SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#95442 - 02/05/07 10:41 AM Full time music
zuki Offline

Curious:

How difficult is it to make a modest living - say $40 - $50K + playing full time? Suppose I have the talent to do any and all jobs....playing and singing (solo).

How long would it take to be bringing in $500 - $800 a week if I pursued my own bookings, etc?

Market is Cincinnati and surrounding.

Thanks for any thoughts.

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#95443 - 02/05/07 11:08 AM Re: Full time music
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Hi, Zuki...I've been doing that dollar volume for years, although that is not my main source of income. I'm just 80 miles south in Lexington, Lentucky.

Around here, it's not talent, but connections (thankfully) that secure the high dollar jobs. For most of my repeats, I have additional business connections via industry, the University or the horse business.

For me, it works both ways...I convert music clients to graphics/film clients and do it the other way around, too.

The difference between a $150 restaurant job and a $350 and up corporate or non-profit job is usually who you know.

I use a high end restaurant job to get the first contact. I work this one during the summer to book my better paying winter jobs. I actually make less money in the summer, due to the patio restaurant job.

Possible...YES! How long? Don't know!

Come down sometime. I used to play at the Blue Whisp....only a little more than hour from here.

Be Great to visit!~

Russ

#95444 - 02/05/07 03:04 PM Re: Full time music
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Zuki,

The length of time it takes is strictly up to you. Keep in mind you must pursue the markets agressively, set your payscale accordingly, and treat this as you would treat any other type of business venture. It's a fun way to make a living, but it does require a lot of work as well.

If there is anything I can do to help you in this venture, email me your phone number and I'll be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#95445 - 02/05/07 04:14 PM Re: Full time music
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I guess you need to eyeball the competition carefully. If you feel that your act is as good or better than other top pros in your area, you stand a chance..... If not, perhaps a little more practice.....?

The next thing to take a look at is your repertoire. Are you already playing well the type of music that other top solos in your area are playing? If your taste in music is different from most others in the area, you may haver a hard time. Try pushing a jazz playlist in a country and western town.....

Remember, as a pro, your job is to play the music they want to hear, not what you want to play (unless they coincide!).

#95446 - 02/05/07 07:21 PM Re: Full time music
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Hey Zuki-

Cincy is part of the area I cover. I've been doing this full time for 11+ years. I've been way over 300 gigs for I think, 8-9 years...I've been over 400 gigs the last two years and seem headed for that number again this year.

I do better than the range you asked about, but I bust my butt.

What type places do you want to work?

I'm supposed to play in Hyde Park tomorrow afternoon, I'll be in Fairfield, OH on Friday night...are you far from that? Maybe we could hook up?

If I can help, I'd be happy to...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 02-05-2007).]

#95447 - 02/05/07 07:26 PM Re: Full time music
montana Offline

Loc: red lodge,mt,usa
It also depends on the area you plan to work in you can't live in a rural area and plan to make that kind of money there are not enough gigs.

#95448 - 02/06/07 01:01 AM Re: Full time music
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
Hey Zuki-

What type places do you want to work?

I'm supposed to play in Hyde Park tomorrow afternoon, I'll be in Fairfield, OH on Friday night...are you far from that? Maybe we could hook up?

If I can help, I'd be happy to...

Hello Bill,

Gearing to play the solo arranger jobs - I have 5 assistant living jobs booked (by phone only) in the next 3 months. I need to fill my schedule as much as possible.

Sure, maybe I can get to Hyde Park on Thursday to say hi. My in-laws are coming to town Fri, so that's out.

I'll email my phone to you.

---------------------------------

Thanks for all the replies.

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#95449 - 02/06/07 05:55 AM Re: Full time music
travlin'easy Offline

Zuki and others,

Here's a link that will allow you to find the vast majority of assisted living centers, retirement communitites, etc in your state.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

#95450 - 02/06/07 04:46 PM Re: Full time music
zuki Offline

Thanks Gary - Already booked a job off the site today

Regards,
zuki

#95451 - 02/10/07 05:19 AM Re: Full time music
zuki Offline

The bookings are going fine - have booked 10 jobs by phone without having a promo, references or a demo. (Working on these right now).

Now the fun begins and the 3000 is sounding mighty nice. What a great board - wow

zuki

#95452 - 02/10/07 05:39 AM Re: Full time music
travlin'easy Offline

Now, imagine how the phone would be ringing if you were to put 100 great promo packages together, do some direct mail advertising, and follow this up with phone calls and personal visits to the places you wish to perform. This could be awesome dude!

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

#95453 - 02/10/07 07:44 AM Re: Full time music
Bill in Dayton Offline

Zuki-

I heard recently that the PSR 3000 will NOT work if you get too close to Dayton.

Hmmm, imagine that?

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#95454 - 02/10/07 10:00 AM Re: Full time music
Dnj Offline

Zuki getting the jobs is easy....after you play there once & gettingthe repeat business year after years is the hard part...the proof is in the pudding

#95455 - 02/10/07 10:20 AM Re: Full time music
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Zuki getting the jobs is easy....after you play there once & gettingthe repeat business year after years is the hard part...the proof is in the pudding

Yes, the proof is in the performance. I'm pleased with my unspectacular presentation for glorious presentation and should do very well.

zuki

#95456 - 02/10/07 01:43 PM Re: Full time music
travlin'easy Offline

Zuki,

Keep everything upbeat, play what the audiences want to hear and you'll have all the work you can handle. This is particularly true when performing in nursing homes, assisted living centers, retirement communities and similar venues. Most of the people there are just one short step from the cemetary--they need some fun and excitement in what remains of their lives, and if you provide it you'll be returning. Play some gloom and doom ballads, or slow songs that you may enjoy playing at home and the phone will not ring again.

