SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#97587 - 01/12/02 08:28 PM Sorting your files unto a floppy disk ....
mbl Offline

Loc: el paso tx
Friends,

Windows uses virtual sorting of its subdirectories so they can be displayed by name, by date, etc.

But since files may not be physically sorted in the hard disk, when one copies style files to the floppy they are copied in whatever way they are physically stored.

I searched the net many times, with no results, for a utitlity that would put the files in the floppy by alphabet, to no avail. I also sought help in some windows forums with no proper advise.

However, DOS commands can be piped. And just today I found that, in a DOS window, if one is at the subdirectory of interest, one can copy the styles from there to a floppy with the files resulting at the floppy in and alphabetized order as follows:

-----------------------
COPY *.STY A: |SORT
-----------------------

Of course 'STY' may be any other file type and you can apply all of the usual parameters that apply to the copy command.

SORT is not a parameter. It is actually another DOS command that is used to sort the contents of a file, hence this use of piping it with the COPY command is a little obscure.

Thought this might be useful to some of you. If others have a different solution, would you share it?

Thanks.

#97588 - 01/12/02 09:52 PM Re: Sorting your files unto a floppy disk ....
Beakybird Offline

There is a freeware program called Foldersort. This is a great program for keyboards that don't sort the styles in alphabetical order (My old PSR740 didn't but the PSR2000 does). You can find it by doing a simple web search under that name. If not, email me and I will send it to you.

Larry

#97589 - 01/13/02 12:37 AM Re: Sorting your files unto a floppy disk ....
mbl Offline

Loc: el paso tx
Thank you much, Larry.

Foldersort does the job simpler. I am glad that the 2000 does that job intrinsically.

I just downloaded it...

#97590 - 01/13/02 12:25 PM Re: Sorting your files unto a floppy disk ....
flowerssupply Offline

Loc: Ireland
I just joined in to add that I wish at times that my x1 did not sort files alphabetically and I could then load my files on to x1 hard disk in the order I wanted them. I have to use a prefix to my registrations in hard drive to ensure that songs of a set fot a dance are together EG sLeyroyBrown, sDaDoRon. s = shuffle.
So there you are I,m never satisfied am I best wishes Pierce in Ireland

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online