SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#94456 - 11/21/01 11:54 AM Re: PSR2000: Synchro Start/Stop Settings: Can they be SAVED in Registr.Memory or?
flowerssupply Offline

Loc: Ireland
Scottyee I use one folder for all and I set up about 20 files for each type of style eg Cntry ,cntrysl, all slow stuff is A eg Aworkin (=workin man 8beat at 112 tempo) this way all my stuff has the same number eg 120 = waltz , 070 = JOboy (ie all my love an all my kissin) this way when I add new setups I use one of the pre set up 20 files. This means that I simply turn on x1 and press registrations and I get all my setups and words of relevant songs by pressing eg 070 ie. JOBoy I am anxious to look at this issue further as it is the basis of our programmes and perhaps my way is only best for x1 or perhaps there is a better way for x1. On x1 if I created several folders I would have to go to
Disk
Files Choice
and select folder for each type of stuff
I assume you dont have to do this. ?????
I have been trying for nearly a year now to get to discuss this type of thing and nobody seems interested---
I see this a as great topic to open up as it could get us on to types dance etc and relevant tunes and registration of same plus share stuff. Pierce

#94457 - 11/21/01 12:53 PM Re: PSR2000: Synchro Start/Stop Settings: Can they be SAVED in Registr.Memory or?
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Hi Scott,
sounds great. I'm at work right now, will e-mail you when I get home, wich will be late.
Eric

#94458 - 11/21/01 06:27 PM Re: PSR2000: Synchro Start/Stop Settings: Can they be SAVED in Registr.Memory or?
Joe Waters Offline

Loc: Sterling, VA USA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Scottyee:
[B]... The word is: REGISTRATION MEMORY!
.... Also, don't worry about Registration Banks using up too much file space. You can store up to 800 files and folders in the PSR2000's USER memory. [QUOTE]

I believe the "800 files and folders" refers to how many will fix in the PSR's index of files and folders. That many may fit on a floppy, but not necessarily in USER memory. I made several Registration files and saved them to disk. The size varied between 10 and 13K. By contrast, a "style" could be much larger, 30-40K not being unusual. 30 files in user memory could use up the whole 580K of a PSR 2000. Users may soon find that storing a lot of stuff in User memory will eventually run into a message that tells you you are out of room when you try and save one more file. Thus, we will have to become clever about how we utilize that precious 580K.

In an earlier note, I mentioned that one could set up your own OTS settings. To do this, however, requires putting the style in user memory. If a registration is going to refer to the style, it must be in user memory, not on the floppy. I found a lot of the internal styles using the Hah Choir for the left hand voice and I prefer using a Piano for that voice. But if I changed the style setting, it would require saving that style to user area or floppy. I have discovered another alternative that seems to work just fine. I put the style in one of the 8 registration memory slots. From there I can adjust the left voice and adjust the balance for the various voices including all of the accompaniment voices, turning them on or off or adjusting the balance as desired. When I then call up this style from the registration memory, I can "freeze" the style and then that setup remains in place for all of the OTS settings provided with that style. In other words, if I set the left hand voice to "Grand Piano", it will be set to that in each of the OTS settings while the settings maintain the original main and layer voices. Therefore, with one registration setting, I have the style, with accompaniment adjusted to my taste, and five preset main voices (registration + four OTS)that can be used with any of the 4 style variations. Of course, if there are other main voices available in the other 7 registration postions, they would also be available at the touch of the button. I am still experimenting with this technique, but it does seem to provide a lot of bang for the limited "memory" buck.

#94459 - 11/21/01 08:41 PM Re: PSR2000: Synchro Start/Stop Settings: Can they be SAVED in Registr.Memory or?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
One sorely missed feature on the PSR2000 is not being able to view/monitor (perhaps in a screen menu) the amount of USER memory 'being used' or 'how much' memory is still available. I wonder if it's possible for Yamaha to implement in an OS update?

Joe, your description of how Registration Bank files can be used to store 'customized' style settings as well as tying them with the OTS memory settings (via Freeze) re-interates exactly my point that 'Registration Bank' files are really the most important key to file management efficiency on the PSR2000.

In my PSR2000 keyboard setup, I configure the 'Registration Memory' feature in one of two ways:

1) Memory Bank (1-8) dedicated to ONE song: each button a different custom setup for each section of the song: AABA,solo,ABA.
2) Memory Bank (1-8) for a variety (set)of songs/styles: each button configured for a different song & style or, a medley of up to 8 different songs and styles.

- Scott

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online