Good Luck,

Gary

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

#95457 - 02/10/07 02:06 PM Re: Full time music
zuki Offline

Gary,

Thanks for that big tip I only have 50 or so songs in registration - a far cry from your 1000's. In time, I'll build my repetoir. I can read, so the fake books will help - but I'll try to refrain from that.

I sang for the first time today in a long time and my pipes were rusty. It got better a couple hours later, but it'll take some time to get the voice where it once was.

Hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained. It'll be fun to get the adrenalin flowing again.

If I'm a flop, I won't have to worry about my 3000 not working in the Dayton market

zuki

#95458 - 02/10/07 09:55 PM Re: Full time music
Bill in Dayton Offline

I want to respectfully disagree with Gary's suggestion to avoid ballads or slow songs...

I play a couple of these in every hour long NH show. I've done it since I started...and its never been mentioned to me by an activity director, and it certainly hasn't hurt my business.

Today, I had an afternoon gig at a local nursing home and I know I played both Always On My Mind by Willie Nelson and I left my heart in SF (which was a request)

Both were very well recieved, people got up and danced to both numbers, and the whole show was just fine...

IF you do ballads, YES, be careful how you plug them in, DO NOT play them back to back if at all possible...Just use your head...

Maybe my crowds are easier to please than Gary's are, I don't know...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#95459 - 02/11/07 01:01 AM Re: Full time music
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Don't do ANYTHING by rote...... Try a little bit of everything, and see what this particular audience responds to. Night by night, day by day, things vary. Try to tune into what THEY want, rather than what you have played for them before......

#95460 - 02/11/07 06:51 AM Re: Full time music
travlin'easy Offline

Bill,

As you know, nothing is etched in stone, especially when it comes to audiences--they're all a bit different. The type of songs I was referring to, however, were what I refer to as Glood & Doom, songs that remind folks that they are soon going to die. I get requests from a small number of individuals for songs such as Nearer Thy God To Thee, etc.. and I just will not play them. Now, I do play Crazy, Unforgetable, and others that folks know and frequently get up from their wheel chairs and walkers to dance to. However, they interspersed with a host of upbeat songs they also know, but can no longer dance to because of physical limitations. I really don't expect anyone to dance to Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy, but they sure enjoy the song, tap their feet and clap their hands. I guess I should have clarified my earlier statement bit more.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

#95461 - 02/11/07 07:55 AM Re: Full time music
Bill in Dayton Offline

Thanks for the clarification...sounds like we're likely both doing about the same stuff...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#95462 - 02/17/07 07:54 AM Re: Full time music
Beakybird Offline

I do about 500 shows per year, mostly for the nursing and retirement homes. Here in Illinois, there are a lot of senior centers and park districts that pay more. Here is what I get for an hour show:

Nursing Homes: $100-$175
Retirement Homes: $125-$200+
Private senior clubs: $150-$250
Park Districts: $175-$300
Public Libraries: $200-$300

I have only done two library shows so far. I need to get a website up to get more private parties.

I think a direct mailing would be important.

You got to increase your repertoire dramatically. And singing is very important. I hope you have a good voice.

Don't stick to just one venue. I do the Chicago area, which is gigantic, and with the competition, there are not enough nursing and retirement homes alone for me to make a decent living. The couple of park district and senior center shows I get per month, make a big difference for me.

I have a friend who is a singer who plays with backup tracks. We play at the same venues. He has taught me the importance of having a great website and also of making a lot of phone calls. Also, if you charge a lot, folks will assume that you are worth it. It doesn't hurt to put out a high price, and then negotiate.

Wear nice clothes. I wear a tie to every gig. I keep my hair short.

Over the years, I have learned hundreds of one liners, quotes, and little stories that make the audience laugh and feel like they know you a little. Of course I don't tell these when there is a dance. It's mostly about the music, but a little bit of connecting to the audience has been enormously helpful for me.

Go around after the show, to thank people personally. That can make a difference.

These activity directors do not answer voice mail, generally speaking. You got to get them in person, which takes persistence. If they say, call in a few months, you got to put a note on your calendar.

Good luck.

Beakybird

[This message has been edited by Beakybird (edited 02-17-2007).]

#95463 - 02/17/07 10:15 AM Re: Full time music
travlin'easy Offline

Good post Larry--lots of solid information. You must have read my mind!

Thanks,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

#95464 - 02/17/07 01:47 PM Re: Full time music
zuki Offline

Thanks Beaky for the uplifting post. I did my first job very successfully and was invited back (several bookings). I have 20 new/different venues to play so far, so it is going well. I'm busy enough, part time to get my feet wet and the days ahead should be interesting.

Song repetoir is growing and I've just taken a break form working on new tunes (constantly).

Yes, I sing and play well enough IMO . I believe I have the tools to succeed and will keep all posted, if interested.

Regards,
zuki

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online