SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#97736 - 06/11/06 02:21 PM SCOTT YEE IS HAVING PC PROBLEMS.....HELP
Dnj Offline

he told me he tried to update his codecs in a program in windows media player update & it screwed up his PC bad........he cant post at all & his PC is acting very weird....if you can help please call him asap or contact him asap.......

if you need his phone email me

thanx

#97737 - 06/11/06 02:31 PM Re: SCOTT YEE IS HAVING PC PROBLEMS.....HELP
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
All he needs to do is use system tools to restore his computer to a previous restore point prior to installation of the codecs.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#97738 - 06/11/06 04:41 PM Re: SCOTT YEE IS HAVING PC PROBLEMS.....HELP
TwoNuts Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Washington. USA
I concur. Rolling back to a working installation has saved my bacon many a time.
Start button, Accessories, Sytem Tools, System Restore. Then select from the calendar to a previous day that did work correctly.

Regards,

Dennis

Dennis L. Almond
aka...TwoNuts

#97739 - 06/11/06 04:48 PM Re: SCOTT YEE IS HAVING PC PROBLEMS.....HELP
Dnj Offline

I also suggested the same restore procedure to him......I hope he can do that, he's pretty depressed and aggravated now............;(

#97740 - 06/11/06 05:42 PM Re: SCOTT YEE IS HAVING PC PROBLEMS.....HELP
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
All he needs to do is use system tools to restore his computer to a previous restore point prior to installation of the codecs.

Hi Al: Tried that, no luck. Even though a number of system restore points were listed as available (including the most recent, which was: 'Windows Media Runtime program install', when I tried to initiate any of these restore points, Windows came back and said restore point no longer available. There appears to be some weird thing going causing my PC to first freeze, changing the cursor display, and then followed by my PC automatically shutting down.

Yesterday afternoon, I ran Norton Anti-Virus immediately BEFORE installing the Windows Media Audio 9.1 Codec update for dbPower Music Converter . Here is the exe file I downloaded and installed from the dbPowerAmp website. I assume this included the "Windows Media Runtime exe" refered to by the latest (6/10) system restore point which didn't work. After installing the Windows codecs for dbPowerAmp, the program seemed to work fine accessing the new (updated) windows codecs.

Ok, .... I'm now begining to think my PC freeze + shutdown problem has nothing to do with the above Windows Codec installation afterall, but instead, has something to do with my Firefox 1.7 Internet browser. Why? I have both IE 6 & Firefox installed, but now noticing the problem only happening when I'm in Firefox (not IE), with the freeze up occuring only after I attempt to move (with my mouse), the currently open Firefox web browser window. I'm using IE6 to type this post, and (so far at least), the cursor freeze + PC shut down isn't hapening in IE. Could Firefox be possibly corrupted or infected with a virus, even though Norton AntiVirus, with latest virus defs, shows my PC clean of virus'? What do you recommend I do next? Deinstall & then reinstall Firefox 1.7?

A great BIG thanks to DNJ for initiating this thread. Thanks buddy. I've also put in a telephone call to Synthzone's resident PC expert, Mike Sutliff as well. Thanks again to all for any help you can offer.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 06-11-2006).]

#97741 - 06/11/06 06:04 PM Re: SCOTT YEE IS HAVING PC PROBLEMS.....HELP
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Scott, my daughter is experiencing much the same thing after trying to run a virus scan a week ago. My son is going to look at it this week. If we find anything, I'll let you know. I'm sure it is a form of that virus that went around last year that shut down most of Microsoft business posts. Good luck to both of us.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 06-11-2006).]

#97742 - 06/11/06 06:32 PM Re: SCOTT YEE IS HAVING PC PROBLEMS.....HELP
KeithB Offline

Loc: Melbourne AUSTRALIA
Scott, I'm just curious; you said you installed Firefox 1.7. The latest, according to my set up, is Firefox 1.5 - are you sure it is 1.7?
Keith

#97743 - 06/11/06 10:49 PM Re: SCOTT YEE IS HAVING PC PROBLEMS.....HELP
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
After a clean install of OS + programs......
The answer is use Norton Ghost image to save an image of you OS + programs to a spare partition. PC user never bother until something like this problem happens.
I can install my Ghost Image back within 15 minutes, that's the complete Win XP + programs. I do it every 3 months just to get back to a clean system again.
I have used Norton Ghost Image for the past 10 years.

