SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#96701 - 02/05/01 05:02 AM You are making me confused: MZ200-PSR740
Rodrigues Offline

Loc: Portugal
Hi,
I am confused with your opinions about comparing MZ 2000 and PSR 740. For me, the more important in a keyboard is the imitation of the real instruments, very good quality sound using internal speakers (doesn’t matter big power) and very good DSP(s). The sequencer features are not so important as I prefer to use the Cakewalk for that (much more powerful than any keyboard).
Finally, I found a MZ 2000 and I have played it. Indeed a lot of pro features. But, for me, the voices of MZ 2000 and general sound (using internal speakers) are not in the same league as 740. They are not so realistics and clear as on 740. Also the styles are not so good.
That’s the reason why your favorable opinians about MZ 2000 are confusing me.
Am I with damage ears? Thanks for clarifing my doubts.

Kind Regards
Carlos Rodrigues

#96702 - 02/05/01 06:42 AM Re: You are making me confused: MZ200-PSR740
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I heard the Cascio and I owned the 40 and I agree with you.
DonM

#96703 - 02/05/01 06:55 AM Re: You are making me confused: MZ200-PSR740
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I played the MZ2000 at the NAMM show a few weeks ago here in California, and I mentioned that although I thought this was better than any other casio I've tried, I still thought many of the sounds didn't sound as good as Yamaha, Roland and other keyboards and that for the same price, although the casio keyboard looks very impressive, the Yamaha PSR740 still sounds better in the way the acoustic instruments sound. I too had heard many on this forum saying they like the Casio better and that is why I looked for it at NAMM to give it a try. I thought at first maybe I should seriously consider selling this keyboard in my store, but after playing it for an hour I decided the others I already sell are better, and since receiving the new roland VA-3, I have found a keyboard with a much better sequencer than the Yamaha so I don't see a plus for the Casio.
George Kaye
(Retired 2021)

#96704 - 02/05/01 07:52 AM Re: You are making me confused: MZ200-PSR740
Paul Ip Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas, U.S.A.
I also tried a demo unit in local Mars Music and disliked the sounds and styles of the Casio MZ2000.

Paul Ip
from Texas

#96705 - 02/05/01 10:05 AM Re: You are making me confused: MZ200-PSR740
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
My 2 cents...
I tried a Casio wk-1800. I liked some of the styles a lot. And some of the sounds were very good. I wouldn't mind having one to fool around with. (See, I play for fun - not for a living). But, if pressed, I would agree the 740 is probably better. Thing is, we are always comparing & choosing. And, when it comes to the sounds (voices), we will almost always disagree. Once in a while, I listen to someone expound on what a beautiful flute or violin a certain board has - and I think, he must be kidding. For instance, Yamaha's "Sweet Voices" - they're o.k., but not unbeleivably great. In fact, the sweet flute often sounds crappy. There is just too much variation among all of us, as to what we each like. That is why there is no perfect keyboard. One man's perfect piano is another man's "too bright", etc. The Casio's are not going to replace any of the other "pro" models. But they are pretty cool to play.
Tom
Ready to receive the flames !

[This message has been edited by TomTomSF (edited 02-05-2001).]

#96706 - 02/05/01 11:30 AM Re: You are making me confused: MZ200-PSR740
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I agree with Tom.... The thing is that everyone has their own personal tastes when it comes to sound. The keyboard market has changed a lot over the past 3 years. Makers we never thought would produce anything good are now catching up with the big dogs (casio mz2000 is a good example) It'a all a matter of taste. If you've been playing Yamaha for a long time those sounds my grow on you and one might tend to favor them. Yes yamaha does have some good sounds but it varies with all brands.. Yamaha has good pianos and Rhodes ect, and Korg has killer strings. It doesn't matter if it's a casio or korg, as long as it sounds good to the person who uses it...

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#96707 - 03/01/01 02:54 PM Re: You are making me confused: MZ200-PSR740
jock Offline

Loc: purton,Wilts,UK.
Pound for pound the Yamaha PSr740 kicks but!
Based on a PSR8000 with a smaller speaker system and editing facilities in an effort to keep price down,etc but still shares the same ROM sound chip,Vocal Harmoniser and a dedicated organ flute section and there was nothing wrong with that!I bought it for these
features and am well pleased and prefer it
over the Casio and Roland!This is my opinion
only as musical tastes are very subjective so go for the features you desire.As for out
and out sound quality nothing beats my own PC
setup using over 180Mb of 48KHz samples,the
sound quality is nothing but stunning to say
the least!Now if they could fit that amount
of Sample ROM into a portable keyboard for
a sensible price I think we'd all have one!But at the end of the day I'm in the real world and I need a portable keyboard for gigging and that is why I chose the PSR740,
bearing in mind the recent price drop!
Played through a PA running twin 15s and horns the keyboard delivers the goods,easily
matching the drums/bass in sound quality and sonic pressure/presense if one shuts ones
eyes and listens!Best regards

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online