SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#94868 - 11/17/02 09:04 AM Is the 9000 Pro still the "flagship"?
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
A new topic to chew on: most of the talk regarding Yamaha these days is about the Tyros, but as far as I can tell the 9000 Pro is still the top of the line Yamaha arranger, based on the following:

1. It's the highest priced portable Yamaha arranger.
2. It has not been discontinued despite the introduction of the Tyros.
3. It has more actual pro performance features than the Tyros (sampler, expansion board compatibility, 76 note keyboard, more outputs).

Yet Yamaha has not given it's support for the 9000 Pro as it has for the Tyros in areas such as:

1. OPT panels/voice editors - none exist for the 9000 Pro to date, yet the Tyros ships with them... obviously Yamaha's R&D is behind the Tyros and not the 9000 Pro.
2. Promotion - the Tyros has quite a lot of publicity behind it and even free goodies like screen savers etc. that the 9000 Pro does not.

So I expected Yamaha to discontinue the 9000 Pro by now (maybe we're on the brink of that happening). But Yamaha has stuck to it's position that the Tyros is not the successor to the 9000 Pro and obviously the 9000 Pro is still on the market. So is the 9000 Pro still the "flagship arranger" of the Yamaha line? I ask this because we know that some people who work for Yamaha read this forum, and for 9000 Pro owners the next question is whether Yamaha intends to contiue with OS upgrades for the 9000 Pro and/or will it release the same kind of OPT panel voice editors for it that it has for the Tyros? Will there be continued marketing of the 9000 Pro (all current material is very dated) or is something new in the works to replace it?

#94869 - 11/17/02 09:50 AM Re: Is the 9000 Pro still the "flagship"?
zuki Online   content

I think it's remarkable that a keyboard in this price range has done so well. It is extinct in music stores, so that in itself proves a lot of sales are by mere reputation. IMO, a 'Tyros 76' with plug-ins and hard drive would start the Pro's demise. Until that time, I will stick with the Pro, for there are too many 61's on the market.
Zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#94870 - 11/17/02 11:03 AM Re: Is the 9000 Pro still the "flagship"?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
I was told by a Yamaha demonstrator who was part of the development team that Yamaha had no plans to offer a 76 note version of the Tyros due to the cost factor.

I play a friends Tyros twice a week and I use a 9000Pro myself and in a number of aspects a Tyros would be a down grade.

It has been stated that Yamaha intend to delete the 9000 & 9000Pro OS flash update from their Web site. I hope this is not true for the sake of the people now buying used PSR9000 coming onto the market do to the part exchanges for the Tyros. This would be a poor customer support act by Yamaha.

Graham UK

#94871 - 11/17/02 11:55 AM Re: Is the 9000 Pro still the "flagship"?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
In my opinion the pro (the 9000, not the author of this topic ) is still the Yamaha flagship; the Tyros, in Yamaha's own words, is a keyboard aimed at the home market and not at the professional, gigging musician. I hope that nobody will take offense for what I am about to say, but when I played the Tyros I had a definite feeling that it was a budget keyboard, and by no means a flagship; yes, it's "cute", but it looks and feels like a budget keyboard, more or less like the PSR 2000 (too bad that the price is NOT budget...)
Of course right now Yamaha is all concentrated on the Tyros, but my guess is that as soon as the Tyros frenzy is over, they will continue to support the pro (and of course also the PSR 9000).
Like Graham wrote, a keyboard like the pro today would have a prohibitive cost and so I have a feeling that in the future it will keep a good value on the used market.

#94872 - 11/17/02 12:12 PM Re: Is the 9000 Pro still the "flagship"?
trtjazz Offline

Andrea,
Actually here was the quote from Yamaha literature....

"TYROS is an extremely versatile unit for stage, studio, or home."

Sounds to me like that includes "the professional gigging musician."

jam on,
Terry

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 11-17-2002).]

#94873 - 11/17/02 12:39 PM Re: Is the 9000 Pro still the "flagship"?
Micco Offline

Loc: Finland
No no no no!!!!!!!!!!!

The Tyros is not a budget keyboard. The Tyros is a flagship keyboard. I will order mine tomorrow morning. I just packed the Tyros to the original box and I will return it (I had it for home trial this weekend). I will post my review of this keyboard lately.

I hate the PRO9000s synth type keys. I donīt know why. They just donīt feel confortable to my fingers. The PRO9000 doesnīt have speakers and also the Tyros doesnīt have internal speakers and I havenīt decided if I buy the optional speakers. The speakers on the PSR9000 where fantastic. I will miss them.

In the other hand PRO9000 has 76 keys. I donīt need them because I have Roland RD-150 stage piano under the keyboard, but some people need the 76 keys. For me the 61 keys is enough on a keyboard, but on a piano no. There even the 76 keys are not enough. The PRO9000 has also many other advantages. I agree with that, but for me Tyros is the way to go.

#94874 - 11/17/02 11:05 PM Re: Is the 9000 Pro still the "flagship"?
Dreamer Offline

Terry and Micco, I am sorry if what I said has offended you. Maybe yesterday evening, when I wrote my thread, I was a bit tired after spending the whole day recording a new song and my words sounded harder than I meant.
I am sure that you both will have a lot of fun with the Tyros.
Peace?

#94875 - 11/18/02 03:00 AM Re: Is the 9000 Pro still the "flagship"?
Dreamer Offline

I would like to add a few things to further clarify my point.
Of course I, like everybody else, am entitled to my opinion; if I think that the 9000 pro is a better value for the money compared with the Tyros, that's fine, but the point is:
knowing that Micco has just ordered his Tyros and Terry his waiting for his since long time, it was tactless or even rude on my part to write what I did on the Tyros.
I think that as long as we make good music on them, all the keyboards are good. All too often, however, we (myself included) make the mistake to denigrate a keyboard simply because we didn't choose it. Maybe that's a way to reassure ourselves that we did the right thing, but still I feel that it should not be done. The bottom line is that our value, as musicians and also as human beings, cannot depend on the keyboard we choose.

#94876 - 11/18/02 03:11 AM Re: Is the 9000 Pro still the "flagship"?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well said, Andrea . It is not the instrument who makes the musician

JJ

#94877 - 11/18/02 04:32 AM Re: Is the 9000 Pro still the "flagship"?
trtjazz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer:
Terry and Micco, I am sorry if what I said has offended you. Maybe yesterday evening, when I wrote my thread, I was a bit tired after spending the whole day recording a new song and my words sounded harder than I meant.
I am sure that you both will have a lot of fun with the Tyros.
Peace?

Andrea,
No offense taken. You sure are entitled to your opinion....even if it is wrong.
We're still kissin', but no tongues though.
jam on,
Terry

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 11-18-2002).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online