SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#95960 - 06/02/05 02:09 AM G-70 vs. Tyros
Agent Offline

Loc: Stuttgart/Germany
Yesterday I tested the new G-70 for the first time. A half year ago I thought about buying it, compared it to the tyros but because I wanted a 88-keyboard decided for the CVP-307, with which I am quite satisfied.

Now to the G-70: The styles and sounds, esp. epianos and Jazz-styles are below the Tyros standard, even the drawbar sounds donīt seem better than Yamahas Organflutes. I was quite disappointed about the Roland G-70, so much hustle about nothing spectacular. The only thing new was the Grandpianosound, but I donīt find it better than the Grand on the Tyros. After that it was really a relaxing joy to play the Tyros, which is much easier to handle and has the overall better sounds and styles.

------------------
Andreas

#95961 - 06/02/05 02:27 AM Re: G-70 vs. Tyros
nielshs Offline

What OS was installed in the G-70??

#95962 - 06/02/05 03:33 AM Re: G-70 vs. Tyros
Agent Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by nielshs:
What OS was installed in the G-70??

Yes it had already the new OS, but all the sounds have way too much reverb.

------------------
Andreas

#95963 - 06/02/05 05:45 AM Re: G-70 vs. Tyros
G Angel Offline

Loc: Ooltewah, Tn.
Yeah I know what you mean. I just got me a new Fender Twin amp and right out of the box nothing was right to much bass, no reverb,etc.
I called Fender but they told me that it was up to me to set the bass and reverb the way I liked it.
They also told me this is why they make the amp with controls that can be set to the way you like them because someone else might like to play on it without ever moveing a control.
I have had the G 70 now for a week and a half and no matter how many people put it down.
IT IS THE BEST ARRANGER KEYBOARD ROLAND HAS EVER MADE.
The G70 can and will be able to do anything anyone can and will be willing to do with it.

#95964 - 06/02/05 05:55 AM Re: G-70 vs. Tyros
nielshs Offline

Don't forget the G-70 is called a workstation. After some programming you can make this keyboard sound better than any other keyboard on the market. But if you don't have the time and perhaps the skills to make some programming, I think the Tyros is a good choice.

#95965 - 06/02/05 06:36 AM Re: G-70 vs. Tyros
Ohrenarzt Offline

Obviously the Roland staff did not have the time or skill either. Why didn’t they hire you?

#95966 - 06/02/05 06:37 AM Re: G-70 vs. Tyros
Roel Offline

Just a little question Niels :

Why didn't Roland put some extra work in it to make it sound superiour 'out of the box' ?

E.g. TV's are optimized when they leave the factory..... would you be happy if you get one including a manual "How to adjust/calibrate/color-management your TV-set to get optimum results!" ?? (Sony skipped the procedure to save costs)

The statement about the 'best one Roland ever made' might be correct but tells nothing about the quality relation to other brands.

#95967 - 06/02/05 06:51 AM Re: G-70 vs. Tyros
G Angel Offline

Roland could get someone come and play the G 70 keyboard for us.
I mean after all why should we have to do that.

#95968 - 06/02/05 06:53 AM Re: G-70 vs. Tyros
nielshs Offline

Ohrenartz, Roel

Lets stop this endless discussion, and enjoy our keyboards. Its all a matter of taste witch one you like.

[This message has been edited by nielshs (edited 06-02-2005).]

#95969 - 06/02/05 07:11 AM Re: G-70 vs. Tyros
G Angel Offline

Well my guess is that some think it sounds good out of the box.
Can't please everyone can you?
Me I don't like it just right out of the box but mine is differant now from anyone else because I have started setting it up to work the way I need it to for me.
There is no limit to what this WORKSTATION can do.

#95970 - 06/02/05 07:52 AM Re: G-70 vs. Tyros
ironhill Offline

Loc: NRW, Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by Roel:

The statement about the 'best one Roland ever made' might be correct but tells nothing about the quality relation to other brands.

you are right, but there are a lot of examples people playing the Tyros you easy can find in the net. Hear and notice what bad sounding products are possible using good sounding instruments.
Regards,
Hanspeter

#95971 - 06/02/05 09:00 AM Re: G-70 vs. Tyros
Roel Offline

Niels,
You hit the nail on the head!
It's a matter of TASTE what you (dis)like.

Every board has limitations the Tyros, SD1, the G70 as well.

It is unfair to 'hit' members that do not like an instrument and tell them they are incompetent, have no skills or are not even musicians/entertainers.

Every time someone posts his view on the G70 and was not blown away, other members state the G70 is far superiour, has no limitations.... in other words :

It's not the G70, but the guy who gave his view on it, who is to blame.

This only occurs in G70 threads, as far as I know, not before

Please respect opinions and this endless discussion will stop automatically.

#95972 - 06/02/05 09:13 AM Re: G-70 vs. Tyros
MatsHawk Offline

Hi.

When I bought the Tyros the sound from it was not the very best "out of the box" imo. To get what I wanted, I had to change the compressor and EQ. Also the reverb in some styles/sounds was not at the best from start.

I have only tried the G70 in the shop for an hour, with headphones and amplification/speakers (Roland original) and it just blew me away. That was with the first OS so it is certenly even better now.

I have written before about the demo that Ralf Schink played in Malmö/Sweden, and it was some of the best I ever heard! (I know, he REALLY can play!)

The Tyros is very good and I think that the G70 is at least the same caliber.

I have tried the SD1 and I didn't like it at all. It was not so easy to handle and I didn't think it sounded THAT good either. Of course it is a good KB but it was not for me.

The Korg PA80 looks nice but is not near Tyros or G70, not in sounds, not in styles.

I think alla KB's needs a little tweaking here and there to sound as YOU want so the hole love/hate discussion about G70 and others is only noncens.

