SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#95893 - 03/23/02 03:41 AM Re: POLL-TIME , Who uses a Macintosh computer for there music?
kaboombahchuck Offline

Loc: Arizona USA
Jedi,
Although I like the look and the great space saving design of the new iMac, my next one will be a full blown power mac. Here are some reasons why.....
The new iMac has no sound in, kinda not good for me. Although a moto 828 would help, its just another thing to get.
With a power mac I will be able to cange cards and interfaces (midi) as I see fit. Ya just can't do that with an iMac.
I originally bought the iMac because I could afford it at the time.

#95894 - 03/23/02 03:27 PM Re: POLL-TIME , Who uses a Macintosh computer for there music?
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hi kaboombachuck,
Great piont about the expandability of the standard G4`s but for me sound is noy all that important. What I realy like is the idea that I can have a "flat panel iMac on my desk and with my KB next to my desk it would make it very convenient to have a swivle monitor that is also height adjustable O - BTW I try the Metro4.5 and installed it on my mac and I had all kinds of conflicts , when I did a disk check it failed so I had to "dig deep" and remove all the files then I rebuilt the desk top and compiled the system then it was back to normal As if you can`t hardly find software (that actuly works) the conflicts are a pain, Thanks for the in-put
jedi

#95895 - 03/23/02 05:36 PM Re: POLL-TIME , Who uses a Macintosh computer for there music?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by jedi:
I had all kinds of conflicts , when I did a disk check it failed so I had to "dig deep" and remove all the files then I rebuilt the desk top and compiled the system then it was back to normal As if you can`t hardly find software (that actuly works) the conflicts are a pain.jedi

Now I know WHY I switched from Mac to PC. Believe it or not, Windows XP has'nt crashed or frozen on me ONCE. This includes running high intensity digital audio & midi programs like Cakewalk Sonar and SoundForge. - Scott

#95896 - 03/23/02 06:22 PM Re: POLL-TIME , Who uses a Macintosh computer for there music?
jedi Offline

Hi Scott,
This is of the subject, but can you please help me? I`m having a heck of a time trying to save panel settings on my 2000. I know it`s been talk "to death" just about,
but very time I turn it on I have to press "J"
and even then sometimes nothing is saved. Is there any way to set it up so that you can just press a "registration memory" button and have the settings you want? Thanks for all your you have been great O-BTW on my Mac, I`m running 9.1 haven`t got into "OS-X" yet there`s nothing useful out there for that #2 BTW -MOTU just came out with some new software for the mac it`s something to do with "smart midi" I first saw it at :www.zzones.com when I took another look at "digital performer" Take care + thanks
jedi

#95897 - 03/23/02 07:19 PM Re: POLL-TIME , Who uses a Macintosh computer for there music?
kaboombahchuck Offline

Loc: Arizona USA
My iMac has never crashed......maybe you guys are not holding your mouth just right.

#95898 - 03/23/02 07:55 PM Re: POLL-TIME , Who uses a Macintosh computer for there music?
djboomstick Offline

Loc: newyork
i crash the imac at work about once a week and thats just opening and replying to emails and righting up memos (thank god for the spell checker). my pc at home is where i sent this from and also were i work on the music doesnt really ever crash unless im really abusing it. the i mac kind of crashes out of nowhere. i dont use the pc alot for audio recording i guess the platform that supports the softwear and outboard hardware that you like is the one thats best. i'll never get a mac but thats just me

#95899 - 03/23/02 08:12 PM Re: POLL-TIME , Who uses a Macintosh computer for there music?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Jedi,
You're right. Unfortunately, when the PSR2000 is initially powered on, you must first load a SAVED 'Registration Memory Bank' BEFORE you can play or hear anything on the PSR2000. I too found this very weird when I first got the 2000. This means (like you said) pressing the J button to enter the registration bank window and then choosing/loading a reg bank. You then need to select a registration memory button: 1-8.

I suggest that you create a default Registration Bank of your FAVORITE 8 styles/sound setups. This will allow you go more quickly/easily call up your favorite settings when you first start up the keyboard.

I haven't heard about 'smart midi'.

Btw, in addition to Metro, you might want to checkout Steinberg's midi/digital audio software offerings (Cubasis to Cubase VST) http://www.steinberg.net/ ,
as well as Emagic's 'Logic Audio' (version from silver to gold) as well http://www.emagic.de ,
They both offer a wide range of midi/digital audio sequencer software (with varying degrees of features) to meet your budget and music production demands. Along with Digital Performer, these are terrific Mac digital audio/midi software sequencers (from budget priced to high end) on the Mac platform.

Good luck. - Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 03-23-2002).]

#95900 - 03/23/02 09:38 PM Re: POLL-TIME , Who uses a Macintosh computer for there music?
jedi Offline

Hi Scott,
Thank you very much for your help, I thought that maybe I was going "nut`s"- but-just the KB. U know that realy makes me I have own a PSS480,PSR-X4500,PSR510 and they all had there quirk`s but nothing like the 2000. It`s such a GREAT - KB if only it was as smart as it looks . I mean the sounds the features and all (execpt the toy key`s) O-BTW the software that I was talking about isn`t called "smart midi" I just used that, because it states the you don`t have to do any midi set-up`s it`s like the software is supposed to recognize the KB and the midi settings for you (I think) I have to check out MOTU web-site for more info but from what I read at zZones it didn`t seem to bad, I think the price was aroud $160 Anyway thanks agaian for getting back to me , I guess now I have to chose between the "bugs of the 2000 or find somthing else, George has a few Roland VA7 any thoughts Thanks and take care
jedi

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online