SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#95581 - 01/31/02 09:19 PM Re: Even more upsetting that the 2000 Styles issue
Beakybird Offline

I also have a very sour feeling toward Yamaha. I own two PSR2000s and a handmade Yamaha acoustic.

These two issues plus the fact that they often don't respond to emails makes me hope very much that in the next couple of years one of the other brands comes out with an alternative to the PSR2000's successor.

You know I have informed Yamaha twice, once by email and once over the phone, that two of the service centers they have listed in Illinois at their website don't service Yamaha keyboards. One has been out of business for two years and the other charges $80 an hour and will deduct the $25 per hour that they get from Yamaha. So you would have to pay $65 per hour for a warrantied repair. Fat chance! Yamaha has never removed these places from their website.

They just don't seem to care about their customers.

It's like Yamaha gave birth to my PSR2000 and I'm raising her. I feel like the marriage is over. Lack of service and corporate greed is like a deadbeat mom.

Larry

#95582 - 01/31/02 09:31 PM Re: Even more upsetting that the 2000 Styles issue
Anonymous
Unregistered

Excellent Point Larry. I forgot I went thru the same thing a couple of years ago. The web site directed me to several "Authorized Service Centers" that were either Kaput, no longer represented Yamaha or were half way across the state.

#95583 - 01/31/02 09:43 PM Re: Even more upsetting that the 2000 Styles issue
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Another of my gripes ( might as well get 'em all out now while I'm feeling this way...lol ). I sent my PSR740 to an "authorized" repair center less than 2 years after purchasing new to repair the pitch wheel. It was gone for 11 weeks !! Good thing I didn't need it to make a living..The explanation: The potentiometer had gone bad and the service center was waiting for the part which had been backordered by Yamaha Japan for weeks. I finally got the tech to tell me the value of the Pot.. I don't remember what the value was anymore, but at the time I checked and found that it is a common potentiometer that can be had at your local Radio Shack for a buck or two. ( Don't even think of suggesting a non "Yamaha" part to a service tech though ). I have a fairly good working knowledge of electronics, and precision soldering tools, so had I realized this was the case before I sent it out and that I'd have to wait so long, I would have repaired it myself and saved a hundred twenty bucks in the process, not to mention I'm certain that I could have done the whole job in an hour or less. The tech also told me that this was a common problem, well known to Yamaha. In fact he said that at that time he had 3 other 740's at his place with the exact same problem as mine, also waiting for potentiometers that were backordered. Of course, no relief from yamaha. It was a known problem but the board was past Warranty.

Still after all of that, I bought another Yamaha ( The PSR2000 ). Now I gotta send my 2000 to a repair center for an OS upgrade ??
I don't think so.... Maybe it is ME who is to blame for buying another Yamaha in the first place.

"Korg" AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 01-31-2002).]

#95584 - 02/01/02 02:26 AM Re: Even more upsetting that the 2000 Styles issue
Rodrigues Offline

Loc: Portugal
Hi

At the Yamaha site of USA, until yesterday, there was the
information that PSR 2000 OS was Flash ROM upgradeable.
Today that information it's not there anymore.
http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi.exe/DsplyModel/?gPPK00005PSR2000

I guess it is the confirmation that indeed the OS is only on EPROM.

Carlos Rodrigues

#95585 - 02/01/02 07:33 AM Re: Even more upsetting that the 2000 Styles issue
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I received a phone call yesterday from Yamaha service rep, in response to an email I send questioning the Flash Rom/Eprom situation. The rep did indeed affirm that the os is not upgradeable in flash rom. He apologized, but referred to the disclaimer about "all specs subject to change".
He also said that he had heard nothing yet from Japan about the harmonizer bug, but that my "case" was still pending.
It's been "pending" for two months now.
DonM

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online