SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#95883 - 03/21/02 09:09 PM POLL-TIME , Who uses a Macintosh computer for there music?
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hi to everyone,
At present I have an iMac-G3-400-mhz-w/ 192 megs of ram and a 15gig HD (it`s green)

#95884 - 03/21/02 09:41 PM Re: POLL-TIME , Who uses a Macintosh computer for there music?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Pretty sure you'll be in the minority on this one. I changed from Mac to pc about 5 years ago, and never looked back. The only reason for me to get one would be Pro Tools. (Which ain't gonna happen !)

#95885 - 03/21/02 09:50 PM Re: POLL-TIME , Who uses a Macintosh computer for there music?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I had been using a Mac (G4) exclusively for computer music production (Logic Audio) up thru the end of 2001. I switched to PC (Cakewalk Sonar) for three reasons: for compatibility (the majority of people here are PC users), the majority of arranger keyboard supported music programs & arranger KB software utilities are ONLY available on the PC-Windows, and PC music programs have significantly improved recently to make them a viable alternative for even the most critical software demands of computer music production. Previously only Mac programs were this good. You also get MORE for your money on both the hardware & software side with a PC. I admit that I still love the Mac platform though. Afterall, I've been a die hard Mac fan for over 12 years. Jedi, your iMac will provide everthing you need to make GREAT music so don't worry if the majority of people here are PC users. My all time FAV music digital audio/midi sequencer (only available on the Mac platform ) is Digital Performer, by Mark of the Unicorn. Jedi, if you don't already have it, you definitely owe yourself to CHECK it out. I Highly RECOMMENDED it !
http://www.motu.com/english/software/dp/body.html

- Scott

#95886 - 03/21/02 10:52 PM Re: POLL-TIME , Who uses a Macintosh computer for there music?
jedi Offline

Thanks Uncle Dave + Scott
I tried the free ver. "Pro Tools Free" I couldn`t make heads or tales. I`ve been trying to down load Demo`s To see what I would like to use and would ya` know it Digital Performer doesn`t have a demo(maybe it does need one) it looks get on there web site but so far the lowest price I found was zZones.com for $495 thats a hunk of change to drop on somthing you can`t return. And I`m still trying to figure out the demos I wsa able to down load
Thanks Guys and have a great evening I`m going to bed maybe when I wake my 2000 will be perefct! I know only in my dreams
jedi

#95887 - 03/22/02 03:37 AM Re: POLL-TIME , Who uses a Macintosh computer for there music?
kaboombahchuck Offline

Loc: Arizona USA
I use an iMac 350 gig indigo with 192 megs ram 6 gig hard drive. I also use Metro 5 form cakewalk ($150) to record with.

#95888 - 03/22/02 08:31 AM Re: POLL-TIME , Who uses a Macintosh computer for there music?
jedi Offline

Hi kaboombahchuck,
I donwloaded the demo 4.5 (metro) I haven`t installed it yet , Do you find it helpful. What I`m looking for is an all around program (sequ., notea`, file conv. etc. ) does the full ver. of metro do that, O -BTW did U hear that "Steveie" up the price of the new G4 iMac`s by $100 [across the board ,iPod too] I know they need to show profit, but you can`t cure a cold by chopping of the head!!!
Scott has suggested "Digital Performer" have you ever "played around" with that Big Bucks the lowest price ,so far, is $495 at "zZones". Anyway thanks for the in-put
jedi

#95889 - 03/22/02 02:15 PM Re: POLL-TIME , Who uses a Macintosh computer for there music?
kaboombahchuck Offline

