SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#95848 - 12/06/00 08:20 PM Korg PA80 website
Tony Johnson Offline

Loc: Acworth, GA, USA
Korg has updated the PA80 website at
http://www.korgpa80.com/

There are several manuals and a brochure to download with some good info on the unit. The MP3 link doesn't contain any files yet but I'm hoping they will have better songs than the ones previously on this site.

I am curious why Korg designed the unit with a 2GB hard drive limit when other keyboards exceed this size. I assume cost was a factor, but this seems limited considering the fast development cycle of hard drive technology.

Anyway, I'm sure that I am not the only one waiting to play this keyboard...Uncle Dave!

Regards,

Tony Johnson

#95849 - 12/06/00 08:29 PM Re: Korg PA80 website
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I play ALL of them Tony. I can't stand not having the newest board on the block. I need to know which one can do the most for me. So far they are all a close race for second place - no one has built what I want yet..... I'm hoping..........................

#95850 - 12/06/00 08:50 PM Re: Korg PA80 website
Tony Johnson Offline

Loc: Acworth, GA, USA
I wish I could afford more than one high-end board, but alas, I can't. I am a hobbyist, not a professional.

I was going to get the PSR-9000, but when the PA80 was announced, I decided to hold off. I really like the Triton engine so I'm hoping the PA80 sounds the same. The brochure states that it's BASED on the Triton engine. That can be interpreted as "similar to, but not the same"...we shall see...

#95851 - 12/06/00 08:58 PM Re: Korg PA80 website
Paul Ip Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas, U.S.A.
Tony,

The 2 GB limit maybe is due to DOS (yes, our old PCs operating system) compatibility. Korg keyboards has always been compatible to DOS (for diskette loading, computer operation assistance etc). The largest disk partition that DOS can see is 2 GB only due to FAT16 limitation.

By the way, Yamaha PSR9000 can recognize up to 8 GB of hard disk space and can only partition up to 2 GB for each disk partition.
I guess this is no coincidence here.

Paul Ip
from Texas

#95852 - 12/07/00 12:19 PM Re: Korg PA80 website
Shakil Offline

I downloaded the Maunal from PA80 site.... and as usual, the Manual is useless... there is no info and mention of how to create user styles, user programs (sounds)... etc. no mention of how to do editing in sequencer...... I am wondering if it's even doable on PA80...
The sounds list is the same as my TRITON... but there is nothing in the manual that says how to edit sounds, and even if you can edit at all. So the engine is not TRITON, I think... just the samples from TRITON. so we will see what happens to this board.
I can't wait to actually see it and play with it to find out what it really offers.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online