SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#94717 - 12/30/03 11:21 PM SD1
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I had a long talk today with a nice guy that is a rep for Ketron in Houston. In fact, I encouraged him to check out "our" forum. Since he not only sells Ketrons, but also performs on the SD1, he would be a very valuable member.
Also had a long talk with John "JCKeys".
I wonder how many here are using SD1s or XD9s since there seems to be little Ketron discussion lately. Is it because everyone who has them is happy?
I plan to go to Houston to play one when I get a chance.
DonM

#94718 - 12/31/03 12:44 AM Re: SD1
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
Hi Don,

Seems like a good idea, winning this Ketron rep over to the forum here.
From our contacts you know by now that I have sold my KOrg PA80 and have ordered the Ketron SD1(plus). Next to your entry is the -renewed- discussion of the new Korg PA1x being a disappointment or not.
All I can say is that I enjoyed having the PA80 for 2 years and that I have the feeling I produced some nice things with it.
However I needed a new challenge and ,though not having played the new Korg myself, there were several reason for abandoning Korg for a while.
1. Customer support, though not bad, is not half as good as many think, particularly if you raise a somewhat critical voice.
2. Also there was a conspicuous lack of software backup as regards good professional styles. (it seems the new korg contains most of the PA80 styles and more of course
3. the problems quoted by JMPCPA as regards the fill ins and in particular the weak acoustic piano show once more that in some ways Korg are pretty slow on the uptake.
4. last but not least , the price in Europe is almost prohibitive, in Holland the official price is 4200 Euros, going price appr. 3500 Euros (= appr. 4400 dollars !!!!)
No doubt it will (have to) come down soon but then the damage may be done.
Anyway, I used to be a keen Solton(=Ketron)
player only to be side-tracked by Korg over the last two years. I still maintain however that the TWO K's (ketron and korg) are among the frontrunners in professional entertainer keyboards, and cannot for the life of me understand the song and dance that people make about Yamaha, noticbly the Tyros. Mind you it is a good keyboard, but a keyboard it remains. With Ketron and Korg , in my opinion, people can be (more) easily led to believe there's a real band playing.
I had the SD1 for a very brief period of time two years ago, but with the complete new overhaul (version 4.0= more or less the
SD1plus) I feel I should give it another go.
No doubt my good friend Roel (de Jonge) overhere will agree with me.
P.S. I don't know about the STates but overhere the Korg PA60 (in many ways similar to its bigger brother) is selling at knockout prices !!! (appr. 1250 dollars)
I may get one again eventually , cause I am convinced that for the time being there is nothing to beat a set up with two K-keyboards, a Ketron and a Korg that is.......
happy new year to all of you !!
john

#94719 - 12/31/03 02:23 AM Re: SD1
Roel Offline

DonM,

As you probably know I'm a happy SD1 user. In my view there is no other keyboard that has this incredible musical feel. There are some minor problems but Ketron will solve them in the soon coming release 4.0c
I hope John gets his brandnew SD1Plus soon and am sure he won't regret his purchase.

Happy (SD1) new year !

Roel

#94720 - 12/31/03 08:15 AM Re: SD1
DonM Offline

Thanks guys,
What got me started thinking about this is that there is a guy here locally who I helped buy a Ketron module from George Kaye a year or so ago.
I happened to hear him recently and it blew me away. He plays fair guitar, but the sound was tremendous--like a live band.
It just got me thinking. . .
I just received an email from the rep I mentioned, Vince Ramos. I think I'll plan to go to Houston next Monday. I need to get out of town for a day anyway. There are at least two guys down there who I can go see playing SD1 live, plus I can get some hands-on time with Vince's kb.
DonM

#94721 - 12/31/03 08:32 AM Re: SD1
Dnj Offline

Good luck Don in Houston........

Let us know what you think about the Sd-1

#94722 - 12/31/03 04:16 PM Re: SD1
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
Hey Don!! Great talking to you the other night. I just love this forum!! My passion is Arranger KB's and there is no where else on earth to get as much information on them as here!!! As I told Don I loved my SD1 but now it is gone .... Need a change! I may have jumped the gun a bit but I believe you can not hold on to these KB's too long!! Two years is my MAX!! Then on to something else.
GOOD LUCK DON!!!

#94723 - 01/03/04 12:30 PM Re: SD1
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Don...

I concur with Roel, IMO there's something special about the musical feel and sound of the SD1. Not only the live drums, but most of the voices are very musical and realistic. Knowing that you're "a little bit country" (so am I, to a lesser degree), I think you'll be impressed with the country styles. I'll be anxious to see your impressions.

#94724 - 01/03/04 03:07 PM Re: SD1
DonM Offline

Glen, I did enjoy the country styles on the X1, but then they are pretty good on Yamaha too.
I haven't decided if I'm going this week are next yet.
Ohio State looked good!
LSU will dominate Sunday.
DonM

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online