SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#98319 - 10/30/04 11:33 AM Re: If not music: What's YOUR Profession?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
I need to connect with some of my other talents

Good for you, UD... BTW, what are those 'other talents'?

#98320 - 10/30/04 11:40 AM Re: If not music: What's YOUR Profession?
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
With all the fantastic people giving some funny summaries of their job and lack thereof, I'm nearly embarrassed to say that I have been employed by the Norwegian Air Force for 22 years. I have been flying fighter aircraft for 11 years, and following a staff tour I,m now flying search and rescue helicopters for the same company, as I have been the last 5 years.
Music is my BIG interest, and I always say I can teach a monkey to fly, but to become a desent musician takes a lifetime. (I was an instructor pilot in Texas for five of my fighter years.)

------------------
Roy-Andrč

#98321 - 10/30/04 11:51 AM Re: If not music: What's YOUR Profession?
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Hey Scott,

Sys Admin for the University of Minnesota Libraries. I focus on Microsoft products but also provide backup support for Novell. I dabble in web-related stuff along with programming in Perl, ASP, and VB.

How 'bout you? Has music been your only career choice?

-mike

#98322 - 10/30/04 12:13 PM Re: If not music: What's YOUR Profession?
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
I've had a variety of "careers". From mining, to heavy equipment, to explosives.

I am now an AutoCAD tech, mapping & gis in addition to graphic art.

I've been in over a dozen great bands, and have performed as a solo artist, for more years than I can remember.
I'm currently...and hopefully it will continue...playing kbs & guitar with "Consenting Adults". 5 piece. Some Classic R&R, R&B, and Top 40. I'm enjoying myself, and isn't that what it's all about?
------------------
...L

[This message has been edited by shboom (edited 11-01-2004).]

#98323 - 10/30/04 01:57 PM Re: If not music: What's YOUR Profession?
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by shboom:
I'm enjoying myself, andisn't that what it's all about?

Most certainly is!

------------------
Roy-Andrč

#98324 - 10/30/04 02:06 PM Re: If not music: What's YOUR Profession?
Quasar Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by royandreno:
With all the fantastic people giving some funny summaries of their job and lack thereof, I'm nearly embarrassed to say that I have been employed by the Norwegian Air Force for 22 years.

Why would you be "nearly embarrassed" by that? Would it be because you're part of the defense of a peace-loving nation whom all the civilized world admires and respects? BTW, I've done my homework, and the Norwegian folks response re standing up to the Nazis was second to none.

God bless ya'

#98325 - 10/30/04 02:09 PM Re: If not music: What's YOUR Profession?
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:

OK, I'm calm now. Seriously - I intend to re-structure my work load. This 6 night schedule is making me nuts. I need to get off stage a bit. I need to connect with some of my other talents, and explore some new possibilities. Cripes ..... I've been singing for my supper since I was in High School. I need some down time, and SOON.

That does it ! I'm taking a break and going to Miami to see my son's new place. [/B]

Calm down Dave...
I own a small company and still work six days a week.
(bussiness administrations - taxwork - payrolls etc...)

My tasks ay work;
Accountant
Taxadvisor
Personel chief
System manager
Trouble shooter on all levels

But I do take a long holiday each year..

Fred

#98326 - 10/30/04 02:14 PM Re: If not music: What's YOUR Profession?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
My first playing job was in an officrs club at Ladd AFB in Fairbanks, Alaska at age 11. I have had 9 weeks off from playing at least 4 nights a week since I started, and I'll be 59 soon. Music has been good to me...I put three kids through graduate school with no student loans and bought lots of nice toys, including over 300 stringed instruments.

I spent 30 years as a director of communications for an international electrical equipment manufacturer, and my contract let me do outside work. In 1995, my position was moved to Chicago, and I chose to stay in Lexington and develop my outside work into a full-time thing. Currently, I teach comunication research at a local college and run my communications consulting/production firm. We do video production, strategic planning, high-end graphic design, package design and channel management Our client include two bank holding companies,two credit unions, a manufacturer of medical and dental lighting, an Itallian manufacturer of staircases and some smaller manufacturers of retail hardware products.

I do marketing for the restaurant I play, but that's the only retail client we have.

Music helps the day work. We do lots of film scores for our clients and for independent producters.

I decided years ago to only do for a living what I would do for fun. After graduatung as an accountant, I worked two weeks and decided I hated it. I went back to playing and graduate school and have been having fun every since.

Russ

#98327 - 10/30/04 02:27 PM Re: If not music: What's YOUR Profession?
The Accordionist Offline

Sales slime in the high-tech networking arena for the past 12 years....specializing in Routers...

Accordionist for the past 25 years....If I could make the same (or even close) money I make with my real job doing something in the music industry I would in a heartbeat...maybe some day down the road...I envy those of you that can....

Tommy

Oh yeah - to the fighter pilot - I have been a private pilot for the past ten years or so and I consider myself an average pilot...those of you that can be instructors or even THINK about flying something like a fighter jet are my heros! I am still WAY behind a stinking V-35 Bonanza!

[This message has been edited by The Accordionist (edited 10-30-2004).]

#98328 - 10/30/04 05:23 PM Re: If not music: What's YOUR Profession?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
In addition to doing 70 music jobs per year, I also do Web Design and programming on the side.

Oh yea, in my spare time, I build and run software systems for Wall Street firm Merrill Lynch's Investment Banking division. I commute 60 miles each way to Manhattan by train.

[This message has been edited by kbrkr (edited 10-30-2004).]

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online