Topic Options
#98395 - 08/12/05 10:15 AM Some info about Tyros-2
TiViPi Offline

Some info about Tyros-2 on http://shop.musicproducts.com/

-New 4-layer Keyboard

-61 high-quality keys
-400 built-in styles

-Super Articulation Voices give added realism and depth to the sound

-Megavoiced brass, strings, saxes, accordeons etc.

-New FULL STEREO samples (drums, accordeons, pianos etc.)

-Stereo samples loadable/editable

-Improved vocal harmonizer

-USB to Device

-USB-FDD

-Dual RGB output with separate master/slave dedication

-Textviewer

-HD Recording with 4-track direct-to-audio possibility and syncronized playback with OPTIONAL HDD

-Downward compatible with Tyros-registers, files, settings, hardware

-Newly developed cabinet using the latest in polymer technology

-Newly constructed Music stand

#98396 - 08/14/05 10:30 PM Re: Some info about Tyros-2
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Yada Yada Yada....

No 76 keys, no 256 note polyphony (at least from the specs that have been revealed so far). More bucks $$$, but no sizzle in my humble opinion.

And it has been reported if you buy one and don't secure it at all times it may suddenly fly away.

I could be wrong (about the specs) and Yamaha may indeed surprise us all. But don't hold your breath. I know I won't.

Best regards,
Mike

#98397 - 08/14/05 11:45 PM Re: Some info about Tyros-2
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
That link doesn't seem to work for me.

As far as the new Tyros 2, I think we'll have to wait to see it, hear it and try it ourselves. But, when you consider the great improvement in the guitars using mega voices, then I personally am very much looking forward to hearing all of these new mega voices along with the super articulation not to mention the other new features.

As far as not being the right number of keys or touch, if you like the rest of it there's nothing stopping anybody from getting whatever contoller keyboard that suits their fancy. And actually, from my veiwpoint as a player and teacher, 61 keys is plenty unless someone is playing classical, which I don't think is very much the case. But, I'd be interested in hearing the opinions of those that want 76 or whatever number of keys as to why it is necessary. I have never really understood this argument. So, please inform me so that I can understand and become convinced.

On the other hand for those that for whatever reason feel they need 76 keys, I wonder what's keeping them getting one of those 50 pound brand X keyboards and put it in their light weight 20 pound case, instead of always going blah, blah, blah about it like we all do, including myself on our pet gripes? We're funny creatures when you get right down to it and the SZ forum is a great testing groud. haha

Best
Scott

#98398 - 08/15/05 01:57 AM Re: Some info about Tyros-2
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
The link didn't work for me either.

I'm with you Scott re. 76-note boards. And if you're a classical musician, isn't 88 notes de rigeur?

#98399 - 08/15/05 02:44 AM Re: Some info about Tyros-2
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Scott,
I just received my brand new Roland A-37 and it works great! I can now control my Tyros with the left hand and, at the same time, either my Motif ES rack or my Roland Fantom XR with the right hand (I can even layer the sounds from both the Tyros and one of the modules).
The funny thing is that now my Tyros sounds better than ever, because the A 37 has different velocity curves, that apparently squeeze out of the Tyros every bit of its sound. Not to mention the wider keys (they are not as pleasant to play as the G 70, but for 500 euros what can I pretend?)

#98400 - 08/15/05 04:48 AM Re: Some info about Tyros-2
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
To address Scott's point about bringing a controller in lieu of the Tyros having 76 keys:

1. After having spent $3000.00 for a keyboard, why should we have to bring more equipment to backfill for a key missing feature! I want to go to a gig with ONE keyboard and ONE sound system.

2. I already bring another keyboard to play along with the Tyros which has a different sound engine to complement the Tyros sounds. I would now have to bring 3 keyboards, or midi-up my second keyboard to the Tyros. It's a lot of fiddling with buttons to bounce back and forth between a keyboards internal sounds and using it as an external controller.

3. Most new high end professional arranger boards have 76 keys in this price range. Why can't Yamaha get this point?

C'mon Yamaha, give me my 76 keys!!!!

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#98401 - 08/15/05 05:00 AM Re: Some info about Tyros-2
Kenneth Gundersen Offline

Loc: Lyngdal in Norway
I can't get the link to work either, but http://www.tyros2.net does work and I guess you find almost the same information.

