SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#96796 - 12/04/04 08:33 AM Warning! Always Check Your Email Carefully BEFORE Opening !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Warning: I just received a seemingly innocent looking email addressed from our Synthzone moderator Nigel: 'nigelsp@synthzone.com', but which I later discovered to include a hidden imbedded virus(?) file named 'CC4E.tmp'.

The email itself had no obvious file attachment, but when I decided to open the email, my Norton AntiVirus software (thankfully) spotted a hidden file attachment(?) and placed it in my Norton Anti-Virus GUARANTINE folder, with a message saying it wasn't able to repair the file. I of course immediately instructed NAV to remove the file from the Guarantine folder & delete this file from my computer completely.

I suspect now that Nigel's Synthzone email address was somehow 'picked up' & used by some virus scam artist out there, so I'm just warning everyone here to be CAREFUL before opening all email, not only from email senders you don't recognize, but from email addresses you recognize as well. One thing I try to look for before attempting to open any email now is to NOT ONLY check if the sender is a recognziable email address, but that the 'subject line' also includes 'specific pertinent detail' about WHY the sender is writing me as well.

Most IMPORTANTLY: it's critical that we all not only have a good Anti-Virus software program both installed and running (monitoring at all times), but that the LATEST virus definitions are kept automatically UP TO DATE as well.

Scott

#96797 - 12/04/04 08:51 AM Re: Warning! Always Check Your Email Carefully BEFORE Opening !
BillyWa Offline

Loc: Colorado
Good advice Scott, Thanks!

Do you have any software recommendations to fight against adware/spyware?

------------------
"Rock While You Can"
http://www.lastband.com

#96798 - 12/04/04 09:12 AM Re: Warning! Always Check Your Email Carefully BEFORE Opening !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Billy,

I use Adaware SE Plus ($26.96) http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adawareplus/
The BIG advantage of going with the $26.96 version of Adaware is that it includes real time monitoring. The free version of Adaware doesn't include this.

Another program which is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED and FREE is:
Spybot: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

#96799 - 12/04/04 09:17 AM Re: Warning! Always Check Your Email Carefully BEFORE Opening !
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by BillyWa:
Good advice Scott, Thanks!

Do you have any software recommendations to fight against adware/spyware?

Go to Kim Kommando's web site. You can download Virus program (AVG) and spyware program (Spybot) for free. Works great. Also Adaware has a free version.
DonM

#96800 - 12/04/04 10:20 AM Re: Warning! Always Check Your Email Carefully BEFORE Opening !
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Don I have McAfee. Should I also have the one you recommend? You didn't put the address on your post.
Boo

#96801 - 12/04/04 11:48 AM Re: Warning! Always Check Your Email Carefully BEFORE Opening !
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
MailWasher is also a very good prog to use
before you download any mail at all. www.firetrust.com
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#96802 - 12/04/04 12:27 PM Re: Warning! Always Check Your Email Carefully BEFORE Opening !
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Hello Scott.

Thanks!

Chico

#96803 - 12/04/04 03:26 PM Re: Warning! Always Check Your Email Carefully BEFORE Opening !
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by brickboo:
Don I have McAfee. Should I also have the one you recommend? You didn't put the address on your post.
Boo

MacAfee is fine for the virus protection. It doesn't find or deal with spyware as far as I know.
The link is www.komando.com
DonM

#96804 - 12/04/04 06:22 PM Re: Warning! Always Check Your Email Carefully BEFORE Opening !
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Thanks for the warning, Scott.

Glenn

#96805 - 12/04/04 07:35 PM Re: Warning! Always Check Your Email Carefully BEFORE Opening !
Nigel Online   wise
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Warning: I just received a seemingly innocent looking email addressed from our Synthzone moderator Nigel: 'nigelsp@synthzone.com', but which I later discovered to include a hidden imbedded virus(?) file named 'CC4E.tmp'.
Scott

Of course this did not come from me but was created by a virus. I have even received these myself ... supposedly from myself. Viruses simply scan address books and Internet cached pages for email addresses to use as faked to and from email addresses. So anyone that ever uses the BBS has cached pages with my email address at the bottom so it is a prime candidate for viruses to use. Never always believe the "From" email address on emails because they are so easy to fake.

If you are ever unsure always contact the person that supposedly sent the message before opening attachments. Virus created emails are usually easy to detect as being fake.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online