SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#99949 - 01/03/06 01:46 AM BIAB Styles...
doc-z Offline

Loc: Norway
is it possible to use Yamaha style files with Band-in-a-box? Or is there some kind of software out there that can convert Yamaha stylefiles to Biab's style format?

Doc-Z

#99950 - 01/03/06 01:11 PM Re: BIAB Styles...
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Doc,
unfortunately no.
I think BIAB has a function that can convert midifiles to BIAB styles ie create a midifile from a Yamaha style then convert midifile to BIAB.
Don't think it would be terribly suucesful though.

Is there a particular reason why you would want to convert them to BIAB?
If it's the type in a chord, pick a style & play function that you're after, there's easier software options available for working with psr styles.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by doc-z:
is it possible to use Yamaha style files with Band-in-a-box? Or is there some kind of software out there that can convert Yamaha stylefiles to Biab's style format?

Doc-Z

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#99951 - 01/04/06 01:44 AM Re: BIAB Styles...
doc-z Offline

I work extensively with band in a box for songmaking and arranging. I use the midi output files from biab as skeletons inside sequencer apps for mastering. But I feel the biab styles are getting "old" but I have tons of yamaha styles laying arround, not beeing used, would be cool to be able to use theese with biab too.. to spice up my mixes a bit.

Doc-Z

#99952 - 01/04/06 01:57 AM Re: BIAB Styles...
STAM Offline

Loc: Brussels, BELGIUM
Hi Doc,
If you want to use yamaha styles to make songs and arrangements, maybe you should consider to work with onemanband.
I am not an expert but it seems to work fine in this kind of application.
Stam

#99953 - 01/04/06 02:33 AM Re: BIAB Styles...
doc-z Offline

Well.. maybe it would.. but I want something I can input chords on the computer, not play in realtime. And I want to output midi files. And since many of my songs are allready in biab format, it would be nice to be able to play those songs using different styles.

Doc-z

#99954 - 01/04/06 05:30 AM Re: BIAB Styles...
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
I use BiaB to vary my arrangement when building wav files. I pick single tracks ie. piano, organ and any instrument that I don't master, (read: most ) and I create midi files, which I then bring into Sonar and complete the song with a mixture of midi, live, wav/acid drum and/or bass loops.

The end result is a backing track that superseeds any GM or XG midifile as I use plug-ins for the midi stuff.
BiaB is great tool for this, as it is a great practice tool as well. Vs 2006 is much improved, and for anyone saying it's cheesy you ought to listen to the latest style disks. They are fab!

Roy-Andrč
www.royandre.no

#99955 - 01/04/06 09:44 AM Re: BIAB Styles...
doc-z Offline

I'm not saying it's cheezy, but I'm saying the styles get "old" pretty fast, like any type of arranger. Even though one has a couple of hundred styles at their disposal, you get tired of the same styles over and over again. So I thought it would be cool if I could convert my collection of styles in the software as well to expand it.

Doc-Z

#99956 - 01/04/06 10:37 AM Re: BIAB Styles...
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
Doc-Z, I was not thinking of you when I said cheesy, but I've read elsewhere in this and other fora that some find the styles early Casio-like. Sorry if my reply felt that way! BiaB have come a long way and yes, I think their patterns repeat themselves, but where Yamaha repeats every two bars for the most part, BiaB styles varies randomly, meaning it is less repetitive than you think, even though there is only an A and a B part. I have not tried to use it as an arranger but it can make styles out of any midifile. Don't know about the Yamaha mega and SA voices though. The man to ask is Simon at SVPWorld, he is an expert on midi and Yamaha style building.
http://www.svpworld.com

Roy-Andrč

#99957 - 01/04/06 02:51 PM Re: BIAB Styles...
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Doc,
there's a choice of 2 programs that may do what you want ie type in chord progression & choose style( demo's should be available on line) http://www.1manband.nl/
One Man Band
Busker
Both have the option of typing in a chord progression & choosing a style, and saving as a midifile.

Busker also has the option of typing in a single note melody line. I normally just type in a few bars & then go thru the process of picking the most suitable style for a song.

Unless you have an xg soundsource for the psr styles you'll possibly have to do a bit of editing on the drum tracks. ( you'd have to do it even if you manage to convert them to BIAB).

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by doc-z:
[B]Well.. maybe it would.. but I want something I can input chords on the computer, not play in realtime.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online