#98402 - 08/15/05 06:27 AM Re: Some info about Tyros-2
Clif Anderson Offline

61 v 76.

I examined some of my favorite songbooks and found that some of the piano parts cannot be played as written on a 61-note keyboard, but (almost?) all could be played on a 76-note keyboard. Songs with a range of greater than 5 octaves are not uncommon. But, ever for piano parts with ranges of five octaves or less, a keyboard with more than five octaves may be required. For example, a piano part to have a range that includes "B" below the bass clef and "D" above the treble clef; this range is less than five octaves, but cannot be played on a C-C 61-note keyboard without transposition.

While I am at it, let me say that the Nord Electro 72 form factor is really attractive. 22 lbs, 6 octaves (73-note), compact. I am not going to get one because it is missing other features I want, but the size and weight are great.

#98403 - 08/15/05 06:34 AM Re: Some info about Tyros-2
Dnj Offline

http://media.zzounds.com/media/brand,zzounds/NE273topLarge-49b459b5a1606a267176323d21830e16.jpg

Nord Electro 72

#98404 - 08/15/05 12:44 PM Re: Some info about Tyros-2

Hi kbrkr

Yes, nobody likes to haul anymore than the bare minimum including me.

It sounds like your other kb isn't 76 notes either? I'm wondering what sounds their are on the other kb that aren't on th Tyros or maybe not to your liking that you can't just take just one of them.

I agree it'd be nice to have it just the way you want it for whatever reasons. 61 soft touch is perfect for me, but I know there are some that prefer 76. I think Yamaha has from past experience found that the vast majority of people using an arranger kb use 61 notes and that it's not worth producing the other.

I still wish they madea a good usable Tyros module. I'd buy that like yesterday! As it is I just bought a Ketron Midjay. Pretty nice box really. I'm testing it out right now to see if it makes sense for me to keep. If not, I'll put it up for sale. It's the only way to try this thing.

Best
Scott

#98405 - 08/15/05 12:48 PM Re: Some info about Tyros-2
Dnj Offline

Scott ...we all wanna hear about the MIDJAY awaiting your review.

#98406 - 08/15/05 10:00 PM Re: Some info about Tyros-2

Donny

Would you belive I just spent a LOT of time typing out a review, went to post it, and guess what?????????? there's a little storm going on here and I guess I got disconnected! And, guess what.....................it's gone. haha

It's midnight, I'm going to bed.haha grrrrrrr

Scott

#98407 - 08/16/05 04:28 AM Re: Some info about Tyros-2
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
Hi kbrkr

Yes, nobody likes to haul anymore than the bare minimum including me.

It sounds like your other kb isn't 76 notes either? I'm wondering what sounds their are on the other kb that aren't on th Tyros or maybe not to your liking that you can't just take just one of them.

I agree it'd be nice to have it just the way you want it for whatever reasons. 61 soft touch is perfect for me, but I know there are some that prefer 76. I think Yamaha has from past experience found that the vast majority of people using an arranger kb use 61 notes and that it's not worth producing the other.

I still wish they madea a good usable Tyros module. I'd buy that like yesterday! As it is I just bought a Ketron Midjay. Pretty nice box really. I'm testing it out right now to see if it makes sense for me to keep. If not, I'll put it up for sale. It's the only way to try this thing.

Best
Scott

Scott,

The other board I bring is a Triton Extreme 76 key board. The Triton sounds are very different from the Motif/Tyros sound engine, but complement it nicely. I have dabbled with triggering the Tyros from the Korg through MIDI. I would assign the right C voice to the Korg and play that from the Korg. It actually works, but when I need the Korg voice, I have to turn off midi signal recognition on the Tyros or de-select the C voice on the Tyros so that both sounds don't trigger as I play.

I know there is no perfect board, but the Tyros comes close for me; about 15 keys close!!!!!!

Can't wait to hear your review of the MidJay, that is another alternative I wish Yamaha would go; a Tyros Sound Module.

Regards,
Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#98408 - 08/16/05 09:43 AM Re: Some info about Tyros-2
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by TiViPi:

Some info about Tyros-2:

-Super Articulation Voices give added realism and depth to the sound

Here's how the BRAND NEW Tyros-2 "Super Articulation Voices" feature supposedly works. Tyros-2 includes (not just one), but 'multiple' sound samples per note. Which specific multiple sound sample is triggered is dependant upon the preceding note played. This promises to further enhance the realism & depth of the instrument voice's sound. I for one am very anxious to check out this new Tyros-2 feature.

