SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#96775 - 11/18/05 12:01 PM Re: Commercial SMF's
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
BTW, for people not interested in Commercial sequences...the title of this topic seems to interest you enough!!

#96776 - 11/18/05 12:26 PM Re: Commercial SMF's
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
The real distinction for me is not SMF or Arranger (style) playing but rather MUSICIAN or ENTERTAINER. Of course it is possible to be both as many on this board are. For ME, if you can step away from the Arranger keyboard and move over to the Steinway in the corner and do a complete set (including accompaning any drunk that walks up to the mike.....in any key), then you're a MUSICIAN, otherwise you're an entertainer. Hey, all entertainers, even the good ones, aren't musicians, just as all musicians aren't entertainers. It is possible, of course, to be both. Depends on your personal goals. Like Roel, I too would find it very 'unsatisfying' (as a musician) playing over a SMF. I will concede that for OMB's, arrangers serve a good function though I would never personally PAY to see anything other than live music (I'm not a big fan of singers).
JMTCW.

chas

#96777 - 11/18/05 12:27 PM Re: Commercial SMF's
George V Offline

Loc: Sofia
Hello,
First I'd like to mention that I don't make a living out of music. I have been playing piano on and off for a long time. I don't claim to be a good pianist but all of you guys who play arrangers seem to me like "one-handed pianists". You have developed extremely good technique with the right hand and poor with the left.

Personally, I play the piano (or organ) part with sequenced playback. This way my hands are free to play. I like the possibility to adjust the playback tracks. I achieve very melodic fill-in harmony parts.

What's more, I strongly dislike these repetitive style patterns. They make music sound even. Certainly this is not so important if you have to entertain people.

Have you tried to compose music like Mozart did? He never used arrangers, all music was in his head.

Nowadays we have powerful arrangers and workstations and music composing, recording and performing is far more easy.

Best regards,
George

[This message has been edited by George V (edited 11-18-2005).]

#96778 - 11/18/05 01:06 PM Re: Commercial SMF's
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
George I'd bet Mozart would have loved a top of the line arranger.....he probably would have cringed when he tried the hip hop style..

#96779 - 11/18/05 01:25 PM Re: Commercial SMF's
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:

You guys are all hung up on this SMF thing way too much...I don't want to convince you or anyone else that this is a great tool...I already know, ....Play in your own limited venue , and I'll play them all...

Fran,... Truer words were never spoken

#96780 - 11/18/05 01:42 PM Re: Commercial SMF's
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Folks, the possibilities in our world run
from purely acoustic instruments with no amplification to amplified instruments, to complicated effects, to arrangers, to complete sequences, harmonizers and other enhancements.

Each of us has to find a place where we're comfortable and make it work, both in terms of taking care of the business thing (getting paid, if that's the objective) and
satisfy ourselves at the same time.

I suspect that musicians and entertainers differ in their choices and outcomes.

I do everything from all instrumentals on a piano or classical guitar to a B-3 and a drummer to a traditional piano upright and drums trio...an arranger...no sequences, but that's my choice and I'm not in a position to tell anyone else what to do.

The point is, DO IT the best you can, and continue to learn, entertain and enjoy the process.

After all, that's what it's all about.

Keep on "pickin and grinnin".

Russ

#96781 - 11/18/05 02:04 PM Re: Commercial SMF's
George V Offline

Loc: Sofia
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
George I'd bet Mozart would have loved a top of the line arranger.....he probably would have cringed when he tried the hip hop style..
I am absolutely sure he wouldn't. What is certain is that he would have laughed at Michel Voncken's interpretation of baroque music (saw the demo at yamaha-europe) - that performance is a real tragedy!!!
Mozart's arrangements are much simpler than those offered by modern arranger-keyboards and his music has survived for over 300 years.
What I've learned from Mozaart is when composing keep arrangement as simple as it can be.
Best regards,
George V

#96782 - 11/18/05 02:30 PM Re: Commercial SMF's
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Whenever I encounter someone who is convinced that only his answer or response is the correct one, especially in situations that offer many possible responses, I tend to discount anything this person has to say (even when there is some value there). There IS no correct answer for everyone, there is only an answer that is valid for YOU. And the other guy's answer is equally valid for HIM. This post should only offend those for whom the shoe fits.

chas

[This message has been edited by cgiles (edited 11-18-2005).]

#96783 - 11/18/05 03:56 PM Re: Commercial SMF's
Route 66 Offline

Loc: Braganca, Portugal
From time to time this discussion (midi files versus style playing) arises and I really don't understand the slight & permanent animosity that surrounds conversation about the subject.

My favourite way of making music is playing with others. I sometimes just comp with a piano, other times use other sounds, sometimes my left hand is the bassist... I have no doubts: this is the best way of learning and of having deep satisfaction from music. But we do know it's not always easy to practice with other musicians, to match schedules and personalities, etc...

In entertaining a crowd alone, I have absolutely no problem in using all tools available. In my modest level of playing, I know how to play in a band, I know the chords (and not only three major chords ), but if I judge adequate, I use SMFs as well, singing and playing along. I never pretend I am playing and never had problems in explaining to my audiences how I'm working. In certain situations I even spend 5/10 minutes in a little demonstration/explanation of the kind of things we can do with an arranger keyboard. Simple piano playing, left hand bass, styles, SMFs and the role fo each track. I guess this is my teacher side I've done gigs with styles only, mixed midi/styles, accompaning the crowds with just chords, and I've had fun in every imaginable way one can use an arranger keyboard. I really can't see the reason to tend to devalue a certain way of entertaining, except perhaps in the extreme case of a professional musician losing his jobs to a low quality entertainer pretending playing his keyboard...

-- José.

[This message has been edited by Route 66 (edited 11-18-2005).]

#96784 - 11/18/05 06:38 PM Re: Commercial SMF's
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hey Guys,
can't we play nice.
I assume everybody has their own favourite type of backing be it a midifile , arranger keyboard, band or solo instrumentalist.
Main thing is to enjoy ourselves & make music , be it as a professional performer or just as a hobbyist.

Actually it's got me intrigued. What did a omb performer do for backing pre midifile & arranger keyboard days? or don't any of you go back that far?

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online