SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#96765 - 11/18/05 10:21 AM Re: Commercial SMF's
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
My 2 cents about this issue:

AS smf player(arranger or others), any enterteiner can make a good work,as well as a DJ.
The musical knowledge is not the more important factor.
When playing sequences in kbds,to pretend play keys that fingers cannot do is sad...
To make LIVE music, without the help of sequences, the true musician appears .
Chico

#96766 - 11/18/05 10:24 AM Re: Commercial SMF's
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Roel:
but hey ..... I'm a musician, NOT a discjockey !!

Roel ... I'm not saying you're not a musician (and this argument has reared its head before on these pages), but let's face the fact that as long as we are using arranger kbs the performance is not soley our own...
While the use of on board styles generally allows for more flexibility, for some of us there are times when the use of an SMF is appropriate ... and with my technics kn6000 I can make lots of changes on the fly to meet my needs at the time ... AND... I always play live with the SMF ...
To paraphrase Dnj, it's all tools of the trade ... use what you need, add your heart and soul, and satisfy the audience AND yourself !!! ...
t.

#96767 - 11/18/05 10:26 AM Re: Commercial SMF's
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Roel you use short sequenced loops[don't be mistaken, that is exactly how styles are consisted]...and I use fully arranged sequences..You are no more a musician playing left hand chords to trigger these short sequences than I or any one else playing over a SMF..

It takes a musician for both arranger and SMF performances to do it right.

I don't need the smilies to make my point!!

#96768 - 11/18/05 10:41 AM Re: Commercial SMF's
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
"Roel you use short sequenced loops[don't be mistaken, that is exactly how styles are consisted]...and I use fully arranged sequences.."

Fran
I think that you made a mistake.
To play Smfs you must press a button.
To play an arranger you must KNOW chords
Just a little difference.
Chico

[This message has been edited by ChicoBrasil (edited 11-18-2005).]

#96769 - 11/18/05 10:47 AM Re: Commercial SMF's
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:

I don't believe Yamaha's XG has the same broad appeal[except Yammie people]...

You could be right in the States, however I have found that in the UK if you mention GS, you usually get a blank look, but mention XG and they know what you mean straight away.

Bill

#96770 - 11/18/05 11:02 AM Re: Commercial SMF's
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
This live verses recordings has been going on since the first rhythm unit was added to an organ, in I think the sixties possibly seventies, (Yes in those days even a rhythm unit was considered cheating) so I doubt if we will ever get everybody in full agreement.
The way I look at it however is that, most keyboard musicians (OMB) what to create a sound that is similar to a live band, group or orchestra etc, unfortunately we do not have enough limbs to play all the individual parts, so I see no problem using Midi, Wav, Styles etc, to get this effect, providing as much as possible is played live.
These are my thoughts yours may be different.

Bill

#96771 - 11/18/05 11:07 AM Re: Commercial SMF's
Roel Offline

Chico you put it VERY right, but for some this is hard to understand..... probably.

Tony:
I didn't write I'm not a musician, in fact I try to be one by NOT using SMF's

Using SMF would never 'satisfy' me. Sure you can play live together with a midifile, but the SMF is leading, where it comes to intro, variations, breaks, fill-ins, endings, chords, arrangements and styles.

While using an arranger the musician is free to choose hundreds of styles, eg. we have several songs that can be played with more than 5 different styles. We just pick the right one for the situation.

Fran:
You seem to be telling an SMF user, like you is a musician and has at least the same musical skills as an arranger keyboardist ??..... well I'm truly shocked!
(No smiley)

#96772 - 11/18/05 11:43 AM Re: Commercial SMF's
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Pardon Me Gentlemen....this is all new to me
all of this sequencing and XG and Labtech and Soundblaster and buttons and GS instruments is wayyyy beyond me, however it appears that you need to be an engineer to play music today which is why I have always respected the people that could play an instrument and why I am trying to teach myself to play keyboard...my respect goes to all of the musicians out there that can play with out the gadgets as well as to all of the musicians out there that know how to play with all of the gadgets..MAN, it's all MUSIC and the thing is to enjoy the end results...SOMEBODY teach me the difference of all of this new wave stuff so I know what direction to take and where the HELL I'm going.....thank you....
Tony Rome

#96773 - 11/18/05 11:45 AM Re: Commercial SMF's
to the genesys Offline

Playing SMFs is not just button pressing.
In order to make it look sound and feel right, you must be able to play very well.
You have to know chords, know how to play left hand bass and know how to use lead voices.
All that while watching people to see if you need to play over any part of the song.

As for arranger playing, I am sure that every one knows the skill it takes to use an arranger effectively.

I find it funny that some persons think that using SMF makes the gig sound too "programmed" and too too much like the originals when those same people would buy arranger keyboards primarily for the onboard styles that sound like some original songs.

I think which ever way one takes (SMFs or full arranger) you just have to do it to the best of your ability and make it sound, look and feel good and real to the people.

After all, arranger playing and playing over a SMF is really just a step up from the K word.

#96774 - 11/18/05 11:58 AM Re: Commercial SMF's
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Roel, I probably have more playing skill then you, but that is not the point..
Playing over a sequence requires as much and maybe more skills than playing in arranger mode..You have to know chord structure of the SMF and be able to make it fit in with the Sequence..I use two hands with sequences[and probably play more detail over a sequence than you do chording a lefthand to the arranger]..
Sometimes I will double up the bass line with the left hand..Always play piano and organ over a sequence and use a color sound[brass etc] with a expression pedal....

Now what part of playing do you not understand?

Chico, I made no mistake....It is not just pushing a button to play a sequence[especially if it's a Yamaha..it takes a couple of button pushes..].

I have the experience in all the methods..be it Piano, organ, accordion, Arranger, SMF , or my favorite way,,Bass, piano, drums and a color sound as I mentioned above..

You guys are all hung up on this SMF thing way too much...I don't want to convince you or anyone else that this is a great tool...I already know, ....Play in your own limited venue , and I'll play them all...

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 11-18-2005).]

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online