SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#95597 - 02/12/04 01:26 PM OT - Payment from Selling Equipment
The Accordionist Offline

Sorry for the off-topic thread but I am goign to be selling my XD3 and reedless accordion (looking to move to an ES8 or Tyros now that I have an acoustic accordion again) and have found somebody that may want to buy it.

My question is how do you guys go about exchanging equipment for payment? I really don't know this gentleman at all and am a little nervous since the dollar amount is not trivial.

Do you use PayPal, Money Order, Check (and wait two weeks?) or what? Also, in thinking about his end I would hate to pay the money and then wait three days for the gear to arrive and then not be satisfied.

I know a lot of you buy/sell/trade equipment often and will probably have the answer.

Thank you.

Tommy

#95598 - 02/12/04 01:44 PM Re: OT - Payment from Selling Equipment
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I communicate with the buyer alot before the transaction to "feel them out", and I also require payment before shipping. Most buyers expect that. You can require POST Office money orders - that's safe. Maybe an escrow accnt will make you and the buyer feel better? I never used one, but they are popular.

#95599 - 02/12/04 01:53 PM Re: OT - Payment from Selling Equipment
Mainer Offline

Loc: Saco, Me
I echo Uncle Dave's advice.

I have sold a few items on Ebay and Used Pay Pal - you had better be sure that Names and address are right. I will reinforce what Dave said a lot of conversation backed up with a address that matches the phone number.

How much for the the module?

Jerry

#95600 - 02/12/04 02:02 PM Re: OT - Payment from Selling Equipment
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I agree that communicating with the buyer is important. I have usually used UPS COD; I don't mind waiting a week or so to get my money and the buyer pays when the package arrives (cashier's check or money orders only). I've also used PayPal and been very satisfied. The buyer does pay first, and if you trust PP you can send the package as soon as you get a receipt from them - the money will show up in your bank account in about two days. There has to be some trust in your ultimate decision, otherwise you will never complete the sale.
As far as the buyer being satisfied - good, honest communication should alleviate most questions and doubts before you exchange money and product.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 02-12-2004).]

#95601 - 02/12/04 02:10 PM Re: OT - Payment from Selling Equipment
trtjazz Offline

I've sold several pieces (expensive) on E bay. My rules were easy... send a cashiers check or money order. Then I'll ship it the next day. Period.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#95602 - 02/12/04 02:10 PM Re: OT - Payment from Selling Equipment
The Accordionist Offline

Thanks all for the advice. I guess I'll try PayPal and see what happens.

I've exchanged several emails with the buyer and I trust him. I'll need to get an address and phone number and do a little bit of verification.

The XD3 is essentially going for $1000 (with the hard case). It's less than a year old and in fine shape. I'm selling it as a package with my reedless accordion, however.

Thanks again for the help.

Tommy

#95603 - 02/12/04 07:02 PM Re: OT - Payment from Selling Equipment
vclocke Offline

Loc: riverside, ca, usa
Accordionist,

Just another opinion re: ebay - I have had 30 - 40 sales (various items, including keyboards, synth modules, photo equipment and very expensive Beanie Babies [up to $1200]) and have not yet had problems with eBay. I also use PayPal and have been satisfied with their system. I would recommend though that you only ship to confirmed (confirmed by PayPal) addresses and "verified" users. That way you will be "protected" by PayPal.

Also, I have an accordion I would like to sell and thought you might have some idea where might be the best "forum" to sell it. I have not tried eBay only because I thought there might be an accordion specific forum somewhere that would be better. It is an "A Geurrini & Sons", 19" keyboard / 120 bass with 7 treble switches and 3 bass switches - in great shape. Obviously, accordions don't sell as well as Arranger Keyboards.

thanks,

vc

------------------
Vern

#95604 - 02/12/04 07:09 PM Re: OT - Payment from Selling Equipment
vclocke Offline

trtjazz -

Terry, this does not relate to this thread but back on another thread I had asked you a question - and you probably never saw it.

You had recommended Tony W to maybe use a "desser" effect on the song he was working on and I had not heard that term before. Can you please tell me what that means?

Thanks,

vc

------------------
Vern

#95605 - 02/12/04 09:14 PM Re: OT - Payment from Selling Equipment
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
It literally take s the "esssss" sound out of the track. It's a de-esser. An EQ of sorts in the exact range that causes siblance to sssssssss........ I needed to use one on my "Berkely Square" track, and didn't !

#95606 - 02/12/04 10:08 PM Re: OT - Payment from Selling Equipment
vclocke Offline

Thanks UD,

it's rather obvious (de-esser) with that spelling. appreciate your help.

vc

------------------
Vern

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online