SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#94554 - 07/02/03 08:34 PM Re: Inexpensive Monitors??
KeithB Offline

Loc: Melbourne AUSTRALIA
I use a pair of Behringer Truth monitors for my KN7000 and am very happy with them (hard to compare with anything else as I haven't tried anything else!) however I did find I needed a Mixer as some of the high sounds (trumpet etc) can come through a little strident, and I needed the equaliser controls on the mixer. Use a Behringer Eurorack UB802.
Keith

#94555 - 07/02/03 09:24 PM Re: Inexpensive Monitors??
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
The UB802 is an 8 channel mixer with 2 mic pre amps and 3 stereo line input channels. It features 3 band EQ on each channel and sells for $79.00. There is now a UB502 mixer which has 1 mic pre amp and 2 stereo pair channels for only $49.00. Both are a great way of adding more inputs for whatever you might be putting into any pair of studio monitors you buy. The inputs on studio monitors are usually hot enough for decent volume, but using a mixer gives you the right amount of level to really make the monitors "sing".
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
(Retired 2021)

#94556 - 07/03/03 11:30 PM Re: Inexpensive Monitors??
KN_Fan Offline

Hmmm....I'm chatting with my dad right now and he said to try Altec Lansing 621....good clarity, good power, cheap. (about 130 bux). The review I read somewhere said that while it's not a 'reference studio monitor' (d'oh!), its sound is pretty damn good that if you're just using it for 'home use' mixing- you should do just fine.

Terry- I read it somewhere you used to have this speaker?? Or anybody else??

Heck- If I get that, plus a new all-purpose/vocal mic (probably Shure SM58). I think I'll be allright.

#94557 - 07/04/03 07:36 AM Re: Inexpensive Monitors??
trtjazz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by KN_Fan:
Hmmm....I'm chatting with my dad right now and he said to try Altec Lansing 621....good clarity, good power, cheap. (about 130 bux). The review I read somewhere said that while it's not a 'reference studio monitor' (d'oh!), its sound is pretty damn good that if you're just using it for 'home use' mixing- you should do just fine.

Terry- I read it somewhere you used to have this speaker?? Or anybody else??

Heck- If I get that, plus a new all-purpose/vocal mic (probably Shure SM58). I think I'll be allright.

Kn,
I do have a set of the 621's with sub, that is now attached to my X box and sounds great. I originally bought them to replace my Tyros speakers, that did not work out that well for me.

Here's the thing about all of this. It depends on what you are buying these monitors for. If you are looking for speakers/monitors to do your mixdowns to burn to cd, then what you want is the flatest response near field monitors you can buy. So that we understand what that means is...."flat response" means that the speakers essentially act the same towards all frequencies, it does not color the bass mids or highs.

If you want something to just listen to in the studio that sounds killer, then go by what your ears tell you. If you want them for mixdown to listen on any different set of soeakers.....as flat of a response as possible, you then have to dial in your sound to get it all to sound killer, but then that is what you will hear on all systems.

While there may be many monitors that sound killer when you play your mix through them, if they color the response by not being "flat response" monitors, then when you play them on any other speakers, it is going to sound a whole lot diffeerent and wrong to what you thought you were getting.

In all due respect to Pauls opinion, you do not have to spend big dollars to get them either. Again I would urge you to listen to the M Audio BX 5's.....$300. What I hear out of these speakers is what I get regardless of what system I have played my cd's on, i.e., too much bass on them = too much bass in the car or home system.

I have not heard the Behringer Truths but they are also supposed to be very good at this.

While some may disagree with this, an effective set of studio monitors should not sound neither good nor bad, what they should do is give you as accurate as possible representation of the mix and not a colored sound that sounds killer on the monitors but like crap on everything else.

I have a set of Alesis M1 actives that I was using for my mixes and everything I did with them, when I played on a different system the bass sounded way too thin. That was because the M1's colored the bass big time, so I kept cutting the bass to get it to sound right on them, but was then too thin for other speakers. They now are great speakers hooked up to my Tyros, just for playing it.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 07-04-2003).]

#94558 - 07/04/03 10:09 AM Re: Inexpensive Monitors??
KN_Fan Offline

Thanks guys for your response.

Terry- I have a few objectives for getting these new speakers. I want it to be multi purpose anything from listening to MP3s, play game, etc (which even a 30 bux speakers would do at this point), as far as the CD mixdown, yes- that's one of the major reason for me to do that. But I don't need a super duper quality for this. Just something acceptable is fine. As long as its clear, pretty 'flat' and doesn't have that 'boominess' when I test it in my car/home stereo i think i'll be okay. This is just mainly to burn a CD from my performance in my Triton Studio.

KN

#94559 - 07/04/03 11:33 AM Re: Inexpensive Monitors??
trtjazz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by KN_Fan:
Thanks guys for your response.

Terry- I have a few objectives for getting these new speakers. I want it to be multi purpose anything from listening to MP3s, play game, etc (which even a 30 bux speakers would do at this point), as far as the CD mixdown, yes- that's one of the major reason for me to do that. But I don't need a super duper quality for this. Just something acceptable is fine. As long as its clear, pretty 'flat' and doesn't have that 'boominess' when I test it in my car/home stereo i think i'll be okay. This is just mainly to burn a CD from my performance in my Triton Studio.

KN

KN, then I'm back to the BX 5's or the Berh. Truths. IMO.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#94560 - 07/04/03 08:44 PM Re: Inexpensive Monitors??
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
There is a guy asking $335. for two Behringer Truths on Harmony Central want ads. www.harmonycentral.com
DonM

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 07-04-2003).]

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 07-04-2003).]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online