SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#93896 - 11/07/01 07:46 AM PSR 2000 - Question about synth edit capabilities
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I played around for a couple of hours with the PSR2000 and it sounds pretty good, but I did not really delve into the voice edit parameters too far, so for those who already own the board or have tried this function it extensively, I would like to know if synth editing is limited to the very basic parameters such as resonannce, cutoff, attack, decay, modulation, etc, or is there more detailed editing capabilities within the board. The answer to this will go a long way towards my decision to replace my 740 with it. I also would like to know if the parameters that can be modified in an xg edit program ( very detailed synth editing ) would be saved when writing into a user voice. On the 740, I can save all of these edits into a midifile which can later be reproduced away from the xg edit software by playing the midifile itself internally in the kb. If I could do the same in a user voice, that would also be a big plus, as I could now reacall those settings in real time.

AJ

#93897 - 11/07/01 10:10 AM Re: PSR 2000 - Question about synth edit capabilities
Shakil Offline

I am not sure about the XG voice editing onboard, but I am sure it will respond to whatever you do in XGEdit.

By the way, even in XGEdit, the only thing you can edit of an XG voice is:
filter cutoff
resonance
EQ
attack, decay, release
modulation
tuning
portamento
effects sends

and all of these parameters are editable in PSR2000, both on panel voices and the XG voices.

[This message has been edited by Shakil (edited 11-07-2001).]

#93898 - 11/07/01 11:59 AM Re: PSR 2000 - Question about synth edit capabilities
Krix Offline

Loc: Linkoping, SWEDEN
"the ONLY? thing you can edit of an XG voice is:
filter cutoff
resonance
EQ
attack, decay, release
modulation
tuning
portamento
effects sends"

Seems allright to me.
I am a beginner !

Krix

Ps What demands do we have? DS

#93899 - 11/07/01 05:15 PM Re: PSR 2000 - Question about synth edit capabilities
Bluezplayer Offline

In XG edit much greater detail than what I saw available on the PSR2000 itself, LFO mods, amplitude control, low pass filter controls, very detailed eg and effect edits, semitone scale adjustments, etc.. Maybe I just missed some of these on the board itself.

AJ

#93900 - 11/08/01 08:12 AM Re: PSR 2000 - Question about synth edit capabilities
Shakil Offline

Yes all of these parameters are available in Sound Creator screen.

#93901 - 11/13/01 09:15 PM Re: PSR 2000 - Question about synth edit capabilities
Bluezplayer Offline

I just got the 2000 and so far I like the board just fine. The synth editing capability in the board however is not even close to what I have in XG works, but I'm happy just the same. I'm also happy that the person who I sold my 740 to did not need the XG works software, as I had it included in the package.
AJ

#93902 - 11/13/01 09:17 PM Re: PSR 2000 - Question about synth edit capabilities
Shakil Offline

I am a little confused here..
Can you list the synth parameters that you can edit in XG-Works, but can't on PSR-2000?

thanks,

#93903 - 11/13/01 09:54 PM Re: PSR 2000 - Question about synth edit capabilities
Bluezplayer Offline

EG initial level, LFO fmod, amod, amplitude, pmod, hi pass filter, breath control, growl control, wind controllers, reed / pipe / string editors to name a few. The board does good editing, no doubt, for what it is, but not with the detail ( or when composing the ease of instant access like I have with a mouse and softwre screen ) of xg works - xg and vl editing. Still, I can do a good bit away from the computer now, and it is far better than the 740 in that respect, as it had virtually no edit capabilities.

I am very happy thus far with mine though. Its' sounds are a pleasnt surprise to me. I have the PA80 also, which has great sounds, of its' own, sampling on the upcoming OS, and has pro synth edit capabilities, so I have all the sounds and editing I'll ever need. I just like the ease of use of the 2000 though too. having owned a 740 and having used a 9000 for a time, it is rather easy for me to access all of its capabilities and functions.
AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 11-13-2001).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online