Scott

#98409 - 08/16/05 10:04 AM Re: Some info about Tyros-2
to the genesys Offline

Given the improvement of the sounds from the first Tyros, and the interest in a Tyros 2 module, I sincerely hope that Yamaha would give the module option another thought and make a Tyros 2 module.

It doesn’t even have to have every feature of the Tyros 2 (for example, hard disk recording) but the sounds, styles and creation tools are the most important things to have on the module. On the other hand, if you want to have every thing on the module, that is fine with me just don’t make it too too expensive.

#98410 - 08/16/05 10:15 AM Re: Some info about Tyros-2
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:

On the other hand for those that for whatever reason feel they need 76 keys, I wonder what's keeping them getting one of those 50 pound brand X keyboards and put it in their light weight 20 pound case, instead of always going blah, blah, blah about it like we all do, including myself on our pet gripes? We're funny creatures when you get right down to it and the SZ forum is a great testing groud. haha

Best
Scott

I guess the reason is those other X brand 76 note boards ARE 50 lbs Scott. Or at least around that much..

What I want Yamaha or any other Brand manufacturer to do is create a 76 note high end Arranger that weighs around 30 lbs or LESS. That's when things will get enticing for even die hard 61 note keyboard fans like yourself and you may find it worth your while to get the 76 note board.

I realize I'm a little hard on Yammie and I vent my concerns on this and other keyboard Forums, but tell me (OT) one Drill Instructor in any branch of Armed Services that is 'soft' on their recruits. They are DI's because they are the ones that "drill" instruction into the recruits. And they do it for their own good. They go in boys and they come out men. Or so is the intention anyway. If we don't tell Yamaha like it is (at least from our view point and or perspective) how are they going to know what we as consumers of their products want in a keyboard? They are professionals, and believe me they can take the flak. If they couldn't they would have been out of business years ago.

I don't think the problem is with Yamaha U.S. btw. Their support staff has been very willing to relay our suggestions and concerns to the corporate headquarters in Japan. The problem is getting the higher up's in Japan to listen and then implement our requests. Roland has done it with the G70 and Korg has done it with the Pa1XPRO. Why is Yamaha still unwilling to take that same venture? Because I think they still have misgivings about the PSR 9000PRO, which they themselves pronounced as a 'failed experiment'. Maybe also they don't have the technical know how to pull it off successfully, who knows? Although I find that highly unlikely myself. Maybe the water is too cold and they don't want to get their feet wet again. But I think the market is ripe for a lightweight high end cutting edge 76 note Arranger. And as they say failure is the back door to success, and nothing ventured nothing gained.

The incremental upgrade thing doesn't really appeal to me. Give me something that will make it worth my while to upgrade. Not same o same o with a little dash of this and a little sprinklin' of that added.

But it is true that Yamaha isn't necessarily looking for people to sell their Tyros I and get the Tyros II. They are looking to grab the attention of first time customers who own a PSR 550 or something similar and other Brand consumers looking for a high end Board that appeals to them. And I think the most enticing feature on the new Tyros will be the Mega Voices that will be playable in a live situation. And also the Sampler and the nicer keybed, although the keys will be the same width as the original Tyros from what I understand.

In conclusion, Yamaha has at least two Tyros II's that they know they will sell. One to you Scott and one to Scott Yee.

Beyond that I'm not too sure how well the Tyros II will be received by the general public. Because, in my opinion, it is an incremental upgrade to the Tyros I, it will cost more than the original, and if it's not secured at all time it may up and fly away on its owner.

Best regards,
Mike

#98411 - 08/16/05 10:43 AM Re: Some info about Tyros-2
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Light weight and 76 notes is a hard combination to pull off - the key-bed is longer, so more strength is needed to stop it from flexing, and usually one wants a more solid touch from a keyboard this large, to make piano playing more expressive.

Both of these things will add weight to a keyboard.

But isn't it strange that the same people who'll bitch at the 10-20 lbs extra for a 76-note key-bed, can't get over the sound of a real B3, or a Rhodes73, and probably gigged with one in their youth!!

