SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#99986 - 09/03/03 11:32 AM Something that bothers me....
Wazza Offline

Loc: Sonnega, Friesland, The Nether...
I've heard several people saying, that, when you start playing keyboard/piano at an older age then, lets say, about 6-10 years of age, you wont be able to play as proficient and skilled as someone who started at around 8 years of age.
And its bothering me, because I started playing 2 years ago when I was 15.
I asked the music teacher from my previous school why he recommend me and others to start playing guitar rather than keyboard, he replied: "I don't recommend it because when someone begins playing keyboard or piano at your age your fingers won't develop that well anymore, If you want to be real skilled you have to start approximately at 8 years of age, not much later than that".
So is it true that people like me who started at a later age, that they will never develop real good "piano fingers", and will never be as skilled as they could have been if they started playing earlier?.
I love music, and my ultimate goal is to become a pro.
But is that achievable?
Does this mean I can never develop "virtuoso fingers"... Even if I practise real hard?.
Hope someone can give me some advice and clarification.
Thanx,

Greetz ,
Marcel

[This message has been edited by Wazza (edited 09-03-2003).]

#99987 - 09/03/03 11:43 AM Re: Something that bothers me....
The Accordionist Offline

It's baloney. It's kind of like the old adage about how kids in dual-language families develop second-language skills at increidbly rapid rates but adults have to take years of classes. I'm sure there's a degree of truth to it, but I always thought the reason was because the kids were immersed in it and really didn't have a whole lot else going on. My friends that moved as adults to Mexico to learn the language were fluent in 6 months due to immersion.

As an adult you have family, mortgages, taxes, work, etc. on your mind all the time and might not be able to spend the required time on learning the keyboard.

You're 15. You can do whatever you want. The only difference between you and a kid that started at 8 would be the 7 extra years of lessons the kid had. Never too late and you'll develop perfectly normally in my opinion.

Now take a keyboardist like myself, and try to learn guitar at age 32, and that's a whole different ballgame! I failed miserably.

Good luck!

Tommy

#99988 - 09/03/03 12:50 PM Re: Something that bothers me....
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
There is always an advantage for starting earlier. But does this fact prevent you from excelling in your field and even surpassing those who started before you?

Absolutely not. It depends on many factors. How hard you work, how creative you are, how long you practice, your artistic abilities, and ..... how much you want to achieve.

But let us be serious. Were you placed on guitar simply because you have not had lessons in young age?

#99989 - 09/03/03 01:11 PM Re: Something that bothers me....
trtjazz Offline

Let's add up some of the list of those told by someone "in the know" you'll never make it....

Steven Spielberg
George Lucas
Clint Eastwood

In music recently Santana was told to take a hike by everyone except Clive Davis....with "Smooth."

In the arts....Van Gough, Degas, Monet all told they couldn't paint for beans.

I bet all those that told these people that they couldn't make it are all right now saying "will there be fries with that burger Maam?"

Do not be deterred by someone who is talking trash, just because they never made it.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#99990 - 09/03/03 01:26 PM Re: Something that bothers me....
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Wazza,
I would also add that attitude is a big factor as well. If the 8 year old practices because his parents make him and you practice because you LOVE music and your instrument, then you can quickly catch-up to the 8 year old. "Where your heart is, there lies your talent".
Starkeeper

#99991 - 09/03/03 04:29 PM Re: Something that bothers me....
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
One of the greatest pianists of all time, Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli, didn't take up the piano until his late teens. Admittedly he was an organist and violinist to start with but as any keyboard player will tell you, organs and pianos require a very different technique. Just depends on who you are and what you have.

Bryan

#99992 - 09/03/03 08:02 PM Re: Something that bothers me....
FreeStyle Offline

Loc: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
...Where there's will there's a way...

Here's a true story:

A piano teacher with full grade 8 certificate for both performance and theory was asked to play a song during a jazz workshop. Showed great fingering skills but sounded mechanical. Just hand claps.

A guy who self taught playing keyboard and later piano in his late 20s was also asked to play a song. Ooh, aahs and hand claps. The facilitator commented "now, here's an example of how a 'pro' sounds like when playing with feelings..."

IMHO :
The listener(s) don't really care if the player is a grade 8 holder, started at a very young age or whatever. As long as the listener(s) can connect and feel the song presented by the player, he/she is a 'pro'.

#99993 - 09/04/03 12:58 AM Re: Something that bothers me....
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Yep, baloney.

#99994 - 09/04/03 02:34 AM Re: Something that bothers me....
arrangersrus Offline

You either 'get' music or you don't. The joy and experience of playing have nothing to do with age.

The fact that any teacher has told you this is remarkable - perhaps their standards have got more to do with snobbery? It could though be a way of saying to you to not expect too much in terms of being able to play like a machine ;-)

Don't take things so seriously.

Frankie.

#99995 - 09/04/03 06:13 AM Re: Something that bothers me....
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
It's bunk. Go for it!

Tom

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online