SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#93010 - 05/03/02 02:34 PM Moonlight Serenade
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
I am still lost into the SD1 (somewhere between the hard disk and the sampler...) but in the meantime I have kept a solid grip on my old habits and have just recorded another song on my VA7: Moonlight Serenade. The original idea was to record a Deodato-sort-of version, but I didn't like the electric piano much on that tune (I remember that all those Deodato songs with the same Rhodes sound in the end bored me to death...) The problem is that Deodato had in his rhytm section a guy named Billy Cobham and also John Tropea who played a very nice rhytm guitar with the wha wha pedal, while I had to do with what I was able to found in my VA7...
I would like to dedicate this song to our friend Mario, "the Cumbia King". (I hope to record a cumbia too in the future, Mario...)
Please let me know what you think.
Andrea
http://andrearotolo.tripod.com/dreamer/id1.html

#93011 - 05/04/02 05:33 AM Re: Moonlight Serenade
Mario Offline

Loc: Wayside, New jersey, USA
Very innovative indeed Andrea. You are daring with your ideas. Glen Miller’s great tune in latin?… Hmmm… But creativity it’s what is all about. Liked the bridge and the horns specially. May I suggest a few fill ins between sections throughout the song, would make it even more interesting. Good work!
Mario

#93012 - 05/04/02 03:03 PM Re: Moonlight Serenade
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
That arrangement reminds me of the way Chicago did it. I never heard anyone else do it that way before then, and now ... it pops up again !

#93013 - 05/04/02 05:35 PM Re: Moonlight Serenade
Dnj Offline

Nice Variation!

The sound kinda reminds me of something the VENTURES ("Telstar" etc) might have done

#93014 - 05/04/02 10:27 PM Re: Moonlight Serenade
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Mario, Uncle Dave, Donny,
The original idea was to make a Deodato kind of thing, but -as I said- I didn't like the Rhodes piano much on that tune. I had an other idea in mind: to make two versions (Deodato and Miller) side by side, but with the VA7 I couldn't find the right "Slow Swing" style. Now, I have seen that on the SD1 there is a style called "Moonlight" which seems right on the money, so it's only a matter of time...
Dave, I didn't know that Chicago had ever recorded that song (and I thought I was a Chicago fan...). I guess that I somehow like horns arrangements.
Thank you all,
Andrea

#93015 - 05/05/02 12:40 PM Re: Moonlight Serenade
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Andrea,
I'm a big fan as well, but I stumbled on THAT track by accident ! I never knew it existed till this year!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online