SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#92848 - 04/06/03 10:17 AM For Uncle Dave
sunster Offline

Loc: Mumbai, INDIA
Hello!
Uncle Dave I have been reading a lot of your posts. Im from INDIA and I have just started out doing small shows. I have a PSR 740 and my own PA system. I also do some mimicry and play on the Indian TABLAS (drums) as well. I would like you to give me some gig pointers since you have a vast experience in this field and also tell me your website address. What I want to know specifically is how to present oneself effectively in front of an audience, eye contact and such things. Your suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Thanx

#92849 - 04/06/03 03:10 PM Re: For Uncle Dave
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Sunster,
Thanx for the vote of confidence. There are many players here who have vast ammounts of stage experience that we can all draw on. I'm flattered that you asked for my help.
I started singing/playing in bands in about 1969, and nevr looked back. If I had to give some good advice in a "nutshell" it would be to delope your product (talents) and sell it for what it's worth. The audience is the final determining factor in price vs. value but you have to be happy in your presentation, or you WON'T be successful.

The world of entertainment is a very special business, and while it may pale to the likes of medicine or education .... it is vital to the human spirit. Art needs to be expressed, and taken in. It has to be FELT as much as shared. You need to develop a relationship with an audience and communiocate a 2 way "discussion" using your craftas the voice.

I 'd love to write more for you, but I'm in between a double bubbke, and I only have a few moments. n short .... be yourself, and SHARE yourself with your audience. Remember ...... the crowd wants to be entertained ..... they don't need more stress or problems in their day. Make a repertoire that is uplifting and fun, and exicute it as if it were your favorite thing to do. Playing music is a privlege, so treat it with respect. Price your services accordingly, and work to gain the trust and admiration of your client. You need to earn this trust with EACH performance, so keep your skills honed to a sharp edge. You may need it someday ! Best of luck to you. I'm sure you'll get more comments on this subject from others as well. There is a wealth of wisdom on this forum ...... weed out the bravado, and learn from each of the members. It's a very cool place to visit.

#92850 - 04/07/03 01:51 AM Re: For Uncle Dave
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Uncle Dave as ever is spot on.

If I may add some personal experience... I'm in a Duo (keyboards / drums) that used to back a very good frontman. I was out of it for a while and in that time the frontman disappeared and a guitarist turned up. Ultimately I rejoined and the guitarist left so me and my friend found ourselevs having to go out without alone. We were very worried that we would not be able to contact the audience given that I'm half obscured by keyboards and he's equally half obscured by drums.

Fears unfounded. We've never had a problem. The two big points (as UD says) are ENJOY (and more to the point make it totally clear you are enjoying yourself) and TALK TO THE AUDIENCE. It doesnt actually matter what you say so long as it isn't insulting. Try to avoid gabbling; speak at half the speed that you want to speak at; everyone talks too fast at first. You have to avoid the "30 second silence whilst I cue up the next song" problem. You can lose an audience with even 5 seconds of silence.

Also, if you screw up (and you will) stop dead rather than dig deeper. Again some chat about "how it worked fine last night" or "I really must practice that one" (or my favourite) "where did I put the instructions" should cover the gaps.

Have fun - you gotta have fun!!!

#92851 - 04/07/03 05:01 AM Re: For Uncle Dave
Uncle Dave Offline

One of the most successful working duo's, here in Philly, is a keybord/drums combination. Both players are "tied" to their instruments, but the sound is just awesome, and the crowd never stops dancing. The kb man plays manual bass at least 1/2 the night, and the rest of the "production" numbers are sequenced at home, then transfered to 4 track tapes that they perform to on stage. He chose the 4 track method because he records background vocals and percussion parts and likes to keep them on separate tracks in case he wants to change the mix in a live situation.

This guy is one of the strongest players in our area, and he never uses auto anything. He sequences from scratch, or playes completly live. There are no arrangers in his arsenal, and truth be told ..... his gear(Roland D-50, RD-200 piano and Pro-E) is WAY out of date - BUT - they work as much as they want to and pack the dance floor each night. The drummer has just about the best voice in the area and the combination of his vocals, and the live energy from piano, bass & drums ..... well, it just kicks butt .... big time. Their crowd loves to jitterbug above all else, and 90% of these songs are done totally live. It's energetic and refreshing. When they need more "punch" they turn to the sequenced tracks and add their parts on top of tight, well orchestrated arrangements that feature both voices as backgrounds. The kb man also uses a Digitech harmonizer on stage to add live harmonies behind the drummer. It's a terrific combination.

Stage presence is not hindered by your instrument, rather, it can be enhanced by your theatrical treatment of your playing techniques. Move your body ... LOOK at your audience ....... SMILE when you perform .... and most of all ..... HAVE FUN. It's got to be fun, or you'll bring the crowd down with you. This job is a great healer ...... take advantage of it's soothing power and you'll be so glad you did !
(so will your crowd!)

Again, thanx for the kind words ..... and good luck as you work your way up the musical ladder of success !

(sorry about all the typos in the original post .... I was in a major rush, and I type very poorly when I am in a hurry.)

#92852 - 04/07/03 09:03 AM Re: For Uncle Dave
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Dave, Are you Kenny and Peter's PR man now?

#92853 - 04/07/03 12:16 PM Re: For Uncle Dave
Uncle Dave Offline

Admit it ... they have the best sound that 2 people can put out. And Pete's voice? Whew. That's all I can say. He's a powerhouse.
For you local Philly people ... Pete can be heard in the credits of a show called "Primetime Philadelphia" ..... he sings ... "It's the prime time of your life ...." Ever heard it?

#92854 - 04/09/03 12:40 AM Re: For Uncle Dave
MacAllcock Offline

Well well. Another keys/drums duo! Pity I'm in the wrong country, it would be nice to compare notes. Our "modus operandi" is similar but less sophisticated; no harmoniser or 4 track but we use homebrew or heavily edited commercial sequences (played on a Psr2000 or Ensoniq SD1) for the "production" numbers. I also play foot bass pedals (old Korg BCX3 unit).

#92855 - 04/09/03 03:58 AM Re: For Uncle Dave
Uncle Dave Offline

The addition of a harmonizer (which you HAVE in the psr2000) will greatly enhance your presentation. Imagine one person singing lead and the other providing a 4 part doo wap group, or laying lush "ooh's and ahh's" under a smooth ballad! It's the only way to go ! Fire up that puppy, and your sound will jump out at ya !

#92856 - 04/09/03 06:15 AM Re: For Uncle Dave
MacAllcock Offline

Good point! I must admit I haven't really explorered the 2000 harmoniser because both me + the drummer take lead / harmony as necessary. I'd sort of forgotten about it!

Would it be best to feed the 2000 harmonizer from a separate mike, or (as it would be me doing the "singing" I suppose could I feed it from the "direct out" available from my microphone channel on out mixer.

Then I'd better read the instructions.....

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online