SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#96012 - 06/20/05 08:44 AM Is there a Vocal Harmony 'Plug-in' feature for Sonar 4 Available?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
One cool feature of $49 PowerTracks Audio Pro (versions 9 & 10) is that it includes a built-in software vocal processor (TC Helicon) which allows you to easily select & add different types of vocal harmonies to your vocal tracks. I'm wondering if there's a similar dedicated software vocal processor feature included, or available as a 3rd party 'plug-in', for use with 'Cakewalk Sonar 4' as well? Anyone know? Thanks in advance.

Scott

#96013 - 06/20/05 01:10 PM Re: Is there a Vocal Harmony 'Plug-in' feature for Sonar 4 Available?
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Scott, Yes & No.

You can use pitch correction software such as Antares but not Vocal Harmonizers such as DecaBuddy or VoiceMachine. These require an Audio Input Bus where you can install an effect such as DecaBuddy. Also DecaBuddy needs to see the midi notes you are using for creating the harmony. It is sad that Cakewalk have not seen fit to add this option to both Project5 and Sonar 4. Cubase has this feature and so has forte Ensemble.

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 06-20-2005).]

#96014 - 06/21/05 10:47 AM Re: Is there a Vocal Harmony 'Plug-in' feature for Sonar 4 Available?
Scottyee Offline

Frank, thanks for responding.

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
not Vocal Harmonizers such as DecaBuddy or VoiceMachine. These require an Audio Input Bus where you can install an effect such as DecaBuddy. Also DecaBuddy needs to see the midi notes you are using for creating the harmony.

Since both DeccaBuddy & VoiceMachine are 'VST plug-ins', and Sonar 4 now claims to fully support all VST plug-ins, I'd expected the Audio input Bus support to be included. As far as the midi (chord) notes (for vocal chordal harmony tracking), can I simply have Deccabuddy or VoiceMachine pick up the 'chord info' from one of the chordal instrument auto-accomp tracks, or from my live chord playing: piano-LH voice?

I was advised by Akai (producer of DeccaBuddy) that because Sonar version 4 supports VST plug-ins, that Deccabuddy indeed now works fine with Sonar 4. He added though that "Deccabuddy" is now discontinued by Akai. He wouldn't openly admit it, but hinted there are much better sounding (vst and/or directx) type "vocal harmony" software plug-ins available now that sound better, and work with Sonar 4 too. I'm curious which specific vocal harmonizer software plug-ins he might be refering to. Might it be the VST plug-in from Steinberg: "VoiceMachine"? Becasue Steinberg was recently purchased by Sony, I wonder if "VoiceMachine" is still available. Anyone know?

I think I'm begining to realize that for the most realistic sounding vocal harmonies, it's probably better to use an outboard hardware vocal harmonizer like the TC Helicon VoiceWorks, which I already own.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 06-21-2005).]

#96015 - 06/21/05 01:31 PM Re: Is there a Vocal Harmony 'Plug-in' feature for Sonar 4 Available?

Scott, I have attempted to get DecaBuddy and VoiceMachine to work in Sonar 4 and Project5 and I can tell you that they do not. The chord (midi notes) do not reach these VSTs. I talked to Cakewalk Tech Support via Phone and Email and indeed that is the case. Antares works because it is designed to accept midi notes from within the DXi vs the host. In forte Ensemble both these VST effects work as designed. I send chords (harmonies) via my left hand split on my controller keyboard. They would also work properly in Cubase.

Scott, you are right that the hardware based solutions sound & work better but for me I wanted to create a totally software based system. For me it works well.

There are other voice harmonizers but they are not well known, e.g., Clone Ensemble, UltraPitch, etc.

There is now a discussion started to turn Kontakt into a auto harmonizer (RH voice from LH chords) using its Script feature (NI Kontakt Forum). This is different from a vocal harmonizer.

Scott, I thought Steinberg was purchased by Yamaha. I might be wrong.

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 06-21-2005).]

#96016 - 06/21/05 02:50 PM Re: Is there a Vocal Harmony 'Plug-in' feature for Sonar 4 Available?
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Scott, I have attempted to get DecaBuddy and VoiceMachine to work in Sonar 4 and Project5 and I can tell you that they do not. The chord (midi notes) do not reach these VSTs. I talked to Cakewalk Tech Support via Phone and Email and indeed that is the case.

Frank, thanks for re-confirming this. The sales person I spoke with at Akai USA: (401)658-4032 obviously didn't know what he was talking about claiming DeccaBuddy "definitely works" with Sonar 4: http://www.akaipro.com/contact.html

Quote:

Scott, I thought Steinberg was purchased by Yamaha. I might be wrong.

Frank, you're actually RIGHT ! I stand corrected. Yamaha recently purchased Steinberg:
http://www.global.yamaha.com/news/2004/20041221.html

so I hope Cubase will soon include support for: Yamaha exclusive Sysex "XF file" data. I hope there might be some kind of annoucement by Yamaha of this forthcoming.

Scott

#96017 - 06/21/05 11:32 PM Re: Is there a Vocal Harmony 'Plug-in' feature for Sonar 4 Available?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA

#96018 - 06/22/05 12:09 AM Re: Is there a Vocal Harmony 'Plug-in' feature for Sonar 4 Available?
Scottyee Offline

Nigel, wow, interesting to discover that Decca Buddy's been around (in its orginal form) since July 2002. . . nearly 3 years! quite a LONG time for computer software. I suspect current software advances may have outgrown Decca Buddy's further improvement possibilites, causing Akai to decide to discontinue it now. I wonder if Akai (or other software developer) is planning to come out soon with an even better sounding software 'vocal harmonizer' VST and/or DirectX plug-in soon. I do think the future is software based arrangers. How soon it will finally become OS stable enough & all operation parameters (calling up patches, regs, etc) easily & quickly accessible for live performance is the question. Frank, I'm really excited about the prospects, and especially appreciate your posts which keep us all here abreast on the latest developments on software arrangers. - Scott

#96019 - 06/22/05 05:21 AM Re: Is there a Vocal Harmony 'Plug-in' feature for Sonar 4 Available?

Scott, thanks for your kind comments.

It would be nice if we could get Antares to accept the challenge. They are a very good software developer and it would not take much more to turn Auto Tune 4 into more than just a pitch correction VST.

It will take a long time for software to equal ease of use of hardware based systems. The control surface needs alot of work. However, I make the compromises just for the quality of acoustic virtual instruments. As an example, I have a number of very high quality pianos and it is a great experience just to sit down and play piano (without accompaniment). It sounds so good.

I have just purchased and received Garritan's Personal Orchestra and will be installing it in the next day or so. I will let you know what I find.

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 06-22-2005).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online