SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#93514 - 07/02/03 08:14 AM Re: TC Helicon Voice Prism
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
ziggy .... from one Tony to another ... I'm certainly not looking to defend anyone here, but I think the issue has to come down to the fact that when we purchase gear, even based on the many opinions of people who may use that gear, our satisfaction with it, like theirs, is going to be purely subjective ... what I hear is not going to be what you hear, and what might be a 'little fiddlin' around' to one person may be a BIG deal to another ... How many times have you seen a movie that was praised by critics, only to wonder what the fuss was all about??? ....
I purchased a digitech workstation ex based on the comments I read from forum members ... I had never heard that particular unit, but it fit my budget, and as I said, the comments were pretty good ... also, I purchased it off e-bay, which I was cautioned about doing ... For me, the digi is fine .. it sounds good, does the job, and I've gotten a number of compliments on it ... BUT ... if I were NOT satisfied, the fault could only lie with me for not hearing and trying the unit first...
(BTW . I also bought my kn6000 sight unseen, sound unheard ... talk about a leap of faith ...) ... I find it interesting that you have now heard 3 harmonizors, seemingly AFTER you purchased the TC ... had you taken the time to do that before, you might not be unhappy now...
I don't think you can fault people for expressing their opinions, not matter how strongly, even when they do not agree with yours...
Personally, as a digitech user, I am glad to hear that someone does not think there is much difference (other than price) between the digi and the TC ... at least I don't feel I'm missing out by not having a TC ...
t.

#93515 - 07/02/03 08:37 AM Re: TC Helicon Voice Prism
ziggy Offline

Loc: Malta
Tony I am not trying to blame anyone here, but if you go way back in the forum everyone described the TC as OUTSTANDING. Now that I heard it I still stay that it is not, and let me tell you you made a good Bargain like me, Cause I purchased mine from the one and only Scottyee.
About your other question of course we heard other's before but since the shop we ordered it from purchased 3 it wasn't nice to say to him that he didn't liked it so my friend had to purchase the TC.

But I told my friend what everyone said on the forum and the Desision was his and his alone, I myself didn't give him any advice about it, cause never heard one so I passed to him what I heard in this forum.

I am saying all this so if any of you are going to purchase one re think about it, cause you can get a much cheaper one with just the same results. That's how we learn from one others mistakes, so I felt I had to put this Expirience of my friend here so others can read.

Tony

#93516 - 07/02/03 11:01 AM Re: TC Helicon Voice Prism
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Tony,
Here are some cold, hard FACTS that defend the price of the TC.
(NO opinions expressed here)

1)Phantom power
2)Dedicated on/off switch for main signal
3)individual level for EACH harmony voice
4)individual pan for EACH harmony voice
5)internal mult effects that can be routed many ways - even to an external source
6)dedicated fast edit buttons
7)octave shift for EACH harmony voice
8)gender change for EACH harmony voice
9)quieter output, extensive EQ
10)AC power cord - NO WALL WART

These are the first 10 that come to mind, without any bias. If you add personal taste into the mix - the list will go on.

I'm not taking any offense here either - just defending my original point of why I thought it to be a superior product to the rest of the pack. I stand by that asessment today. It's worth every penny for the extra quality and flexibility you get. The new models seem to have much the same sound with fewer features.

Speaking of "finesse" .... there are many examples of fine instruments that required a steeper learning curve:
Lets start with the mother of all programming nightmares:
The original DX7.
The PA80 is no walk in the park at first.
The Triton is very sophisticated too.
Roland JV series .....
There are TONS of very fine products that require a substantial investment in learning the ways around it before you reap the benifits of it's performance.

When I make the demo, I'll make identical phrases on the Digitech AND the TC so you can see what I mean. Nothing I've posted so far really shows off the harmony the way I use it at work. The track on my web page of "She's no lady" is recorded live in the X1 using the internal unit. My outboard gear has a much stronger impact.

#93517 - 07/02/03 11:58 AM Re: TC Helicon Voice Prism
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
One advantage I like about the Digitech Vocalist Workstation EX, not found on the Voice Prism unit is its volume 'sliders' which make for convenient 'on the fly' adjustment especially during live performance.

