SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#94544 - 07/01/03 05:45 PM Inexpensive Monitors??
KN_Fan Offline

Guys,
I think it may be the time for me to change to a nicer set of monitors for me....I've read the discussions between all you pros, but can somebody give me ideas on good monitors under..uuuhmm....two hundred bucks/pair??
Thanks

[This message has been edited by KN_Fan (edited 07-01-2003).]

#94545 - 07/01/03 06:02 PM Re: Inexpensive Monitors??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello.

Sorry but you won’t get a “Quality” pair of Studio monitors for anything even close to 200 $ a pair. In saying that… you won’t get any Studio monitors for 200 $.

For $200 you could get a pair of quality headphones, like the Sennheiser HD 500

If you can stretch your budget, I would highly recommend you take a look at the Behringer Truth monitors. At a cost of $500, they are seriously great value, and very accurate.

If you look after them, they will be easily the single most greatest investment you ever made.

Regards.
James.

[This message has been edited by James Tubbritt (edited 07-01-2003).]

#94546 - 07/01/03 06:20 PM Re: Inexpensive Monitors??
KN_Fan Offline

Woaaw!! That's expensive!

#94547 - 07/01/03 06:31 PM Re: Inexpensive Monitors??
Dnj Offline

You can't SKIMP on sound quality. I would suggest you go to a few stores and A/B some Monitors and see the difference between them so you can make an informative decision.
Sound is very subjective, only YOU can make the right choice for yourself!

Good Luck

#94548 - 07/01/03 06:45 PM Re: Inexpensive Monitors??
KN_Fan Offline

I think almost anything sounds better than my old Boston Acoustic speakers at this point.

I think I may have seen your a month old post Dn...it was about the same Behringer Truth monitor that James mentioned, but at a price of 399 I think.

Also I'd assume that getting a monitor only is not enough since I'll be using my Sony Stereo sytem as a preamp...(I know...this is ugly).

Hmm....where should I spend my money on?? New Monitors?? or A new set of couch for my living room...hmmm....

#94549 - 07/01/03 06:54 PM Re: Inexpensive Monitors??
trtjazz Offline

Kn,
Have a look at these: http://www.midiman.com/products/m-audio/studiophile.php

I bought a set of the BX 5's (actives) and they are incredible flat response monitors for $300. for the pair. Tossed my M1 actives aside for these and they are 100% better.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 07-01-2003).]

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 07-02-2003).]

#94550 - 07/01/03 07:36 PM Re: Inexpensive Monitors??
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I sell both the Behringer Truths and the Studiophile BX5s. The Behringers are only $100.00 more and sound as if these were $1000.00 monitors. I also sell the MA10D (digital) Edirols for $135.00, but you can't compare the sound or power with the other two.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, california
818-881-5566

[This message has been edited by George Kaye (edited 07-01-2003).]
(Retired 2021)

#94551 - 07/02/03 02:46 PM Re: Inexpensive Monitors??
KN_Fan Offline

Thanks George....

I'll go to the nearest GC to check how they sound. Then I'll look for a good deal from you

KN

#94552 - 07/02/03 05:05 PM Re: Inexpensive Monitors??
KN_Fan Offline

Just by browsing music123.com

Here are some that I may be interesting in scoping out:

Samson Resolve65a
BX5
EventTR5
Truth B2031
Yamaha MSP5

I was thinking also: Alesis/Roland/Fostex..but I've never heard anybody uses that for Studio monitors.

By the way- I'm a truly amateur guy...that's why I didn't want to pursue the very very high quality speakers...as long as it's pretty true to the actual sound, good output, low noise, good clarity, I'm satisfied (I know..I'm not asking too much am I? )

#94553 - 07/02/03 08:06 PM Re: Inexpensive Monitors??
PaulD Offline

Loc: Eugene, OR
Here is a question for you, and I have found a lot of people making this mistake. If you are looking for referenced speakers for recording, you need to pony up the big bucks and get a good flat response Referenced Studio Monitor Speaker. A common mistake is that these speakers sound better than cheaper speakers. A good reference speaker should be a flat response, honestly, some cheap speaker system should & could "sound better" than a referenced speaker. A Studio Monitor, generally thought of as a referenced speaker has no "color" to the speaker... This is a long winded way of saying, if you are just looking for a good speaker to listen to your instrument and aren't recording professionally, then you can get a lot of speaker/amp combo for 2 bills.

In my studio, I have several speakers set up, I have the referenced monitors while recording, and then I have everything from a single 10" speaker, to car stereo setup and then a home theater rig to do final mix down. (I know, extreme, but very helpful to hear what the final mix should be.)

This will slay all the pros with the 1k studio monitors when I tell you this, but you may want to look at some of those higher end computer speakers, some of them are very impressive with a sub and crystal clean highs, with more than acceptable mids, for under two hundred.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online