SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#94419 - 03/24/07 10:04 AM Re: Roland E80
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I guess Roland have always assumed that their G-series WAS specifically for pros, who already have a sound system, and play at volumes that no on-board speaker system is capable of. I shall regret the day they take any notice of the hobbyists' and home players' needs, and produce some flimsy light-weight keyboard with little durability.

That is what the E-series and EXR-series are aimed at.

As you can tell from most posts here, few (if any) are willing to lift the 40+lbs of the PA1X or G70. But, OTOH, few are willing to pay those prices either.... For their target audiences (seems to be mostly background or retirement community jobs) these light-weight sounding as well as weight home keyboards do just fine.

But some of us are still in the trenches, doing the same kind of gigs any other professional keyboard player is playing - bands, duos, nightclub and big functions. The sort of place you'll normally find a big workstation and racks of gear. For us, weight is not so much of an issue. But durability and playability ARE.

Many feel that a 61 note keyboard is good enough. And for them, apparently it is. But if you are a working pro, you have to have the tools to be able to do ANY job you get thrown. Unfortunately, a 61 note does a poor job of full piano work (a 76 is a stretch, but it CAN be done), and is problematic when split. I prefer to have ONE keyboard I can trust (and get to know intimately) to do ANY gig. Or I start to have to carry around more than one keyboard. Talk about a weight penalty there!

#94420 - 03/24/07 10:36 AM Re: Roland E80
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Common misconception...size and weight equal quality and performance.

Don't be fooled.

Ian

------------------
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

#94421 - 03/24/07 06:08 PM Re: Roland E80
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I still haven't heard a decent reply to the question regarding the E80 onboard speakers. Looks like we've successfully turned this thread into another famous bitch session. Doesn't anyone have an answer to the original question?

#94422 - 03/25/07 05:02 AM Re: Roland E80
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
I agree with Ian. I hate when that happens!!!!

#94423 - 03/25/07 11:35 AM Re: Roland E80
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
I had the E80 before part exchanging it with my G1000 for the Wersi Abacus duo pro.
The E80's onboard speakers are terrible, most of the music retailers in the UK advise purchasers about this, but if you take the outputs into a good PA or sound card on the PC then something like Logitech speakers, the E80 comes to life. It's got great sounds and styles, with plenty of depth to them

#94424 - 03/25/07 03:19 PM Re: Roland E80
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Common misconception...size and weight equal quality and performance.

So that is why the T2 doesn't have speakers? I'm sorry, guys, but I can't remember the last gig I ever played where any built-in speakers would be even audible over the PA, yet alone clean enough for monitor purposes.

I really DO understand that maybe most of you play in very quiet gigs, or just at home. Unfortunately, I don't play those kinds of gigs. A very light portable keyboard with built-in speakers is perfect for those kinds of gigs. Nursing homes, background music, dinner music, in-store demos, all these would be a great match for a home arranger.

But some of us don't play those kinds of functions. I know this is kind of a OMB forum, but there are people using arrangers that don't fit into that bracket. They might be younger, and unfazed by a 45lb lift. They might play high volume, high energy gigs. They might play outdoors, and need powerful PA's....

Just because these people don't do the same thing as you, don't expect (nay, demand!) that your equipment choices are going to work for them. I mean, just trying to get a decent piano performance out of a 61 note keyboard is enough to make any pianist cry! How many light weight 76 or 88 note arrangers are there? The E60 I think is the lightest at about 30lbs. Then they go up sharply. And don't even ask Craig what his Abacus Duo Pro weighs!

You may have decided that compromising your performance for the sake of convenience (c'mon guys, how many of you HATE playing piano parts on a 61 note?) is OK. But some of us haven't, yet. Give us a break. This is a GENERAL arranger forum, not the 'Nursing home OMB' forum. It should be able to encompass views from ANY arranger user.

I won't lie to you..... if they made a lighter 76 note arranger with as good a key-bed, and as sturdy as my G70, I'd already have it. But they don't. So to do what I gotta do, I use what I gotta use. When I start my nursing home career, I'll probably change, but even then, I won't deceive myself about being HAPPY about it.

Let's face it, if someone were willing to move it around for you, what would you prefer..... a lightweight portable home keyboard, or a Steinway D, a B3, a Rhodes, some ARPs and a Minimoog and a great rhythm section to play with? Maybe SOME of you would STILL prefer to play your PSRs and Casios, but I've got a sneaky feeling that some of the real players amongst you would LOVE to play the 'real thing'.

So, let's not kid ourselves. If a better, but heavier alternative exists to what you already play (me, I'd LOVE an Abacus Duo Pro, but can't afford it!), you are only making that decision out of expediency. And different people have different degrees of 'expediency'.

-------------------------------------------------
Laziness is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be ambitious.

#94425 - 03/25/07 04:44 PM Re: Roland E80
ianmcnll Offline

Diki,

I know in the midst of your frenzied and wordy reply to justify using heavy and outdated equipment, there must have been a lesson of sorts...but, I guess I missed it.

Some of us have the ability to adapt and reap the benefits of lighter equipment...others just can't grasp the simple concept...size and weight do not always equal quality and performance.

Having said that, it is high time that this thread hijacking should stop, for I fail to see any reference in your post to the quality of the speakers in the Roland E-80.

Your quote at the end of your post....is it a rule you live by?

I like mine much better.

Now...back to the topic...please.

Ian

------------------

#94426 - 03/25/07 05:36 PM Re: Roland E80
Diki Offline

I'm sorry. To where should I address the get-well card for Nigel? Presumably, he is sick and you HAVE been appointed forum moderator?

No, can't be.... my posts are still here.

#94427 - 03/25/07 05:46 PM Re: Roland E80
ianmcnll Offline

------------------

#94428 - 03/26/07 03:56 AM Re: Roland E80
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Ignore the Fly Ian and it will buzz away...hopefully...

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online