As to the 88/76/73/61 note debate - well, if you're happy with 61, good for you! who needs to play arpeggios and still reserve two octaves for the Chord Recognition area? (well, me for one!) - if you like 73 (a la Nord) you don't play left-hand Bass, because missing that low E is a BAD THING!! 76 noters seem to be the best compromise between weight (most people want the weight of an 88's touch, not just the number of notes) and ability to play with a good range and still have notes left over for the Arranger Recognition (or split the Upper area and still have range in both sounds). Piano players could argue that 76 with a low C at the bottom might be better, but they aren't likely to be happy without 88, even though most piano literature before the 19th century (and much after) can be played on 76.

#98412 - 08/16/05 10:49 AM Re: Some info about Tyros-2
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
" but when I need the Korg voice, I have to turn off midi signal recognition on the Tyros or de-select the C voice on the Tyros so that both sounds don't trigger as I play."

You could just have each keyboard on it's own volume pedal.
DonM

#98413 - 08/16/05 10:50 AM Re: Some info about Tyros-2
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
"Light weight and 76 notes is a hard combination to pull off"

Ketron SD1 does it nicely.
DonM

#98414 - 08/16/05 11:10 AM Re: Some info about Tyros-2
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Light weight and 76 notes is a hard combination to pull off - the key-bed is longer, so more strength is needed to stop it from flexing, and usually one wants a more solid touch from a keyboard this large, to make piano playing more expressive.

Both of these things will add weight to a keyboard.

But isn't it strange that the same people who'll bitch at the 10-20 lbs extra for a 76-note key-bed, can't get over the sound of a real B3, or a Rhodes73, and probably gigged with one in their youth!!

As to the 88/76/73/61 note debate - well, if you're happy with 61, good for you! who needs to play arpeggios and still reserve two octaves for the Chord Recognition area? (well, me for one!) - if you like 73 (a la Nord) you don't play left-hand Bass, because missing that low E is a BAD THING!! 76 noters seem to be the best compromise between weight (most people want the weight of an 88's touch, not just the number of notes) and ability to play with a good range and still have notes left over for the Arranger Recognition (or split the Upper area and still have range in both sounds). Piano players could argue that 76 with a low C at the bottom might be better, but they aren't likely to be happy without 88, even though most piano literature before the 19th century (and much after) can be played on 76.

Hi
Given your discussion above, it would be interesting to get your opinion on this 76 key controller that has its key range from A-C
http://www.music123.com/CME-Controllers-UF6-61-Note-USB-Midi-Keyboard-Controller-i159498.music

#98415 - 08/16/05 11:31 AM Re: Some info about Tyros-2
to the genesys Offline

But it is true that Yamaha isn't necessarily looking for people to sell their Tyros I and get the Tyros II. They are looking to grab the attention of first time customers who own a PSR 550 or something similar and other Brand consumers looking for a high end Board that appeals to them. And I think the most enticing feature on the new Tyros will be the Mega Voices that will be playable in a live situation. And also the Sampler and the nicer keybed, although the keys will be the same width as the original Tyros from what I understand.

[/B][/QUOTE]

This is how I feel as a person who already has a high-end arranger.

The only way I would consider the Tyros II is if it were in a module form.

For 2 primary reasons: 1. I do not want to go through the expense of getting another high-end arranger and 2. I don’t want to carry another keyboard (that is in addition to my first arranger) on a gig. I would not even want to sell my original arranger because I would not want to recreate or convert my custom styles and set-ups.

I think the Tyros II would be good for those who don’t have a high-end arranger and for those who have the Tyros I and see the need to upgrade (obviously they would want the best version of the keyboard).

But for a person who already has a medium to high-end arranger or keyboard whether by Yamaha or another brand getting the Tyros II would not be an option.

But if it were a module they would be more incline to look at it.

For example, a satisfied owner of a G70, unless that person has a lot of money to spend would probably not even look at a keyboard version of the Tyros II. But if it were in a module, they may look at it and may be by it if it is reasonably priced in order to complement their set-up.

It is easier to carry on a gig one keyboard and a module rather than two full keyboards.

#98416 - 08/22/05 05:29 AM Re: Some info about Tyros-2
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi All
Just got my September edition of Organ and Keyboard magazine, and it confirms that Tyros 2 will be launched at the Caister Organ and keyboard Festival UK, on Saturday 1st October.
It is also one of the open days so it will allow others not attending the Festival to see the launch.
As most other keyboard manufactures will be there, you will be able to compare the Tyros 2 with keyboards from Roland, Ketron, and Wersi etc.
Enjoy

Bill

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online