SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#94409 - 03/23/07 06:51 AM Roland E80
spalding4 Offline

Loc: england
does anyone here own the Roland E80 ? I went to a music shop today and jammed with one for about an hour using the onboard speakers. I messed about with the speaker modelling function and no matter what i did i could not get a decent well rounded and realistic sound from out of them. Its sounds like the instrument is being played through paper. Has anyone that owns the instrument actually managed to get a well balanced and authentic sound from the onboard speakers alone. I know what it can sound like through a mixing desk already.

#94410 - 03/23/07 11:51 AM Re: Roland E80
Dnj Offline

Did you try every available speaker setting?
Sorry to hear that.....I would think the onboard speakers would be really good they are nice size! What else can you tell us about the E80?

#94411 - 03/23/07 12:15 PM Re: Roland E80
andre159 Offline

Loc: slovakia
I have E-50 and on board speakers arent very good in it. Maybe in E-80 are related speakers...

#94412 - 03/23/07 01:46 PM Re: Roland E80
Spalding1 Offline

Loc: birmingham,england
yes DNJ i tried every preset speaker model and then started to try and edit them and try as i might i simply could not get a decent sound out of them.

The key feel is lighter than the Korg that i play . It looks and feels as a whole pretty well built. I have said before i like the styles. I listened very carefully to the drums but they sounded stupidly thin because of the speakers.

#94413 - 03/23/07 03:52 PM Re: Roland E80
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The E80 is already weighs 50lbs. And you want BETTER (read 'heavier') speakers in it? LOL.....

T2 already figured it out: no-one wants to carry the weight. It takes a system with a sub to make any decent volume out of the hi-fi sounds in a TOTL arranger. Who on earth wants to run a $4000 arranger through tiny 4 inch speakers?

Save yourself 5 pounds, get a G70 and get a decent 76 note keyboard thrown in for free.... Then at least get a 2.1 speaker system that can stay clean at the volume levels you REALLY want to play at!

I know, I know....... somebody is going to chime in and say how wonderful the speakers are in THEIR arranger (PSR, anyone?). To which I say, if they were THAT good, why didn't Yamaha use them in the T2?

Perhaps they realized that after paying that sort of money, firstly, most are going to want to hear it through better speakers, and secondly, that customer COULD afford a decent system, or already had one!

Unfortunately, Roland have yet to understand that their target audience can't lift 50+ pounds!

#94414 - 03/23/07 04:37 PM Re: Roland E80
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#94415 - 03/23/07 07:56 PM Re: Roland E80
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
"Unfortunately, Roland have yet to understand that their target audience can't lift 50+ pounds!"

Not so much "can't" as "won't" because there are so many options where it isn't necessary.

DonM

#94416 - 03/23/07 11:37 PM Re: Roland E80
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Arrangers were primarily designed for the home market, and adding additional speakers and amps does not go down well with other members of the household, (Upsets the furniture layout) and if they are into Feng Shui then you really are stepping on dangerous ground.
Enjoy whatever you play

Bill

#94417 - 03/24/07 01:03 AM Re: Roland E80
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
I had a go at the e80 last november. Found the sounds and styles disappointing. I think when u play a keyboard...it either connects to u or it does not. And the store wanted 6000 us dollars for it as it was the only one in south africa at that time. Lol

#94418 - 03/24/07 06:43 AM Re: Roland E80
Spalding1 Offline

Loc: birmingham,england
Thats what i dont understand diki. I own the PAx and it weighs slightly less than the E80 but the speaker system is simply outstanding. Why build a keyboard as heavy as the E80 with built in speakers that sound so poor that you cant even justify the extra weight with its purchase ?

AS an aside, for the scarcity of time that i have in my busy life to play the instrument and the way that i have to grab moments to rehearse with choirs and small vocal groups, plus the fact that i take my 7 year old daughter every where with me , there is just no way that i would ever buy a keyboard that did not have built in speakers. For large venues play direct through the church pa system or an amp but why would i want the extra hassle when i just needed to grab a 30 minute practise with a group or if i had to move to another room because of shortage of space ?

Never mind the times when i feel inspired just before bedtime and want to get something recorded on the sequencer to expand upon in the morning ! For me built in speakers are esential.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online