SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#99797 - 10/10/04 09:01 AM So, how do you keep people off your "stage?"
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I was thinking of buying police crime scene tape and stringing it around the set.

It's actually a serious question.

I used to frequent a bar owned by James Burton. You set one foot on that stage and the bouncer was on your back in five seconds. Amazing.

#99798 - 10/10/04 10:21 AM Re: So, how do you keep people off your "stage?"
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
James is a wonderful person, a friend, and one of the premier guitarists of all time, but didn't know anything about running a club. Maybe that's why it's out of business now.
He asked me to come by a couple of times, but it was so loud I couldn't stay. If you will recall his son was leading the band, not James. James would sit in whenever he was in town.
There are many ways to keep people off the stage, but bouncers are not a good option in most situations.
I fight the "bad singer" situation all the time, particularly now that I'm playing at the "piano" bar. However, in my case, I'm asking for it, since that is what piano bars are all about.
Most of the time, you can simply tell them that management won't allow you to have sit-ins. Of course Management must back you up. I've also used the old "are you in the Union" trick, although I'm not in the Union myself anymore.
It wasn't like this at all until Karaoke became so popular. They see a one-man operation and assume it's Karaoke. It's not really their fault, they are just doing what they are used to doing. Having a laptop on stage does make it worse.
Even at the piano bar, I don't let them read lyrics off lt. They know I have them, but I tell each one privately, as if I'm taking them into my confidence, that I don't want the others to come around and try to see the screen.
I also tell them quietly that if I let them sing, then I have to let the others who aren't as talented sing too. "I hope you understand". Unfortunately, drunk people often don't understand.
I've also been in situations where it's possible to complete block off audience access to the bandstand with a rail or rope. That's the best way.
Bottom line is you HAVE to keep control. I always have the mixer sliders where I can simply turn off the mic if it comes to that.
I'm sure others will have some good solutions too, and I'm anxious to hear them.
DonM

#99799 - 10/10/04 10:32 AM Re: So, how do you keep people off your "stage?"
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Yowza, Don.

I didn't find his son's band played too loud. Then again, I enjoy music pretty loud. Another act that played there... now he was VERY loud. He could get too loud.

Plus, this question also pertains to just keeping regular Joes off your turf. People come up and lean into your equipment or stumble on a cord or whatever and break something really important. I dunno, you want to be friendly with people... but...

#99800 - 10/10/04 10:37 AM Re: So, how do you keep people off your "stage?"
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
One of the problems with the volume at James' club was that the walls, floors and ceiling were all concrete. The highs bounced around mercilessly, especially when the place wasn't full. The times that I was there were necessarily off-peak times, and the band couldn't or wouldn't adjust to the fact that peoples' ears were bleeding.
I'm very carefull about setting up where there isn't some protection from the dancers. I once left a job in the middle of the night because my equipment was in danger.
DonM

#99801 - 10/10/04 11:07 AM Re: So, how do you keep people off your "stage?"
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
To best insure that people 'keep off' your performance (stage) area then you'll need to be actually set up 'on' a stage. If the venue doesn't include a stage, then a portable 'platform riser:
http://www.wbsshelving.com/furniture/stagesportable1.htm
http://www.i-weiss.com/products/stage/portablestaging/

might be in order, and can be purchased or rented (by the day) from local equipment rental stores. For my solo one man arranger vocal/keyboard act, I find a 4'X6' riser (with skirt) minimally sufficient if positioned against a wall (to prevent me from falling off the back.

Scott

#99802 - 10/10/04 12:03 PM Re: So, how do you keep people off your "stage?"
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:

I'm very carefull about setting up where there isn't some protection from the dancers. I once left a job in the middle of the night because my equipment was in danger.
DonM

Did I play you the song I wrote about falling into the conga drums of The Sales Department band last Mardi Gras? It's a hoot. But hey, the conga drums were right up next to the dance floor. I don't know what happened but "my 2-step made a 3-step run" (a line in my song) and I wiped out their congas. Man, talk about EMBARRASSING. God, I crawled to the bar. The girl later said she tripped me. I think she did. I was pretty tipsy (uh, drunk) but not that far gone. I do get a bit happy every three or four years on Mardi Gras. Anyway, got a good song out of it. It's funny. You'd love it. I wrote it on the psr740 and it's got a kickin' beat.

#99803 - 10/10/04 01:04 PM Re: So, how do you keep people off your "stage?"
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I play with the trio at the Bolero hotel in Wildwood , NJ..
They have the best set up.. we have a roomy[lots of space], raised stage with wood railing to the sides..the front of the stage is opened around ten feet..I set up to the left of the lead vocalist, and the other keboard sets up to the other side...No one can get on stage with out us letting them thru...They can approach any one of us from the front..we can talk to them if we desire or pass them on to the next band member...Of course when we get the cute dancers that like to dance around us on stage..I let them come thru..

