SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#95462 - 02/17/07 07:54 AM Re: Full time music
Beakybird Offline

I do about 500 shows per year, mostly for the nursing and retirement homes. Here in Illinois, there are a lot of senior centers and park districts that pay more. Here is what I get for an hour show:

Nursing Homes: $100-$175
Retirement Homes: $125-$200+
Private senior clubs: $150-$250
Park Districts: $175-$300
Public Libraries: $200-$300

I have only done two library shows so far. I need to get a website up to get more private parties.

I think a direct mailing would be important.

You got to increase your repertoire dramatically. And singing is very important. I hope you have a good voice.

Don't stick to just one venue. I do the Chicago area, which is gigantic, and with the competition, there are not enough nursing and retirement homes alone for me to make a decent living. The couple of park district and senior center shows I get per month, make a big difference for me.

I have a friend who is a singer who plays with backup tracks. We play at the same venues. He has taught me the importance of having a great website and also of making a lot of phone calls. Also, if you charge a lot, folks will assume that you are worth it. It doesn't hurt to put out a high price, and then negotiate.

Wear nice clothes. I wear a tie to every gig. I keep my hair short.

Over the years, I have learned hundreds of one liners, quotes, and little stories that make the audience laugh and feel like they know you a little. Of course I don't tell these when there is a dance. It's mostly about the music, but a little bit of connecting to the audience has been enormously helpful for me.

Go around after the show, to thank people personally. That can make a difference.

These activity directors do not answer voice mail, generally speaking. You got to get them in person, which takes persistence. If they say, call in a few months, you got to put a note on your calendar.

Good luck.

Beakybird

[This message has been edited by Beakybird (edited 02-17-2007).]

#95463 - 02/17/07 10:15 AM Re: Full time music
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Good post Larry--lots of solid information. You must have read my mind!

Thanks,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#95464 - 02/17/07 01:47 PM Re: Full time music
zuki Offline

Thanks Beaky for the uplifting post. I did my first job very successfully and was invited back (several bookings). I have 20 new/different venues to play so far, so it is going well. I'm busy enough, part time to get my feet wet and the days ahead should be interesting.

Song repetoir is growing and I've just taken a break form working on new tunes (constantly).

Yes, I sing and play well enough IMO . I believe I have the tools to succeed and will keep all posted, if interested.

Regards,
zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online