SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#96901 - 08/24/03 05:28 PM PSR2000 - Why do I get this error?
MusicJohn Offline

Loc: Garner, NC, USA
Hello All.

I just purchased a PSR2000, and as I am trying to copy a song from a floppy to the User Memory, the unit tells me that the disk is full????

I dont understand, as I have only 1 song in the user memory, and the floppy that I am getting the song from is not full????

What am I overlooking?

Thanks

------------------
MusicJohn

#96902 - 08/24/03 05:54 PM Re: PSR2000 - Why do I get this error?
Joe Waters Offline

Loc: Sterling, VA USA
Hi, MusicJohn!

Congratulations on your new keyboard. The PSR2000 has about the equivalent of one-half of a floppy disk available for "USER" memory. That 720K of space is shared by all the different files you have in the USER area. You may not have any other "songs" stored in USER memory, but you may have styles there, or voices, or multipads, or a different music finder database, or different voices. These all take up that space. This is all explained in some detail in the lessons on the PSR File system at http://psrtutorial.com . Here is a direct link to those lessons:
http://psrtutorial.com/Lessons/L_FileTypes/l_filetypes.html

Since you now have a PSR2000, you will be bookmarking the psrtutorial and going there frequently over the next year as you explore all the capabilities of your new keyboard.

#96903 - 08/25/03 04:46 AM Re: PSR2000 - Why do I get this error?
MusicJohn Offline

Thanks a bunch!

Ill ask a stupid question: Is there any way to increase the user memory?

Thanks again.

------------------
MusicJohn

#96904 - 08/25/03 05:15 AM Re: PSR2000 - Why do I get this error?
Joe Waters Offline

Loc: Sterling, VA USA
Yes, there is -- you could trade your 2000 in for a 2100, but that would only double the amount of USER memory. Alternatively, you could trade up to a Tyros, which hase even more USER memory but, more significantly, has a hard drive option.

But if you keep your 2000, your stuck -- you can't increase that USER memory. That deficiency, however, is offset a bit since it is so fast and easy to load files off the floppy disk. A style loaded from FLOPPY DISK, rather than USER or PRESET areas, only takes a second or two longer to load. PSR-2000 owners will, almost single-handedly, be keeping the floppy disk market alive.

#96905 - 08/25/03 05:21 AM Re: PSR2000 - Why do I get this error?
MusicJohn Offline

Joe,

Thanks again for the info. I think I will spend some time and sit down with a cup of coffee and read the tutorial.

And I will check my user memory to see what else I have stored in there.

------------------
MusicJohn

#96906 - 08/25/03 05:49 AM Re: PSR2000 - Why do I get this error?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I've found you can best manage the memory you have by using it for styles, multipads and/or Music Finder. Play songs from floppy. They take up a lot more memory than the other files.
DonM

#96907 - 08/25/03 07:18 AM Re: PSR2000 - Why do I get this error?
MusicJohn Offline

Don,

Your suggestion warrants the question: How do I edit songs that I take off of a floppy? I have to use the user memeory to move it over to edit and then save back?

------------------
MusicJohn

#96908 - 08/25/03 07:38 AM Re: PSR2000 - Why do I get this error?
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Music John,
When you start a song from the floppy disk, the PSR2000 loads this song into a temporary buffer area. Now, you can edit all you like using the mixing console parameters and when you are done you go into the digital recording section,select song creator, go to the tab which allows you to select "setup", push execute, which locks in your changes made to the song, and finally selecting "save"where you now select where to save this edited song. You can save it on the floppy disk and when you go to save it, if you have not changed the name it will ask you if you wish to replace the song with the same name and you could say "yes" and have the edited song only, or you could have several versions of the same song.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#96909 - 08/25/03 07:40 AM Re: PSR2000 - Why do I get this error?
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
This is why I never opted for a keyboard without HD, or these days, SD card. The only way is like many of the members here do, to combine the kb with a laptop.

------------------
Roy-Andrč

#96910 - 08/25/03 07:41 AM Re: PSR2000 - Why do I get this error?
MusicJohn Offline

George,

Sweet! Real Sweet! Thanks a lot.

This forum never stops amazing me, on how helpful you guys are!!!!

But I still should go and sit and read the tutorial!!!

Thanks again

------------------
MusicJohn

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online