SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#93672 - 01/18/04 07:34 PM Re: How many rely on the internal sequencer on there arranger keyboard ?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by DanO1:
Not many are making sequences from scratch on their internal sequencers is what I'm getting .

I concur with SK880's thoughts.

Though I don't create my midi sequences totally from scratch, (I record mine on the onboard sequencer, utilizing the styles in the kb) I rarely (if ever) utilize or perform along to commercially produced midi sequences, because even the best ones always end up sounding too canned (and predictable) for my tastes. The MAIN attraction for me to arranger keyboards is its ability 'to follow' your playing moods and spontaneous chord changes (and chord substutions) as well as taking an extra chorus, modulating to another key if the mood strikes, etc. The ability to do these things on the performance fly makes all the difference between a predictable (boring?) performance and one filled with energy & spontaneity resulting in a more satisfying & memorable performance for both you and the audience, keeping them coming back for more. Though I realize some of you rely heavily on performing with midi sequences (and that's ok I suppose), I urge everyone to learn to perform as much as possible in arranger keyboard mode, or at least create your own custom arranger kb sequences to play along with. I 'don't want' my songs to sound exactly like the record (karaoke ) , and my audiences don't either. Sorry if I sound preachy here, but this issue sits close to my heart. - Scott

#93673 - 01/19/04 01:35 AM Re: How many rely on the internal sequencer on there arranger keyboard ?
KN_Fan Offline

Well- I never used the sequencer in my years of owning the KN series, but I reaally relied heavily on the composer function (which I sorely miss).

With my triton studio- i have no choice but to use the internal sequencer.

but I've never used any outside sequencer since the MC500 era (my goodness- that was like some 20 years ago??)

#93674 - 01/19/04 01:55 AM Re: How many rely on the internal sequencer on there arranger keyboard ?
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I've got two Ensoniq keyboards (ESQ1, SD1). One of the reasons I bought the ESQ1 rather than (say) a Yam DX7 was the inbuilt sequencer. I got the SD1 because it had a more flexible sequencer and critically a floppy disc (yes I know I could have maybe got an SQ80 but this didnt move the sound capabilities onwards and I like to upgrade for more than one good reason at a time!).

On both of these keyboards I became very adept at using the on-board sequencers.

However when I lurched into Midi Files things changed wholesale. I got a PSR630 because a Hotel my duo (KEYS/DRUMS) play's at were badly short of a midweek "SINGALONG" solo act so I gave it a go and discovered that you really need some help with the backing. I got the 630 because it used XG (and I had an MU80 so I knew about XG) and played back Midi Files from a PC floppy. At this point it was clear that I would use a PC to edit and create midi files because the editability of the sequencer on the PSR630 was abysmal even compared to the ESQ1.

So I 've been a Cakewalk/Sonar person ever since.

The PRS2k sequencer is still woeful in comparison to the PC or the Ensoniq, but I can use it to do remix / revoices so that can help.

So - I use the sequencer on the 2k only to replay midifiles. I only edit using it if a really have to, and then only to do very basic things.

#93675 - 01/19/04 03:22 AM Re: How many rely on the internal sequencer on there arranger keyboard ?
STAM Offline

Loc: Brussels, BELGIUM
I use the sequencer on my pa80 because I find it is easier to create a midi sequence with the internal sequencer.
Then I use the computer sequencer (cubase) to edit the midi sequence. This is generaly to edit extra notes, to modify the bass line, to quantize well. These operations seem more easy in the computer because of the large screen view and the mouse.
Then, my midi file goes on the pa80 where I edit the final mix, the effects, the balance...

#93676 - 01/19/04 03:26 AM Re: How many rely on the internal sequencer on there arranger keyboard ?
STAM Offline

Loc: Brussels, BELGIUM
I have to say I have a little problem when creating midi sequence on the pa80.
When I load this sequence inside cubase I can see somme parasitic notes (most often on the accompagnement tracks) that I have to erase manualy.
I don't know why.

Is there somebody else who has the same problem?

#93677 - 01/19/04 03:28 AM Re: How many rely on the internal sequencer on there arranger keyboard ?
YamBox Offline

Loc: Finland
Yes, I use it. Not much but when ever I feel like I need to do something more complex than just play.

#93678 - 01/19/04 04:59 AM Re: How many rely on the internal sequencer on there arranger keyboard ?
to the genesys Offline

For me an arranger goes hand in hand with an on board sequencer. The quick record way of using styles with fill and intros to record a song, as a midi file to me is a very easy way to get a full song recorded.

95% of the times I use the sequencer to create songs from scratch. Sometimes I would create a user style with just the drum tracts, record that in to the sequencer then add the other parts. The time I use commercial midi files is when I want to learn a new song.

I would use a computer software when I want to record vocals. I would transfer my sequence on the keyboard by an audio connection and synch the keyboard to the computer sequencer. So I would have both vocals and separate music tracts on one program.

#93679 - 01/19/04 06:00 AM Re: How many rely on the internal sequencer on there arranger keyboard ?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
DanO,
One of the main reasons I buy a keyboard is for the sequencer. Even though I don't really care for the direct disk recording on my 550 (which is quite limited), I still find myself using it often.... Everytime I sit down to play my keyboard I always use the sequencer. The only thing I really don't use on my arranger is the style recorder. I just can't get into the drum sounds on my PSR. They seem so bland and dated. All my drum tracks are recorded using a drum machine midi synced to my keyboard. Using the drum machine is so much quicker and utilizes pattern chaining (which I think is a must when recording drum tracks).... Every now and then I like to use my 550's sequencer to edit midi files.

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 01-19-2004).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#93680 - 01/19/04 09:11 AM Re: How many rely on the internal sequencer on there arranger keyboard ?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
With my G1000 ,I use the onboard sequencer all the time. I find it better and faster than the PC, although many of my edits after sequencing are system exclusive to the G, but that is no problem...the G being my go to keyboard anyway...On my PSR2100, the sequencer....forget about it...When I use a PC sequencer, I prefer PG Music's Powertracks over Cakewalk Sonar..since I use it for basic edits...

#93681 - 01/19/04 10:47 AM Re: How many rely on the internal sequencer on there arranger keyboard ?
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
I only use my Roland VA5's internal sequencer.....its quiet amazing..

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online