Jedi.
I have not tryed digital performer, the price was too steep for me. I tryed cubase for a while, but did not have much luck with it. The learning curve was so steep, by the time I got it to work I was so mad that I could not record anything.
Metro 5 is fairly simple, but then again I've messed with it so much I'm use to it. Remembering back, seemed I had a pretty tough time with it also (don't like reading manuals).
Basicaly metro 5 has 64 track audio recording tracks. With 192 megs of ram I can go about 10 tracks of 4 min. recordings. It uses vst plugins for effects. I don't use the effects much as I try to get the best recoded sound to start off with. As an audio recorder I am extreemly satisfied.
It will do up to 99 tracks midi with up to 32 sections per song file. I'm not real familiar with this portion of the program as my midi interface really bites. Anyway it will turn midi tracks into notation.
I have had no problems with file conversions, yet.
Yes, I heard about the price hike. They stated that the prices of flatscreens and memory has skyrocketed. It don't matter much to me, I prefer macs.
Anyway........ a good place for mac users to find info about recording and such is www.macmusic.org
You might scan the posts there and find some answers you're looking for.

#95890 - 03/22/02 02:41 PM Re: POLL-TIME , Who uses a Macintosh computer for there music?
jedi Offline

Hi kaboombahchuck,
I think I`ll try installing the download of Metro 4.5, it only runs for about 25 min. then I guess it just stop`s ( I`m not happy about installing stuff that I`m not actuly going to keep, as you know the Mac "sprays files" all over the place and I hate that) It`s good to know another Mac user BTW are you going to be getting a new iMac? I think I might if mine crashes (again) so far I`ve had to replace the CD-DVD drive and the HD failed last summer so one more time and it "flat panel time" . Anyway thanks for the tip for macmusic.org I`ll check it out
take care!,
jedi

#95891 - 03/22/02 06:48 PM Re: POLL-TIME , Who uses a Macintosh computer for there music?
deatonent Offline

Loc: Tazewell, VA, USA
NO Mac for me. I'm Windows PC all the way. My son owns and operates a recording studio in Greensboro, NC built around Pro Tools TDM running on a Mac. He is very much in favor of Pro Tools but does not care for the Mac. For all his other computer uses he bought an AMD based PC.
Deaton

#95892 - 03/22/02 08:33 PM Re: POLL-TIME , Who uses a Macintosh computer for there music?
jedi Offline

Hi Deaton,
I downloaded and installed "pro tools free" the demo version, and maybe it`s me but I couldn`t make "heads-or-tails" of it. I didn`t spend a whole lot of time using it but the tome I spent on it I was not Impressed, But I`ll try again see what happens. I know where your comming from,if you want software or other "stuff" theres "tons-of-stuff" for PC`s Not a heck of alot for Mac`s O well at least there easy to operate (when there not crashing, hahahaha) Take care
jedi

#95893 - 03/23/02 03:41 AM Re: POLL-TIME , Who uses a Macintosh computer for there music?
kaboombahchuck Offline

Jedi,
Although I like the look and the great space saving design of the new iMac, my next one will be a full blown power mac. Here are some reasons why.....
The new iMac has no sound in, kinda not good for me. Although a moto 828 would help, its just another thing to get.
With a power mac I will be able to cange cards and interfaces (midi) as I see fit. Ya just can't do that with an iMac.
I originally bought the iMac because I could afford it at the time.

#95894 - 03/23/02 03:27 PM Re: POLL-TIME , Who uses a Macintosh computer for there music?
jedi Offline

Hi kaboombachuck,
Great piont about the expandability of the standard G4`s but for me sound is noy all that important. What I realy like is the idea that I can have a "flat panel iMac on my desk and with my KB next to my desk it would make it very convenient to have a swivle monitor that is also height adjustable O - BTW I try the Metro4.5 and installed it on my mac and I had all kinds of conflicts , when I did a disk check it failed so I had to "dig deep" and remove all the files then I rebuilt the desk top and compiled the system then it was back to normal As if you can`t hardly find software (that actuly works) the conflicts are a pain, Thanks for the in-put
jedi

#95895 - 03/23/02 05:36 PM Re: POLL-TIME , Who uses a Macintosh computer for there music?
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by jedi:
I had all kinds of conflicts , when I did a disk check it failed so I had to "dig deep" and remove all the files then I rebuilt the desk top and compiled the system then it was back to normal As if you can`t hardly find software (that actuly works) the conflicts are a pain.jedi

