SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#94238 - 02/27/05 08:44 PM Re: PC help needed
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Fran,

You don't have to go online to get a virus--all you need to do is install a downloaded file and they can sneake into your computer. However, I don't believe this is a virus or worm. Possibly a corrupted .ini file in windows. You may have to reinstall Windows to eleviate the problem.

The next, and easiest step is to download a copy of AVG Virus Scan from www.grisoft.com and scan the computer. Then, do a scan disk, followed by a disk-defragmentation. If this fails to solve the problem, the next step is to reinstall Windows, which hopefully will result in a cure.

If all this fails, the only option is to format the hard drive and do a complete restoration. I've had to do this a couple times in the past few years, it's a pain in the butt, but essentially, you end up with a brand-new computer.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#94239 - 02/28/05 01:05 AM Re: PC help needed
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
That full blue page of error shows for a split second...How can I hold the blue screen long enough to read it?

Fran, when the computer reboots and the moment you see the error message, press the 'Pause/Break' button on your keyboard once. Your computer screen will freeze (pause) and you can then read the error message. It is a little tricky to do especially if the message appears for just a brief moment. If you fail the first time reboot and try again. You'll eventually get it, and hopefully on the first try.

After you've read the error message, to continue with the boot up simply press the 'Enter' button on your computer keyboard and your computer will then continue to load Windows and boot to your desktop screen.

Now regarding your problem, many things could be causing it.

Here's some things you might try:

As Gary mentioned, run a Virus Scanner to see if your Laptop is infected with a Virus or other Malware. AVG is a good free Scanner. Make sure the .dat files are up to date. In other words, get the latest Version of the AVG Anti-Virus program, i.e. "7.0.3" and then load it onto your Laptop. After it is installed, run the Scanner.

Try using an Ad/Spyware remover program such as Ad-aware. Even though the Laptop is not connected to the internet you still might have gotten some junk files on the computer somehow.

Try uninstalling Winamp again and this time make sure it is "completely" uninstalled. To do this; uninstall Winamp in the Control Panel Add/Remove Programs. Reboot the computer, then go to Start/Search/"All Files and Folders". Before you do a Search make sure in Windows Explorer/My Computer that in the Tools/Folder Options/View menu, which can be found at the top of an open Windows Explorer/My Computer window, the radial button is ticked (enabled) for "Show hidden Files and Folders". Then in "All Files and Folders" in the Search Menu type "winamp" without the quotes in the File Name box. Make sure in the "Look In" box that your Hard Drive (usually C:\) is selected.

Delete all references to Winamp (if any). PS: Don't delete the .exe or .zip of the program itself as you may want to install it again later.

I would recommend you go into the Registry Editor and delete references to Winamp likewise but if you're not familiar with the Registry and not comfortable editing or deleting registry keys, etc. yourself, then instead you could use a Registry Cleaner found on the internet such as "Easy Cleaner". It is a free program and it does a pretty good job.

Btw, I have Winamp 508c and have had no problem with it. Therefore I'm not even sure Winamp is the culprit. You may indeed have a Hardware problem or some other Software conflict going on.

Update us as to the situation Fran.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 02-28-2005).]

#94240 - 02/28/05 01:26 AM Re: PC help needed
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Fran, did you run a scandisk & defrag in safe mode?
If not, try it, but bluescreens often indicate
memoryfailure or other hardware faults as well.
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#94241 - 03/16/05 06:47 AM Re: PC help needed
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Gunnar , you were right on the money..
After spinning my wheels, re formatted the hard drive[lost everything to boot..no pun intended]...same problems...Bought a new hard drive, and could'nt load the operating system or restore files..continued to re boot with the blue screen[boo boo notice]..

After an extended"pull my hair out" time...I found out that one of the ram chips was bad, thus kicking off and forcing XP to re boot...exactly what Gunnar suggested..

Thanks to everyone that responded to my call for help..

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online