SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#93504 - 07/01/03 02:13 PM TC Helicon Voice Prism
ziggy Offline

Loc: Malta
I can't understand how there is a fuzz about the TC Helicon Voice Prism, as I had your openion on this forum I suggested my friend to order it cause from what I heard in here this was the best there is in the market. Well I've heard it and I must say what a Disapointment it is, there is nothing in the sound that justifies it's high price, In my and my friend's opinion it doesn't deserve such a fuzzz, I was truly disapointed for making him buy one, but I can't understand how most of you said this was an outstanding Harmoniser, Well it isn't and I wouldn't suggest any one to purchase one at that price. I have a simple Harmoniser on my Genesys, it is plain and simple but very effective. I would like to here from any of you who said that this was the best on the market. Especially Uncle Dave who use one!!!! no offence to anyone but I still can't understand why most of you said it sounds better than the rest.

Sorry But I am very disapointed.

#93505 - 07/01/03 02:53 PM Re: TC Helicon Voice Prism
harosha Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
What exactly you didn't like about it? Is it the sound quality or you don't like the added harmony? May be you are not sending the right MIDI data to it.

I have Voice One and I love the way it sounds. I have used Digitech Vocalist products in the past and this was an upgrade for me.

#93506 - 07/01/03 03:02 PM Re: TC Helicon Voice Prism
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Ziggy,
You were pretty hasty to push something on your friend without hearing it yourself, don't you think? All these reviews here are very subjective, but you can still find some continuity in opinion if you study up on a product.
I think the entire mind-set of using harmomnizers is the problem. You nned to set levels, learn techniques, and modify your style to get the most from it. The TC has the best tone I've ever heard, and the parameters for modifying the harmonies are VAST. My guess is that your friend (and ,maybe you too....) thought that a harmonizer was a "magic box" that makes a singer out of any old sound. Not true, my friend. Not true.
I still think TC makes the best sounding boxs in the market, and it's ok if you don't agree, but I'd reeeeeealy suggest that you fiddle with it a bit - it's a complex piece and with a little TLC, it'll perform great.
Give it another try !

#93507 - 07/01/03 03:58 PM Re: TC Helicon Voice Prism
Dnj Offline

Correct Dave,

Using a harmonizer is an ART FORM all in itself besides playing and singing. You must learn to use it perfectly or don't even waste your time.

#93508 - 07/01/03 04:13 PM Re: TC Helicon Voice Prism
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello.

Ziggy might be referring to the fact that they sound extremely false when you go beyond a basic duet harmony.

It's not a user error issue.

Regards.
James

#93509 - 07/01/03 07:47 PM Re: TC Helicon Voice Prism
Uncle Dave Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by James Tubbritt:

they sound extremely false when you go beyond a basic duet harmony.

That's your opinion James, but I heartily disagree. I often use 3 or 4 voices to get a 4 Freshman type harmony. You DO however, need to learn a new skill to operate, trigger and "authenticate" harmony useage. If you don't understand the concept of choral singing or tight harmonies from experience, then the practice of using an electronic "group" will be very hard to relate to.
Believe me ...... I can sell a 5 part vocal group that turns heads night after night.
I grew up singing harmpny because my vocal range was always a little lower than the lead singers on the radio. It taught me to listen "inside" the chords and find just the right balance of tone, diction and dynamics. It's an art form in itself, and it's not as easy as learning to read music. It has to be "felt" and expressed. It has to blend with the lead, without overshadowing it. It's a musical conversation, really.
It's tricky, but it CAN be done. I do it every night.

#93510 - 07/01/03 11:43 PM Re: TC Helicon Voice Prism
ziggy Offline

Well, it seems that you all thought that I rushed it from the box and pluged it in and VOLA, that is not the way I do things, I am very experienced when it comes to managing any kind of computerised boxes, so that is not the case.
I know you can almost set any concepth in it, that was not my argument, My argument is that compared, "because you mentioned it here" to Digitech Workstation the difference isn't that much so that you say it was worth the money you spent on it.

I know that there is the matter of opinion, but when I asked here I got the idea that it was OUTSTANDING, well from first hand experience now I say it is like all the rest you have to be careful like all the others to keep Harmonies in the backround, if they are a bit lound like all the rest sounds ROBOTIC, I don't think I have lost my sence of hearing yet, I'm still young for that.

But don't any of you tell me that the price is justified we are talking $1200 that's how it cost over here. Sorry but I don't agree all the others sounds good as long as you leave the Harmonies right in the backround and TC is no exception, for eayse of use I think the Digitec Workstaion is much much better and you get the same results.

UNCLE DAVE QUOTE
--------------------------------------------
You were pretty hasty to push something on your friend without hearing it yourself, don't you think? All these reviews here are very subjective, but you can still find some continuity in opinion if you study up on a product.
--------------------------------------------

I wasn't but I trusted that some of you had a vast experience on harmoniser, so I trusted you were telling first hand experience and I did look up about it.

Well don't take any of you this as an offence but I have been perfoming for over 15 years, and I think I can tell a difference between good and outstanding.

TC is just like any other hight end product and to me it is clasfied as just GOOD.

Tony.

#93511 - 07/02/03 05:34 AM Re: TC Helicon Voice Prism
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Dave.

I don’t think anyone would have more skill in using these vocal harmony modules than the guys that made them, and even they can’t provide a realistic demo mp3 beyond duet.

All the demos sound computerized when you go beyond a duet.
So it’s not really just my opinion, it’s actually a obvious observation.

Regards.
James.

[This message has been edited by James Tubbritt (edited 07-02-2003).]

#93512 - 07/02/03 05:59 AM Re: TC Helicon Voice Prism
Uncle Dave Offline

James,
I'll see if I can make a demo up for you. I think most people are missing the boat where harmonizers are concerned. They need finesse to be acurate, and the balance is crucial. As for factory demos .... I never go by them anyway - they can be good or bad. I need to play with it in my setting before I know what it can do for me.
Give me a little time, and I'll try to record a sample for you !
Dave

#93513 - 07/02/03 07:41 AM Re: TC Helicon Voice Prism
ziggy Offline

Dave sorry I don't agree with you here, I think you are missing the boat on this issue, when you have something that is really good it don't need a lot of fiddling with to get it to work for you. I said it is no more than other top Harmonisers and still it cost much, much more, when you can get the same results with cheaper Harmonisers.

To tell me it need a lot of fiddling with to get it to work for you is no argument, I have heard recording of you and they sound very good, but you would have got the same results with say digitech. I think as usual here it seems like the BRAND is the issue and not what it really can stand up to, I give you a small example with when I use to write about the Genesys, because it is not well known in the States well you all know how popular it is there, but I can tell you it is one of the best ALL ROUNDER for those who perform LIVE.

Dave I am not trying to blame you in any way but I think this time you where on the wrong track, Cause I have listend to 3 different harmonisers at one time and there is no difference, the only difference was the PRICE and by the way the Voice Prisom have a very BULCKY Body and nice looking Screen.

Tony

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online