#99804 - 10/10/04 07:26 PM Re: So, how do you keep people off your "stage?"
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
I was thinking of buying police crime scene tape and stringing it around the set

There's an oldies RnR band out of Columbus, Ohio that does exactly that. The name of the band is "The Danger Brothers" and the tape reads "Danger Zone". It works.

#99805 - 10/10/04 10:39 PM Re: So, how do you keep people off your "stage?"
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Topic: So, how do you keep people off your "stage?"

Invite UD to play with your Band after he's had a couple bean & cheese burritos. LOL!

Sorry UD. I hope you're in a good mood bud!! Just funnin' with ya.

Everybody off the Stage!!!! WAIT!!!! Somebody go back and get the drummer! I think he passed out!!

Whoa!!! Not on your life dude!! Get him yourself!! HA HA!

Best regards,
Mike

#99806 - 10/11/04 06:17 AM Re: So, how do you keep people off your "stage?"
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
With the solo thing I find that the term "stage" has been changed to mean a lot of things. Only one place I now play has a real stage - the others don't. With a real stage it's fairly easy to ask people not to walk onto the stage... if you have to explain why then tell them because of all the cords and the potential liability for injury.

However there is one hard rule I stand by - no drinks near my gear!!! I had to enforce this just last week when an older gentleman came towards me with a drink in his hand and was obviously going to lean over the front of my keyboard to make a request while I was playing. I stopped the song I was playing immediately and stepped around the keyboard to lead him back a few steps and told him politely not to get near my equipment with a drink in his hand. The fact that I stopped a song in the middle alerted the management also and they came to see what was up. The man was startled but understood he'd made a mistake.

#99807 - 10/11/04 08:06 AM Re: So, how do you keep people off your "stage?"
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
this is a real problem for me. I play outside, have to move equipment in 4 nights a week and a playing on a brick walkway. Customers are on three sides of me and I'm set up right in front of a gate to a swimming pool. The pool is closed before I start, but every year, kids sneak into the pool and then come out the gate. After dark, they don't see the cords (and sometimes I don't know they're back there. I have had a Parker Fly and a nice nylon string kicked across the bricks, with significant damage.

I now use junkers and keep my eye on customers as much as possible.

It's not a good situation, but I've been on the job a long time, and get lot's of jobs from patrons in the off season.

russ

#99808 - 10/11/04 09:28 AM Re: So, how do you keep people off your "stage?"
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
I'm set up right in front of a gate to a swimming pool. The pool is closed before I start, but every year, kids sneak into the pool and then come out the gate

In that situation, I would ask management to have that gate locked, explaining the risk to your equipment and potential liability to them.

Other than that, how 'bout a set of 3' posts and velvet rope around the fromt and sides. Could look nice and serve the purpose.

#99809 - 10/11/04 09:56 AM Re: So, how do you keep people off your "stage?"
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Glenn...the pool area is owned by the developers and the lifeguard is supposed to lock the gate. He often forgets, and sometimes the kids climb the fence.

There is minimal storage area in the restaurant, so I carry in a keyboard, two PA heads, six speakers, a guitar, mike stand, keyboard stand, two bags of cords, guitar stands, mikes , etc. I go from an early to a late job on week-ends, 1 hour apart, so there's not a lot of time to break down.

I like the idea of ropes and poles, and just locatd some at a supplier of bank display material. If I can find a place to store it, I may give that a try.

Thanks,

russ

#99810 - 10/11/04 10:04 AM Re: So, how do you keep people off your "stage?"
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
I kind of like the chicken wire cage used by the Blues Brothers in their first movie!

Tom

#99811 - 10/11/04 10:19 AM Re: So, how do you keep people off your "stage?"
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
No more beans for this guy!(Atkins ....... in remission)

#99812 - 10/11/04 10:21 AM Re: So, how do you keep people off your "stage?"
rhp52 Offline

We always found it useful for the horn section to let a few go a they did it anyway

#99813 - 10/11/04 10:53 AM Re: So, how do you keep people off your "stage?"
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I have a couple signs onthat I post saying NO FOOD OR DRINKS PLEASE! Never had a problem since I began using them. When folks come up on the stage while I'm playing, I hit the kill switch and tell them politely to get the hell off the stage and I'll be more than happy to talk with them during a break.

One of the reasons I no longer play weddings and nite-clubs is because of the drunks and cigarette smoke. Since I've vacated that environment, the problems seemed to just melt away.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online