SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#93364 - 05/16/07 10:46 AM Re: OT: Bob Dylan says modern music is worthless...
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Poor old Bob...I never got him.

The "good old days"(the 60's) were something...6 channel mono Shure Vocalmasters...no monitors...no compression...a reverb and maby an Echoplex...high impedance 585's were the standard. 2" tape and a 4 track board.

It was a step in the progression of an art form. To say that music went down the tubes is evidence of senility on old Bob's part. But, he's probably too rich to really give a damn. To discount the significance and talent of Foreplay, John Mayer, Corine Baliey Ray and a host of others is just stupid.

As far as recording technique and equipment goes, that's the state of the art today. It will be different next year. The thing is, music is changing and there's a new batch of real talent each year. At least that's the way I see it.

As far as biggotry...it's still there, but in
a less obvious form, sometimes. And that may be more dangerous and damaging.

Old Bob should be glad he was a product of the 60's folk era. He wouldn't have a shot today.

He has a bad case of "sour grapes".

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 05-16-2007).]

#93365 - 05/17/07 01:36 AM Re: OT: Bob Dylan says modern music is worthless...
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Even though Bob would like you to think things have changed radically since the 60s that is not the case at all. Mastering back then maximized the resulting recording in the analog world as it does now in the digital world. Effects and editing also prevailed in analog recording .... it is simply easier to do in the digital domain but the the result is the same.

Sure using pitch correction software is convenient but the result is no different from dropping in the vocal phrase 50+ times until the singer gets it right. The recording process in essence hasn't changed at all it's just got easier that's all.

#93366 - 05/17/07 05:32 AM Re: OT: Bob Dylan says modern music is worthless...
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
I hear ya Nigel, but there's no denying that records are being mastered almost to the point of no return (loudness-wise) these days.

That's what he's talking about it seems to me - production, not somebody's Talent (Corinne Bailey Rae's or otherwise).

I really think that's the point he's trying to make.

Also, I for one (as a would-be songwriter - VERY would-be) wish I'd written half of what Dylan's written.

Btw, what did Elvis say racist wise??? (serious question!!!)

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#93367 - 05/17/07 06:14 AM Re: OT: Bob Dylan says modern music is worthless...
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)

#93368 - 05/17/07 07:09 AM Re: OT: Bob Dylan says modern music is worthless...
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
hellboy44,

One comment Elvis made years ago about African Americans was that he said (in so many words) was basically "The only good a black man was to him was to shine his shoes". I remember hearing things from my parents, and other family over the years about Elvis's negative remarks towards blacks.

Actually how's this for irony.., I lived next door to Graceland as a child... I'm from Memphis myself. Used to get in trouble for playing on the the large stone wall that surrounded his property
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#93369 - 05/17/07 10:10 AM Re: OT: Bob Dylan says modern music is worthless...
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
I'd never heard about this side of Elvis before but, for me, the greatest thing to ever come out of Memphis was the whole Stax/Volt thing. That's my kind of music right there.

#93370 - 05/17/07 03:13 PM Re: OT: Bob Dylan says modern music is worthless...
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Well Squeak you were VERY lucky.

My wife and I are going to Memphis to renew our vows (in the Chapel) for our 10th Anniversary!

(2008 - October 10th)

That link is very interesting btw.
(an Excerpt)

"Many black artists have spoken out to honor the singer. From bluesman BB King to rapper Chuck D, these influential musicians are helping to change perceptions of Elvis.

Elvis couldn't do it himself.

Soon after the Sepia rumor started, Elvis broke his media silence for an exclusive interview in Jet, another magazine targeted at black readers.

Some said he made the remark while in Boston. Elvis had never been to Boston. Others said they heard it on Edward R. Murrow's CBS TV show Person to Person. But after Elvis' manager Col. Tom Parker demanded an appearance fee, CBS balked and Elvis didn't go on the show.

The Jet article of 1957 further confirmed what friends and associates knew about Elvis all along: He truly loved and respected black musicians.

"A lot of people seem to think I started this business," he told Jet. "But rock n roll was here a long time before I came along. Nobody can sing that kind of music like colored people. Let's face it: I can't sing like Fats Domino can. I know that."

Musicologists scoff at talk of a racist Elvis. A dirt-poor outcast at segregated Humes High School, he wore pink shirts and pomaded hair like the folks he admired down on Beale Street.

He listened religiously to Memphis's black radio station WDIA and became friends with then-disc jockey BB King, who later defended him in Sepia: "What most people don't know is that this boy is serious about what he's doing. He's carried away by it. When I was in Memphis with my band, he used to stand in the wings and watch us perform. As for fading away, rock and roll is here to stay and so, I believe, is Elvis. He's been a shot in the arm to the business and all I can say is 'that's my man'"

Elvis attended black church services. Two early No. 1 hits - Don't Be Cruel and All Shook Up - were by black songwriter Otis Blackwell. "

Now, in balance - this is an Elvis Fan site (Elvis.com.au), but if even half of what is said there is true, Elvis being racist DOES seem to be much more of a myth than reality.

Make up your own mind......

(what the hell was this thread about again??? lol)

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online