SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#92842 - 12/30/04 10:03 AM My rating of the Logitech Z5500
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
With much thanks to Gary, (for lots of help,and in buying one because of his professional opinion) I have hands on a completed system, and just love the expanded sounds coming from my psr9000 here in my studio.

It was a very good addition to my sound systems and I'm very pleased with the performance and for the price its a must.

Everything thats ran into it comes out crisp and clear and the effects are much highlighted, and the bass is seperated into itself for a very distinct great sound.( I rate this at a 9 )

A couple of things that could be better, the grill on the bass rattles, and the way they made it could have been better, They used 4 allenhead WOOD screws to hold it on, these screws goes into particle board on the subs case, When real tight "no buzzing" but the viberation of the bass speaker loosens the screws, (not by unscrewing them, but by stripping out the wood that they're screwed into,) I've tightened them 3 times already, and one's starting to strip, means taking the whole thing apart,and replacing the 4 wood screws) with 3/16" allenhead bolts, and using a 3/16" Tee nut on the inside of the enclosure. This is a small thing but anyone with knowledge and experience with bass speakers shoud know you can't use wood screws, so I give logitech engineers a 2 rating on this.

The only other thing I really dislike is the cables and plugs, these are really not made for musical instruments that are carried from job to job, these are for studio only. I also realize that for the price paid, I got a lot of value for my money, and I assume this system was not designed for portable keyboards. It can be used for gigging, but in my opinion its very delicate, and needs to be handled very gently, and moved with protected cases.

So overall I give it a rating of ****8****

I probably will use it out of the studio because of it's lesser weight, I think it would carry a audience of (party go'ers) 50-75 people in a mid size room. or a church or retirement home of a 100 or more in a good size room.

Again Much Thanks to Gary for presenting this amazing little system with a big punch. I sure appreciate your efforts and your expertise.....Pose

------------------
Support the arts
FEED a Musician
Cheers....Pose

#92843 - 12/30/04 11:40 AM Re: My rating of the Logitech Z5500
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
try putting some glue on the screw threads,that should stop them unscrewing,mike

#92844 - 12/30/04 11:50 AM Re: My rating of the Logitech Z5500
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Pose,

You are right about using wood screws--just not the right thing to do. However, Mike's solution should solve the problem--just a small dab or glue on the screw threads before reinserting them should do the job.

As for the speaker wires, you are also right in that they are lightweight and really not intended for gigging use. I wrapped my speaker wires with cable-wrap, encasing two wires within each length of protective wrap, which should provide them with a bit of longevity. However, when those cables fail, and they eventually will, I'll probably install permanent RCA plugs or 1/4-inch phono jacks in each speaker, thus eliminating the problem.

My Z-5500s will be used tomorrow night for a small gathering of just 36 to 40 people, and I'm quite confident they'll love what they hear.

Have a Safe New Year.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#92845 - 12/30/04 12:38 PM Re: My rating of the Logitech Z5500
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Hey Guys:
Thanks for the suggestion of the glue, I've done this on furniture etc. and this does it. But this won't do the trick on the speaker. They're not unscrewing they are being ripped out of the particle board, because it is a low grade of particleboard. Besides the screws may need to be removed, for service or retightened, can't do this if they're glued, in my experience, they still will pulverise the sawdust (particle board)where the glue bonds, only real fix is to thru bolt it with washer and nut or use a Tee nut... Cheers....Pose

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online