with this? I always thought that the difference was in the comfort.

I would not by any of these, but if I had to choose (without hearing them) I would choose the Novation.

Hey, what about a Roland JP-8000?

#2452 - 06/04/02 12:59 PM Re: Synthzone BotW: Clavia Vs Novation
tekminus Offline

The micromod is not multitimbral. The creative process gets alot easier, if you can hear atleast 4 parts at once. Now it's very much trial and error, recording and matching sounds.

I looked at a lot of synths, Roland, Access and Waldorf, but these ended up at the top.

I'm very much a computer musician. I don't play keyboards and my knowledge in music theory is limited. All my stuff is sequenced or randomish soundscapes.

-tek

#2453 - 06/04/02 01:13 PM Re: Synthzone BotW: Clavia Vs Novation
Chris Attison Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY.
Nova rack-YAY!

[This message has been edited by Chris Attison (edited 06-04-2002).]

#2454 - 06/04/02 02:00 PM Re: Synthzone BotW: Clavia Vs Novation
Stalker Offline

Loc: Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by tekminus:
The micromod is not multitimbral.

Oh, I didn't know that.

Quote:
I'm very much a computer musician. I don't play keyboards and my knowledge in music theory is limited. All my stuff is sequenced or randomish soundscapes.

I see, then a keyboard-version would be senseless. I only tested the Novation and didn't ever hear the Modular. Sorry, I can't help You .

That was why You couldn't destroy me. That's why You won't bring me to Your Emperor now.

#2455 - 09/23/02 07:56 PM Re: Synthzone BotW: Clavia Vs Novation
tekminus Offline

Just wanted to let you know, I went with the Nord Modular Rack. Excellent piece of gear. I think I'll keep the Micro as well and use it as an additional soundmodule.

-tek

#2456 - 09/24/02 02:25 AM Re: Synthzone BotW: Clavia Vs Novation
Cloakboy Offline

Loc: Racine, Wisconsin USA
I know I'm 3 months too late, but...

REAKTOR REAKTOR REAKTOR!!!

yeah...

#2457 - 09/24/02 07:04 AM Re: Synthzone BotW: Clavia Vs Novation
tekminus Offline

Hey, I got it yesterday. I've tried Reaktor many times, last was with v3.4(?), but I prefer the Nord anyway. Hardware and all you know. It's got 18 assignable knobs!

-tek

#2458 - 09/24/02 12:28 PM Re: Synthzone BotW: Clavia Vs Novation
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Actually you forgot one Tek.

This is what I ordered.
http://www.access-music.de/

#2459 - 09/24/02 05:41 PM Re: Synthzone BotW: Clavia Vs Novation
tekminus Offline

Quote:

I looked at a lot of synths, Roland, Access and Waldorf, but these ended up at the top.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online