SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#96674 - 02/27/07 11:39 PM Tyros 2 with Toontrack DFH EZ Drums - demo
chony Offline

Loc: New York
I just got the EZ Drummer I wrote about last week and made a quick comparison recording of the Tyros 2 Contemporary Rock Style first with the EZ drums, then with the T2 Drums.

Please don't mind the mistakes - this is for demonstration purposes only!

I haven't yet made up my mind about EZD, and the truth is there's a lot of tweaking and experimenting that I'll need to do. One certain down side is that this is a monster CPU hog. I recorded 4 tracks (2 stereo tyros, 2 stereo drums) onto Cubase simultaneously - and Cubase didn't handle the recording very smoothly as you will hear.
http://chabadwedding.com/music/TyrosEZD.mp3

Chony

[This message has been edited by chony (edited 02-27-2007).]

#96675 - 02/28/07 12:16 AM Re: Tyros 2 with Toontrack DFH EZ Drums - demo
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
There is no doubt a difference between the first and the second part of the recording and -for the particular style you choose- I would say that the first part sounds more authentic (the drums in the second part sound like they were closed in a box, but maybe this depends just on the different reverb used?)
So, in summary, how did you use the program? Did you send the midi signal from your Tyros 2 to your PC to trigger the EZ drums? Are there styles/patterns inside EZ drummer? And what about different kind of drum samples, i.e. more suited for acoustic atmospheres, like percussions or brushes?

#96676 - 02/28/07 12:17 AM Re: Tyros 2 with Toontrack DFH EZ Drums - demo
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Tyros 2 Bebop Style featuring EZ Drummer, B4 etc, it is taken from an Austrian site so originally in German but I have used Alta Vista to Translate.

Here of H. Eder live a eingspieltes demo piece, to the WERSI Scala GS700 with OAA - T2 Style Bebop, however with VST Drum software EZ Drummer. Sounds nevertheless like one live-bound. With B4, Brass, piano, bass and insanity Drummer. (Sorry for the small "Patzer"... : -)
http://www.wersi.co.at/Downloads/doc_download-1272.html

Enjoy

Bill

#96677 - 02/28/07 01:44 AM Re: Tyros 2 with Toontrack DFH EZ Drums - demo
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
It's probably better to record a MIDI file, and then play THAT thorough the EZD (or render it offline) rather than expect really low latency from it live. DFH stuff uses a lot of ambience data (7.1 surround interleaved files on the full version) that taxes the computer at very low latencies.

Did you try it in standalone mode? It may perform better for live use like that....

And, again, the dynamics of the drum-track depends entirely on how dynamic the original style is, something that, at times I didn't hear. There were several identical hits in some of the snare fills. There's a mode in the full DFH that allows you to trigger adjacent velocity samples if it receives identical velocities. Does EZD do this?

We use the full BFD in the studio, and no doubt, if you send it good files, it can be VERY hard to tell if it is a machine, but live can be tricky.....

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 02-28-2007).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online