Got my first guitar when I was 12. Let's see, 40 years have passed...you do the math. I was heavily into guitar until around 1967 when I bought a Farfisa, this was closely followed by a Vox Continental. My first actual synth was my T3, still have it (if something works...don't fix it..right). I had an M1 for a short time, but sold it to a friend....yes we're still friends. I've tried various Roland, and Yamaha models, and I suppose you either love 'em or hate 'em. Personally, I've always had good luck with Korg, so I guess I'm doomed to be a Korg-Addict, although I will say I don't really like the touch screens on the new models. I mainly got into synths to add something different other than guitar or piano to whatever I might be creating. I'm having a good time with it, and it's helped me to pay for every piece of equipment I've owned, so something must be working right.
I guess it's whatever works for you that guides you towards you choice of instrument. My instruments have been my companions for a long time, and as long as we continue to make music together...that's what really matters isn't it?
Just my thots...