SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#93662 - 01/18/04 01:10 PM Re: How many rely on the internal sequencer on there arranger keyboard ?
to the genesys Offline

I think an internal sequencer is so important on an arranger. Especially since it is the only keyboard I have. It gives me the versatility of being able to have a full song or midi file ready to play with whether on a gig or for practice. I think an internal sequencer is also so important for composition. I like the all in one capability.

If I had a standalone synth workstation and was looking for an arranger then I would not require an internal sequencer on that arranger. Especially if the internal sequencer would increase the price.

Who knows, as people increasingly use computer software sequencers, they may be no need for a sequencer on an arranger. Maybe this would be good so that keyboard manufactures can concentrate on improving on the arranger functions and sounds. And hopefully the prices of some of these “high end” arrangers would be less.

#93663 - 01/18/04 02:32 PM Re: How many rely on the internal sequencer on there arranger keyboard ?
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
I own Cubase SX and Nuendo2 and of course, I have the sk880 which prides itself with the best internal sequencer in the market (well, not the best, for Genesys has beaten it) and I use both the internal and external existensively. In fact, I almost use all features, and if they added more features, I will use the added features.

I think a nice feature will be if they can have a digital out on the keyboard so one can transfer 8 tracks of 24bit/44.1khz at the same time to the computer.

#93664 - 01/18/04 02:40 PM Re: How many rely on the internal sequencer on there arranger keyboard ?
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
I use a computer sequencer. But notice that the new PSR1500 and PSR3000 have built-in Ethernet... that wasn't something that consumers were demanding - it's a way for Yamaha to make even more direct delivery of content to the keyboard. This'll probably end up being like the Apple music download thing: 99 cents a midi file or something like that. So we're not going to need a sequencer as much in the future except for original composition. Also, with color displays, Ethernet and everything else the newer PSR's are closer to actually being computers than ever before. So the Opn Labs (N)eko PC-based instrument concept never was that far off... we're probably getting there anyway.

#93665 - 01/18/04 02:43 PM Re: How many rely on the internal sequencer on there arranger keyboard ?
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Alex, I think you misread the topic. It was internal sequencer, not speakers.
But while we're on the subject, I totally agree with you. I think a 76 key arranger with speakers would be a good seller, providing it didn't get TOO heavy.
DonM

Don,

You are absolutely correct. That's what I get for referring to people with less than perfect vision as "old fogies".

Poetic justice, I guess.

To address the topic of the post - I never use the sequencer during performances. Sometimes I will download a song to hear what it sounds like during practice. However, I have now found a better way: I purchased MidiNotator, which will now automatically open any MIDI file I double-click. This way, if I need to I should be able to print the melody track and keep it for future reference.

I would venture to guess that most people who play MIDI files on the job are already using the computer for this task. I suppose it is nice to be able to record a song you are playing, but IMHO, editing capabilities in the keyboard sequencer are not mandatory at all.

Regards,
Alex

#93666 - 01/18/04 04:59 PM Re: How many rely on the internal sequencer on there arranger keyboard ?
tom moon Offline

Loc: Haddonfield, NJ, USA
I have the 9kpro, and if the sequencer was better/easier, I would use it. was sorta forced to go the software-seq route for original composition. I'm still looking for the right keyboard, but w/ Yamaha not doing the 76-key tyros pro, I'm pretty sure it won't be an arranger. the fantom sequencer is pretty straightforward, I hear....

it's a shame, b/c I'm sure lots of people would flock to an arranger w/ a well-equipped intuitive sequencer...

#93667 - 01/18/04 05:01 PM Re: How many rely on the internal sequencer on there arranger keyboard ?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I have hardly ever used the sequencers on any of machines (XP50, iX300, PSR2000). I did experiment with the XP50 a little; it had a great loop sequence. But for the most part, anything I want to sequence I record and edit through Cakewalk or PowerTracks.

#93668 - 01/18/04 05:13 PM Re: How many rely on the internal sequencer on there arranger keyboard ?
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Don,

Their is a difference with a sequence that is made in the i30 in the "Backing Sequence Mode" (BSQ) all of the functions work like fill-in fade etc while playing the sequence for performance. I thought other arrangers didn't have this capability with sequenced tunes?

I can also while sequencing while using the arranger function while in BSQ mode just re-record one bar where there is a mistake. I don't have to start at the beginning. I can also copy a bar or the whole chorus and paste it at the end of the first chorus etc.

I thought someone said that they had to start over from the begining to correct a mistake and that they couldn't record just one chorus and then copy and paste it to make a 2 or more chorus tune. They acted like if they want 4 choruses they would have to record the all 4 choruses.

Maybe I read all of those old post wrong.
sorry about that.

#93669 - 01/18/04 06:52 PM Re: How many rely on the internal sequencer on there arranger keyboard ?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Dan: I use and find the onboard sequencer on the Yamaha Tyos (and formerly on the PSr2000) convenient when I want to record an auto accompaiment/keyboard performance from begining to end, in one take, I rarely (if ever) use the keyboard's on board sequencer for post editing, other than editing an isolated note. I also rarely ever attempt to quantize the live performed parts because this seems to always result in removing the spontaneous magic of the original kebyoard performance. One nice advantage of the Yamaha sequencer's onboard sequencer is that it also saves the auto accomp chords with the song, so the chords can be displayed & send to the harmonizer on playback as well, convenient if you want to record (or re-record) your vocal track (with harmonies) later. - Scott

#93670 - 01/18/04 07:01 PM Re: How many rely on the internal sequencer on there arranger keyboard ?
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Ok...nice feedback .

Not many are making sequences from scratch on their internal sequencers is what I'm getting .
Traditionally a midi sequence would have to be copied into the sequencer of your particular keyboard for the end user to edit the song . You would make the adjustments , save the new settings (sounds , transposition , effects etc..)and save to disk .

Agree ?

Would you say that it is easy to edit sequences on your keyboard ?

How many use the keyboard to change the sounds from a sequence ?

How many use a computer sequence program ?

I'll check back in the morning.

Good Night . Dan

#93671 - 01/18/04 07:26 PM Re: How many rely on the internal sequencer on there arranger keyboard ?
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Dan,

The overwhelming majority of my sequences are from scratch and are done in the keyboard. The best way is to start with the sequencer of the keyboard but the finalization of editing can be done on the computer.

If somebody wanted to edit an already-made sequence, I think they would go directly to the computer. But I do not do that because I write my own arrangements and sometimes, I even compose my own melodies.

For me, a sequencer is a tool and there is a place for both software and hardware tools. Dropping or limiting the sequencer of the keyboard can be, in my humble opinion, a big mistake an arranger keyboard can do.

I have a dream, that the people here in this forum will be able to create their own styles from scratch. That these styles will be of the highest quality and that they can do this with ease, confidence and enjoyment. Only then, we will see creativity increase and the prices of arranger keyboards decrease.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online