As soon my wallet allows, the G70 will be in my house for sure........

Only my personal opinion.

/Mats

[This message has been edited by MatsHawk (edited 06-02-2005).]

#95973 - 06/02/05 11:05 AM Re: G-70 vs. Tyros
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
all of the top boards are good,your choice is down to preference,the hardest decision is when someone new wants advice,and then we all chime in with.YAMAHA ,KORG,KETRON,ROLAND, GENESYS,etc, what happened to the poor old stylaphone he he, mike

#95974 - 06/02/05 01:22 PM Re: G-70 vs. Tyros
Agent Offline

Sorry folks, I didnīt want to start a principal discussion here, so please stop this topic. I only wanted to write you about my personal experience, that was all.

------------------
Andreas

#95975 - 06/02/05 02:05 PM Re: G-70 vs. Tyros
Roel Offline

Well done Agent!
Please keep writing your feelings about everything you like or do not like.... like everyone does.

Roel

#95976 - 06/03/05 04:19 AM Re: G-70 vs. Tyros
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
I'll share my personal experience with both these boards...

I tested the G-70 and Tyros (actually within a couple of hours of each other) and my conclusion was that as far as sounds and styles are concerned the G70 doesnt hold a candle in the dark next to the Tyros.

Yes I agree that some of the G70 sounds are a little bit better than VA7 but the rest of them sound the same as VA7. Why did Roland not tell the public that their G70 has only a few hundred new sounds and that the rest of the sounds are the same as G1000,Va7... When I played it I thought all 1600 sounds were brand new.... they are NOT.

When you play a keyboard out of the box with no effects added, you kind of have an idea of how good you can get it to sound.... When you add effects to the G70 it sounds a little bit better..........But a Tyros out of the box sounds just awesome already......and imagine how much better it gets when you add effects to the Tyros.... Its like taking a masterpiece sound and making it even better... With the G70 its like taking a mediocre sound and trying......and trying.....and trying.....
A G70 with effects is no match for a Tyros with effects.

I knew right away that the G70 would NEVER sound as good as the Tyros no matter how many effects I put......And dont forget that the Tyros has lots of goof effects too...

The G70 styles are defintely better than VA7 but it is no match for the Tyros styles.

Instruments that I liked more on Tyros are:
saxes, flutes, accordion, harmonica, strings,
pianos,

Instruments that I liked on both keyboards
Guitars, Choir Voices

At the end of the day, someone will give a complete opposite review in favour of the G70 and this is what is so awesome about people and keyboards

No 2 keyboard manufacturers are alike

No 2 People are alike

But we all have something in common....

We love keyboards..........especially arranger keyboards.... and thats all that matters I guess..

Peace

#95977 - 06/03/05 05:32 AM Re: G-70 vs. Tyros
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well...at this point is really confermed... http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/010789.html

Like it or not, tt's time to a change in the keyboard world ... and I believe the change is not coming from one of the big keyboards makers because they still try to sell you the embedded keyboards for big bucks as it was the state of the art.

While the truth is most new keyboars are OLD SOUPS that are warmed up with a few new sounds but still contain chips that are a decade old....

Just one DREAM example for the others... http://www.lionstracs.com/modules/Static_Docs/data/gui/ardur.png

Cheers

[This message has been edited by domenik (edited 06-03-2005).]

#95978 - 06/03/05 08:40 AM Re: G-70 vs. Tyros
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
One of these days Domenik can you post a screen capture that i can make head or tail of ??

But i do like the concept of the liontrac keyboard. We need some in Birmingham engl;and so that i can demo it.

#95979 - 06/03/05 09:11 AM Re: G-70 vs. Tyros
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by spalding:
One of these days Domenik can you post a screen capture that i can make head or tail of ??

But i do like the concept of the liontrac keyboard. We need some in Birmingham engl;and so that i can demo it.

here are some screen capture: http://www.lionstracs.com/index.php?module=Static_Docs&func=view&f=/screenshots.html

Soon will come here in Italy Bernd and we will make all new Video how is working now the Mediastation and I will post it.
then you can see how we can jump with one key to the Native Instruments B4, to the Linux sampler GIGA files, to the synthesizer, to the DSP sounds and to the opened VST instruments...without STOP the two audio/midi Players!

Now we have working the new 16 traks arranger: http://www.lionstracs.com/modules/Static_Docs/data/gui/arranger.png
and before end this month we have the new Audio/Midi arranger in realtime.
This new arranger allow you to record/import the 16 midi tracks and audio wav for each pattern + Maj, Min, 7th, 7thdim.
You can use with ONLY Audio too, take the keyboard that you like, record the 4 Intro, 4 FILL, 4 Variation, 4 Endind....then edit it with Rezound: http://www.lionstracs.com/modules/Static_Docs/data/gui/snapshot1114.png
Import all the wav in the arranger editor and the game is done!
In the Mediastation then you can Play all the original sounds styles of ANY State of the Arts keyboards!
With this system then you dont care to buy one different keyboards because you can play all the sound that you like from ANY keyboards!

If you want one sample to shown there in UK..just let me know and we find a good deal..
cheers
domenik

#95980 - 06/04/05 04:19 PM Re: G-70 vs. Tyros
Pennywizz6 Offline

Loc: Shakopee, MN, USA
Roland has their synths, Yammy has their arrangers.

Phil

#95981 - 06/04/05 04:56 PM Re: G-70 vs. Tyros
manic2257 Offline

Loc: australia
yes the lionstracs system does seem like a good idea thats time has come, but for my money i will wait until the first buyers have let them recoup their R+D costs, so that the price comes down.It is after all essentially a laptop computer with a keyboard controller, imho.

peace, out

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online