SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#93652 - 01/18/04 10:31 AM How many rely on the internal sequencer on there arranger keyboard ?
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Curios ???? Dan O'

------------------
Technics,Ketron Yamaha Casio arranger keyboards .
www.keyboardcity.net
1-866-348-8876

#93653 - 01/18/04 10:36 AM Re: How many rely on the internal sequencer on there arranger keyboard ?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I use it some, but mostly for editing midi files. It is way down on my list of really important features.
DonM

#93654 - 01/18/04 10:44 AM Re: How many rely on the internal sequencer on there arranger keyboard ?
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Dan,

My main keyboard is Roland G1000 (no speakers), which I play most of the time with the YST-MS50s at half-volume at most - the internal speakers would do nicely to replace them for practice or personal monitoring.

For my smaller gigs I take my Roland E-70, which has I believe 30 watts of internal amplification (woofer in the bottom, plus two speakers on the sides).

I wish that there were a professional (Sorry Casio) manufacturer with 76 keys and speakers in a single instrument.

Yesterday I was playing a very fancy private party (with the MS50s). Towards the end of my playing they had asked me to accompany someone, so I had to move from where I was standing to the stage. I had to move the keyboard with the stand, and separately the speakers (two trips). Had I been using a digital slab piano with speakers, and a laptop, it would have been the same number of trips for me. Ideally, though, someone will make a good 76-key board with speakers and the high-end arranger functions built in.

Regards,
Alex

#93655 - 01/18/04 10:49 AM Re: How many rely on the internal sequencer on there arranger keyboard ?
Roel Offline

I never used it Dan ! and probably never will..... just curious : Is 'there' spelled right ? (It's us the Dutchies )

Has anyone heard some news about the Liontracs mediastation ?

#93656 - 01/18/04 10:53 AM Re: How many rely on the internal sequencer on there arranger keyboard ?
DonM Offline

Alex, I think you misread the topic. It was internal sequencer, not speakers.
But while we're on the subject, I totally agree with you. I think a 76 key arranger with speakers would be a good seller, providing it didn't get TOO heavy.
DonM

#93657 - 01/18/04 10:55 AM Re: How many rely on the internal sequencer on there arranger keyboard ?
DonM Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Roel:
I never used it Dan ! and probably never will..... just curious : Is 'there' spelled right ? (It's us the Dutchies )

Has anyone heard some news about the Liontracs mediastation ?

Roel, actually it should be "their". We all know what he meant, but sometimes we forget the international nature of our forum. I have the utmost respect for multi-lingual people. I do well just to understand one language.
DonM

#93658 - 01/18/04 11:30 AM Re: How many rely on the internal sequencer on there arranger keyboard ?
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
I use my sequencer on the i30, but it's not a simple 16 track sequencer. In the BSQ mode your can record with the arranger functions and on play back you can change programs, intros, fills, endings, and fade etc on the fly just if like you were playing live. For me playing the saxthis is really a nice feature.

Of course it really benefits those who play a horn or guitar etc. I can see where someone playing live keyboard would have no use for these features.

The market would be much bigger for arrangers and software dealers if horn players were educated to see how this stuff works.

Horn players are always looking for other musicans to play with. It's a shame because it's such a task to get guys together to jam, practice, gig or whatever.

Who today hires a 6 or 7 piece band for $500 or more a night? It doesn't happen enough to keep horn players happy.

On a sax forum, I'm trying to explain to beginners who want to learn to improvise on their sax, how valuable BIAB is. It creates solos and will print them out in sheet music form.

It's a full time band that never gets tired, plays any style music or beat you want endlessly. How convienent.

If you can't learn to improvise with these computer tools and arrangers, go lay brick or do something else. BIAB is the easiest way to learn to improvise or improve your playing. Basically, because you can do it over and over with a rhythm section at any tempo that you can play, any time you feel like jamming.

All the experience players on the sax forum are telling the beginners to go out and find people as often as possible to play with to learn to improvise. Just think of all the time they could spend in their homes everyday playing with a band compared to once or twice a month with other musicians who maybe don't even play very well.

BIAB and arrangers are as perfectly in tune as possible. What a great feature that is. It can be a nightmare sometimes trying to learn to improvise. You're no better than the musicians you play with.

To improve you need to practice and especially play with musicians that are better than you as often as they will let you play with them. That has always been a fact of life in the music profession and bricklaying etc.

Dan, I think there's a large market being missed by arranger makers and software people by not getting into schools and making students of music aware of these tools of the trade. Especially horn players.

Dan, carry a keyboard to school with a sequencer, or sponsor a clinic at a local motel for horn players and musicians in general. Show some of the basics and by all means don't play the keyboard. Let the sequencer do the playing and bring a sax or trumpet player that can really play and demonstrate the benefits of practicing and learning to improvise with the background music that they can sequence themselves.

All, that's right I said all horn players primary want is to be able to improvise. Vocalist could care less about improvising.

That is where the value of an arranger or software comes in for a large market (potential customers for you Dan) of "want to be Improvisers." Be sure to leave a business card with your phone number. If you can't sell arrangers to such an audience as you will have, come out to Colorado I'll teach you to lay brick and sell you all of the equipment I'm trying to get rid of. Or maybe Fran can teach you to install windows and siding.

Maybe the music teachers are holding this technology back for fear of losing their jobs. The school computers have MSWorks and other software but doesn't seem to have sophisticated music software.

Any music teachers here? Am I wrong again? Please let me know. I'm trying to tone down and keep an open mind.

I'm not doing very well, am I? I'm gonna start sending my post to Terry for editing. He seems to be more tactful in his post. I'm not gonna let Dave edit my post, I don't want to get thrown off of the forum.

[This message has been edited by brickboo (edited 01-18-2004).]

[This message has been edited by brickboo (edited 01-18-2004).]

#93659 - 01/18/04 11:50 AM Re: How many rely on the internal sequencer on there arranger keyboard ?
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
I stand corrected , THEIR ...not There ...... ........!

#93660 - 01/18/04 11:53 AM Re: How many rely on the internal sequencer on there arranger keyboard ?
DonM Offline

Some good points Boo. I don't think music teachers are holding info back on purpose. I think they don't have a clue as to what an arranger is or does. It would be unthinkable for most of them to think "chords" instead of reading notes.
Boo, all the arrangers I've had in the past few years have been able to record the intros, ending , fill-ins, etc., in real time in the sequencers. The only ones I know of that have a dedicated chord loop recorder are Korg and Roland, but the "easy record" feature on Yamaha does the same thing.
DonM

#93661 - 01/18/04 12:46 PM Re: How many rely on the internal sequencer on there arranger keyboard ?
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
I use the sequencer to make and edit midifiles.
I think it is a great feature to be able to create music from the arranger styles. Saves a tremendous time compared to building them from scratch. I would never buy an arranger that didn't have a sequencer.

------------------
Roy-Andrč

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online