Now I know WHY I switched from Mac to PC. Believe it or not, Windows XP has'nt crashed or frozen on me ONCE. This includes running high intensity digital audio & midi programs like Cakewalk Sonar and SoundForge. - Scott

#95896 - 03/23/02 06:22 PM Re: POLL-TIME , Who uses a Macintosh computer for there music?
jedi Offline

Hi Scott,
This is of the subject, but can you please help me? I`m having a heck of a time trying to save panel settings on my 2000. I know it`s been talk "to death" just about,
but very time I turn it on I have to press "J"
and even then sometimes nothing is saved. Is there any way to set it up so that you can just press a "registration memory" button and have the settings you want? Thanks for all your you have been great O-BTW on my Mac, I`m running 9.1 haven`t got into "OS-X" yet there`s nothing useful out there for that #2 BTW -MOTU just came out with some new software for the mac it`s something to do with "smart midi" I first saw it at :www.zzones.com when I took another look at "digital performer" Take care + thanks
jedi

#95897 - 03/23/02 07:19 PM Re: POLL-TIME , Who uses a Macintosh computer for there music?
kaboombahchuck Offline

My iMac has never crashed......maybe you guys are not holding your mouth just right.

#95898 - 03/23/02 07:55 PM Re: POLL-TIME , Who uses a Macintosh computer for there music?
djboomstick Offline

Loc: newyork
i crash the imac at work about once a week and thats just opening and replying to emails and righting up memos (thank god for the spell checker). my pc at home is where i sent this from and also were i work on the music doesnt really ever crash unless im really abusing it. the i mac kind of crashes out of nowhere. i dont use the pc alot for audio recording i guess the platform that supports the softwear and outboard hardware that you like is the one thats best. i'll never get a mac but thats just me

#95899 - 03/23/02 08:12 PM Re: POLL-TIME , Who uses a Macintosh computer for there music?
Scottyee Offline

Hi Jedi,
You're right. Unfortunately, when the PSR2000 is initially powered on, you must first load a SAVED 'Registration Memory Bank' BEFORE you can play or hear anything on the PSR2000. I too found this very weird when I first got the 2000. This means (like you said) pressing the J button to enter the registration bank window and then choosing/loading a reg bank. You then need to select a registration memory button: 1-8.

I suggest that you create a default Registration Bank of your FAVORITE 8 styles/sound setups. This will allow you go more quickly/easily call up your favorite settings when you first start up the keyboard.

I haven't heard about 'smart midi'.

Btw, in addition to Metro, you might want to checkout Steinberg's midi/digital audio software offerings (Cubasis to Cubase VST) http://www.steinberg.net/ ,
as well as Emagic's 'Logic Audio' (version from silver to gold) as well http://www.emagic.de ,
They both offer a wide range of midi/digital audio sequencer software (with varying degrees of features) to meet your budget and music production demands. Along with Digital Performer, these are terrific Mac digital audio/midi software sequencers (from budget priced to high end) on the Mac platform.

Good luck. - Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 03-23-2002).]

#95900 - 03/23/02 09:38 PM Re: POLL-TIME , Who uses a Macintosh computer for there music?
jedi Offline

Hi Scott,
Thank you very much for your help, I thought that maybe I was going "nut`s"- but-just the KB. U know that realy makes me I have own a PSS480,PSR-X4500,PSR510 and they all had there quirk`s but nothing like the 2000. It`s such a GREAT - KB if only it was as smart as it looks . I mean the sounds the features and all (execpt the toy key`s) O-BTW the software that I was talking about isn`t called "smart midi" I just used that, because it states the you don`t have to do any midi set-up`s it`s like the software is supposed to recognize the KB and the midi settings for you (I think) I have to check out MOTU web-site for more info but from what I read at zZones it didn`t seem to bad, I think the price was aroud $160 Anyway thanks agaian for getting back to me , I guess now I have to chose between the "bugs of the 2000 or find somthing else, George has a few Roland VA7 any thoughts Thanks and take care
jedi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online