#97744 - 06/11/06 11:08 PM Re: SCOTT YEE IS HAVING PC PROBLEMS.....HELP
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello Scott
Did you uninstall Firefox 1.5 and its install folder before loading Mozilla 1.7, as there are known problems if you install over the top. http://www.mozilla.org/docs/end-user/guide/get-started.html#before-installing-mozilla Follow the instructions to the letter, or problems will occur.
My personal recommendation is to uninstall Mozilla 1.7 and reinstall Firefox 1.5, unless you really need the extra features of Mozilla 1.7.
Hope this helps.

Bill

#97745 - 06/12/06 03:27 AM Re: SCOTT YEE IS HAVING PC PROBLEMS.....HELP
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Scott,

Really sorry to hear about your PC problems. The shutdown problem has me worried in that the only software issue that can cause that behavior is a Untrapped or Wild Interrupt. These usually occur only after new Hardware is installed. The interrupts are used by the CPU and the expansion cards to get CPU cycles. Each board should have it's own unique interrupt. If there are conflicts, the computer will try to reset to clear the problem.

The only other anomoly that could cause a computer re-boot is some software is making illegal function calls or memory access to hardware memory areas.

I can't see how Mozilla would cause this kind of corruption or incompatibility unless it is writing specifically to Ports 21 or such; and that is just nasty.

Are you sure you haven't installed new hardware lately?

------------------
Al Giordano
www.al-giordano.com

Tyros 2, Yamaha P-250, Korg Triton Extreme 76, Roland VK8-M, DW Collectors Series Drums

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#97746 - 06/12/06 10:01 AM Re: SCOTT YEE IS HAVING PC PROBLEMS.....HELP
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Graham UK:
The answer is use Norton Ghost image to save an image of you OS + programs to a spare partition. PC user never bother until something like this problem happens.
I can install my Ghost Image back within 15 minutes, that's the complete Win XP + programs. I do it every 3 months just to get back to a clean system again.
I have used Norton Ghost Image for the past 10 years.

I agree it has saved my butt many times.

#97747 - 06/12/06 10:10 AM Re: SCOTT YEE IS HAVING PC PROBLEMS.....HELP
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Couple of years ago, a friend had a lockup problem with a browswer. I can't recall but I think it was wiwth IE. Anyway, it would lockup the computer. It was a virus. I think it was a "worm." It took me a ridiculous amount of time to get it going. Like 16 hours or so.

BTW, this was a well-known virus/worm. I don't recall the name of it but it hit countless thousands of computers.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#97748 - 06/12/06 10:36 AM Re: SCOTT YEE IS HAVING PC PROBLEMS.....HELP
kla4 Offline

Loc: NL
Having a drive image is extremely important. I myself use 'Drive Image by PowerQuest' and in case of any serious trouble restoring is a piece of cake.

The image I took was created after a clean installation of XP, drivers, updates, patches, MSoffice, best audio-programs. (2 DVD's)

Another handy tool is HitmanPro ( at www.hitmanpro.nl) to get rid of spyware etc. Works perfect.

[This message has been edited by kla4 (edited 06-12-2006).]

#97749 - 06/12/06 12:18 PM Re: SCOTT YEE IS HAVING PC PROBLEMS.....HELP
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Hi Scott. I used dbpoweramp last year and it messed up my PC big time. I don't think it likes to work with Windows Media player or Creative Media Source all at the same time (or it may be AMD processors?). I refuse to install it now and have not had any problems since. I'm not sure what Google and the forums say these days but there were quite a few compatablility issues when I checked last time. Good luck bud.

#97750 - 06/12/06 02:11 PM Re: SCOTT YEE IS HAVING PC PROBLEMS.....HELP
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
Scott, my daughter is experiencing much the same thing after trying to run a virus scan a week ago. My son is going to look at it this week. If we find anything, I'll let you know. I'm sure it is a form of that virus that went around last year that shut down most of Microsoft business posts.

Ok gang: After speaking with Synthzone PC gurus Bill (Abacus) & Mike Sutliff on Skype, I think I've finally got the problem licked. It appears that upon installing the Windows 9.1 Codec updates (for dbAmp Music Converter) that Mozilla Firefox 1.07 (sorry for citing 1.17 by mistake), that it may have corrpupted something in Mozilla Firefox, causing (when browsing in Firefox) that more than annoying unexpectant freeze+shutdown in Firefox thing to happen.

I've since REMOVED Firefox 1.07 (via add/remove programs)and everything appears to be working fine again. The only glitch I encountered trouble getting IE (not Firefox) my default browswer again. I've since discovered that not only did I have to go to the IE Internet Properties: 'Programs Tab' window, and check the 'Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser' checkbox, but also SELECT the 'Reset Web Settings' button on that same page as well. Only after doing BOTH these things was I then able to OPEN web links (via IE), from other programs.

Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
Scott, my daughter is experiencing much the same thing after trying to run a virus scan a week ago. I'm sure it is a form of that virus that went around last year

I don't think my situation arose from a result of a virus, especially because I ran Norton Anti-virus and everything came back clean. I believe my problem arose from installation of new WMA codec files Firefox couldn't recognize, of which may have corrupted the Firefox registry. Anyway, if your symptoms or things that let up to the problem on your daugheter's PC is similar to mine, you might try the steps I took. I hope you'll find a fix soon as well.

Quote:
Originally posted by KeithB:
Scott, I'm just curious; you said you installed Firefox 1.7. The latest, according to my set up, is Firefox 1.5 - are you sure it is 1.7?
Keith

Sorry, my error. I had version 1.07 installed.

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham UK:
The answer is use Norton Ghost image to save an image of you OS + programs to a spare partition.

Graham. Thanks for the wise suggestion. Realizing there are several competing software programs which do the same thing, is Norton Ghost still the prefered utility for this task?

Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
reinstall Firefox 1.5, unless you really need the extra features of Mozilla 1.7.

Bill, per your recommendation, I've completed removed Firefox 1.07, and using IE 6 alone for now. Also per your recommendation, I attempted to upgrade to IE 7 beta2, but following installation & reboot, for whatever reason, IE7 beta2 did not succesfully install, leaving me with the latest version IE6 instead. Mike Sutliff tried the same thing on his PC and met with the same result. In the meantime, I still haven't decided whether I'll install Mozilla Firefox 1.5 now or not, especially because IE6 seems to functioning w/o problems.

Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
The shutdown problem has me worried in that the only software issue that can cause that behavior is a Untrapped or Wild Interrupt. These usually occur only after new Hardware is installed.

Interestingly enough, no new hardware has been added recently, but the good thing is that after having removed Firefox 1.07, and no longer browsing with it, the problem (fingered crossed) seems to have disappeared completely.

Quote:
Originally posted by kla4:
Having a drive image is extremely important. I myself use 'Drive Image by PowerQuest' and in case of any serious trouble restoring is a piece of cake.Another handy tool is HitmanPro . . . to get rid of spyware etc

Kla4: Yes, I'm familiar with this excellent program. Does Drive image basically accomplish the same thing as Norton Ghost? Curious how these 2 programs compare? For Spyware, I run "SpySweeper" & "Adaware" and they seem to be doing the job.

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig_UK:
I used dbpoweramp last year and it messed up my PC big time.

Hi Craig, sorry to hear about the problems you had with dbpoweramp, but I suspect the problem I was experiencing had nothing to do with dbpoweramp itself, but Firefox instead. Of course I can't be certain, but so far now, everything's working good again. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Wow. This truly is a terrific forum for not music alone, but just about everything else too. Many Thanks again to EVERYONE that responded for your input and help. Much appreciated guys.

Scott

#97751 - 06/12/06 02:27 PM Re: SCOTT YEE IS HAVING PC PROBLEMS.....HELP
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
I also use drive image but they were bought out by Norton so if you search for drive image the norton ghost page is what usually shows up.

#97752 - 06/15/06 05:16 PM Re: SCOTT YEE IS HAVING PC PROBLEMS.....HELP
Scottyee Offline

Yipee! My PC Problem is finally RESOLVED!
Both the SOURCE of the problem and the FIX (resolution) to it have been solved & performed. As others had suggested, I initially suspected the problem was perhaps the result of a recent upgrade installation of Windows Media Audio Codecs for 'dbPower Amp Music Converter', or possibly a corruption with my Mozilla 'Firefox Internet Browser Program'. In the meantime, Synthzone Member Bill (Abacus) contacted & advised me that neither of those things would typically cause the PC to completely turn itself off the way mine did. Bill suspected the problem instead, to be HARDWARE related, and possibly a corrputed or out of date Video Card driver instead, causing the Video Card itself to malfunction. Lo and behold, following the next incidence of my PC's freeze & crash syndrome, and then giving permission for my PC to report the crash incidence to Microsoft, Microsoft returned with a message saying my Video Card driver needed to be updated, and then automatically launched Windows Updater, presenting the latest Driver for my Video Card available on my PC's screen to download and install via Windows Updater. AFter running Windows Updater and installing the new driver, everything's working fine again. (knock on wood). Many thanks to EVERYONE here, but especially Bill (Abacus) and Mike Sutliff for their expertise and support. - Scott

#97753 - 06/16/06 12:09 AM Re: SCOTT YEE IS HAVING PC PROBLEMS.....HELP
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Glad to be of help.

Bill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online