SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#99892 - 04/07/05 12:45 AM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Frank,
I got it to work.
I had to renumber the instruments after I copied them across, no big deal
first I copied piano
0=1 piano
then strings
1= 48 strings ( I changed the 1 to 48) etc

I did have to make sure I had all the instruments used within the style. I missed one of the basses and ended up with drums playing on the bass track.

I assume that , that was what you were hinting at earlier, that if an instrument is left out of the font that is used within the style, you could end up with something strange happening.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I can get it to work.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rikkisbears:
[B]Hi Frank,
I'll give it a try when I get a chance and let you know how I go.
What I'll try and do is create a font using only 5 or 6 sounds for a particular style,
( and keep to the gm instrument mapping)
ie drums
bass ( program 33)
piano ( program 1 )
guitar( program 25)
strings program 48)etc

and see if they play back correctly.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#99893 - 04/07/05 01:02 AM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Maybe that's a silly idea, but if a soundfont must contain sounds in every "bracket", maybe you could put some dummy wavs containing nothing (0.1 sec of silence), just to fill the blanks. that way the size remains small.

#99894 - 04/07/05 04:57 AM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

trident, you got it!!! You are a smart person.

Rikki, however would have to ensure that the style program change numbers point to the appropriate instruments within her highly customized GM Wavetable.

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 04-07-2005).]

#99895 - 04/07/05 06:58 AM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Rikki,
You are not ahead of Frank, but you are way ahead of me. I'm going to take it slow.
Does you Clavinova have panel/lead voice, other then piano? Is the 200mb reason font better then SynergiGS?

Anyone who might know,
I have a minor problem with my Sounblaster Live card: I empty the card completely, nothing in either synth (A or B), and there are 10mb remaing on the card. I do cold boot of my computer and 10 megs remain. Both synths are empty. Thats a lot of nothing!!! It doesn't effect the operation of the card. Anyone have a clue what gives?

Last weekend the styles didn't sound "right" anymore. Sounded like some instruments were too loud and others gone. I switched from OMB to Live Styler and it was also the same. Tried other soundfonts and they had the same problem. I'm thinking it might be a hardware problem with my connectors. Will check it out this weekend. I hope its not the soundcard.
I just happened to land on a Canadian site that sells Native Instruments software and NI B4 is not that expensive. NI Express is very affordable, as AJ pointed out. Not sure how crippled NI Express is.
Starkeeper
Starkeeper

#99896 - 04/07/05 01:43 PM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?

Starkeeper, is it possible you have allocated 10mb to be used by your sound card for loading soundfonts/wavetables. This is the maximum setting that you determine (options on your HQ page). Also, I think the maximum that you can set in SBLive is 32mb. So if you load a wavetable that is greater than this things will not work. If your wavetable gets close to this maximum voices start dropping out the longer you play (I have heard).

If you have set the maximum level at 10mb then even if you have no sounds loaded the sound card will set aside 10mb.

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 04-07-2005).]

#99897 - 04/07/05 02:00 PM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Hi Frank,
No, I don't think so, I think it says that no matter how much I lower or increase the memory, but I will check this again this weekend. If you are right though, that could explain why the styles don't sound "right" anymore.
Hmmmm?? When I finish loading SynergiGS, I believe it says 54megs.
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 04-07-2005).]

#99898 - 04/07/05 02:08 PM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?

Starkeeper, if you are going to use Wavetables of 32mb or greater in SBLive then you should take a look at a program called megafont:
http://www.hammersound.net/mirrors/last_night/

The Audigy sound cards do not have this limitation.

#99899 - 04/07/05 03:15 PM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
Vquestor Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
Hi Vquestor,
I think it's bank 128 for gm drums. That's the bank no. that has popped up in my other fonts.

best wishes
Rikki

Thanks Rikki. I was trying to figure out
the Roland standard for their drumkit bank selects, because AnotherXG has the Roland GS
kits under Bank 125.

#99900 - 04/07/05 04:17 PM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Trident,
actually I'd thought about doing something along those lines, but instead of silence, put in a sound like a whistle or squeal to alert me that I'm using a new instrument that I'll need to add to my font.

The font is sort of a work in progress. I'm going to start with 1 style, find the 6 or so most suitable instruments required ( from the various fonts) then go onto the next style ( add any additional instruments) etc etc and slowly build the font up. Having some sort of an "alarm bell" to alert me when I need to add an additional instrument will come in handy ( be it a whistle sound or whatever , as long as it's small) . Personally I doubt I'd probably use more than 30 or 40 different instruments throughout the styles, so it will be interesting to see if it works.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#99901 - 04/07/05 04:32 PM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Starkeeper,
actually my CLP has a number of Panel Voices other than the Grand Piano's. Basses, Strings etc plus the 400+ xg voices. Personally I like the reason font better.

Actually I started to wonder the other day when you mentioned you weren't overly impressed with the sgm128 as to whether or not you had actually managed to load it.
I have an sblive card in my desktop ( which I don't use) but I vaguely remember reading something about it having limitations on how big a font it could load?? Maybe you weren't actually hearing it correctly.

Frank and I both use Forte Ensemble & Live Synth Pro. I've managed to load a 200mb font without hassles, but I do have some problems once I get to 300mb. I've got a 512mb memory in my laptop.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online