I can't speak to vocal technique requirements of vocal harmonizer singing, but I appreciate the easy 'plug/play' and impressive results I get from both the Digitech Vocalist Workstation EX as well as from the built in vocalizer in the Tyros. No special adjustments or tweaking necessary. I had a chance to audition (a while ago) the TC Helicon Voice Prism and acknowledge that it sounds a bit better, but personally feel the gigging convenience of the built Tyros vocalizer outweighs the hassle of having to drag additional equipment & assoc wires/plugs around. In addition, being able to store & automatically call up the Tyros' 'vocalizer settings' via Registration is a BIG plus that I'm not willing to sacrifice. I may consider (in the future) the TC Helicon unit for use in the studio, but after reading Ziggy's comments, I'm definitely going to have to give the Voice Prism a more critical audition now before laying that kind of cash down.

btw: Tony (Ziggy), glad to hear you finally received the Digitech Workstation I sent you. I trust it arrived to you safely, as it was quite a long journey from California to Malta. - Scott

#93518 - 07/02/03 12:16 PM Re: TC Helicon Voice Prism
Uncle Dave Offline

Scott,
The TC had 4 dedicated knobs that access much more than just the volume of the parts. You can blend in just one voice, or switch gender, pan, reverb level .... much more possibilities than the EX offers.
If i remember, the sliders were not programable, right? You had lead, rev, harmonies, etc...

#93519 - 07/02/03 12:20 PM Re: TC Helicon Voice Prism
cam8neel Offline

Loc: Providence, RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:

I purchased a digitech workstation ex based on the comments I read from forum members ... I had never heard that particular unit, but it fit my budget, and as I said, the comments were pretty good ... also, I purchased it off e-bay, which I was cautioned about doing ... For me, the digi is fine .. it sounds good, does the job, and I've gotten a number of compliments on it ... BUT ... if I were NOT satisfied, the fault could only lie with me for not hearing and trying the unit first...
t.

...and I, in turn, bought a Digitech Workstation ex from eBay based on my friend Tony Mads experience. Hey, that's how I purchased most of the equipment I own, from comments made on this very forum. But, T's right. Ultimately, we are responsible for purchasing products we have never laid hands on, based on others' say-so.

Just my 2 cents.......

Angelo

#93520 - 07/02/03 12:47 PM Re: TC Helicon Voice Prism
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Ang ..... you listened to ME?!?!? OH NO !!! .. what the he!! do I know???? .... NO ONE... not the kids, not even the DOG ever listened to me !!! ... WOW!!! ... I'm amazed... (there's that song again )

t.

#93521 - 07/02/03 12:51 PM Re: TC Helicon Voice Prism
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Dave.

Thank you.
And I would like to hear your demo.

I know what your saying regarding factory demos and I would have to agree. Although these guys making the demos did actually create the module. I also understand that the end users spend more time using these modules than the manufactures…. So it’s the advanced end users demo’s I would be more interested in hearing. Which is you.

Bye.
James.

#93522 - 07/02/03 02:56 PM Re: TC Helicon Voice Prism
ziggy Offline

Loc: Malta
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Tony,
Here are some cold, hard FACTS that defend the price of the TC.
(NO opinions expressed here)

1)Phantom power
2)Dedicated on/off switch for main signal
3)individual level for EACH harmony voice
4)individual pan for EACH harmony voice
5)internal mult effects that can be routed many ways - even to an external source
6)dedicated fast edit buttons
7)octave shift for EACH harmony voice
8)gender change for EACH harmony voice
9)quieter output, extensive EQ
10)AC power cord - NO WALL WART

These are the first 10 that come to mind, without any bias. If you add personal taste into the mix - the list will go on.

Dave well and good the features are there althought most of them are found in Digitach Workstation, I am comparing with digitech because this was the contestender here, and I think for Live performance Digitech wins, I heard most of the factory setups and they sounded VERY ROBOTIC and not good at all, we tweaked into all the settings to make them sound better but the result wasn't that much better.
What get's me sometimes in here everybody start taking a discussion like this, as if we are getting at one another, I have great respect to all of you here, but if I heard something that I din't like I can't just say ok I liked it because someone said it was the best choice. So let's kep on the subject and not at one another.

I have had the Digitech for a few hours and I got a wonderful result with just a little tweaking and I could go out tomorrow with it and perform cause it's so easy to use and effective, I don't think my friend is going to use it, he has decided that he is going to put it on sale, because the fact that the onboard Harmoniser isn't that bad compared to TC, and that's the point of it all for live performance it's not that good, now when it comes to studio we are talking a different language here, I would never compare performing live to playing in a studio. So to come back that's what the subject was all about, and that is for live performance I think from what I've seen and heard you could do with spending Half the cost of TC Helicon and still get brilliant results. Remember I alwayes used the word OUTSTANDING and not just GOOD.

I started this thread so I hear from others but it seems not muany of you have the TC, so I may ask why not everyone goes for this Harmoniser since it is sooooo good????

I leave the answears to you.

And thx Scotteyy I did get it safe and sound, very well packed, I'll ketch up with you on MSN.

Tony.

#93523 - 07/02/03 03:25 PM Re: TC Helicon Voice Prism
Uncle Dave Offline

Tony .... I count 7 of my list that The Digi EX does not have. Which items are you refering to? The ones i think are exclusive to the TC are:
1,2,5,6,8,9 and 10! And the other three are not as easy to access.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online