SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#92409 - 04/13/07 07:49 AM Re: Does anyone know the maximum size for a yamaha style file?
Jørgen Sørensen Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi

Chony and I discussed real LONG parts. I think Chony mentioned that the maximum length of style parts is 256 measures.

Then my answer was: Maybe there will be a file size problem; but I really dont know.

The measure length of "normal" styles is often app. 50 measures; the 4 main parts being 4 measures long each.

If the main parts are 64 measures each the style will be app. 300 measures (6 times "normal"). And if the main parts are 256 measures each the style will be app. 1050 measures (20 times "normal").

As mentioned above I do not know if this will work. I doubt!

Regards
Jørgen

PS: And the style FILE SIZE will be 6 respectively 20 times bigger too. At least there will be room for very few styles in memory etc.

------------------
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site

[This message has been edited by Jørgen Sørensen (edited 04-13-2007).]

#92410 - 04/13/07 08:09 AM Re: Does anyone know the maximum size for a yamaha style file?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
I have a related question about total measures? From the previous post, can I assume that there isn't a limit on total measures per style part? The limit is more on the total measures per style?
Starkeeper

#92411 - 04/13/07 10:21 AM Re: Does anyone know the maximum size for a yamaha style file?
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Thanks Jorgen,

The basic idea for those who are wondering, is to record extremely long variations with an electric drum set and a sequencer, that could be then used to give the music an extremely live feel. It would be like using MIDI files, but having the control of a style file.

Many of my styles already have 16 measure variations to them, and they total about 60-70 bytes, so I'm happy to hear that some of the T2's styles are up to 129k! That at least gives me some space to work with!

#92412 - 04/13/07 02:19 PM Re: Does anyone know the maximum size for a yamaha style file?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Chony,
one way to test it would be to use a midi to style program , & create a dummy style.
The style doesn't have to make any sense, just use it to test the amount of bars etc you can use.

best wishes
rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by chony:

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#92413 - 04/13/07 05:27 PM Re: Does anyone know the maximum size for a yamaha style file?
rikkisbears Offline

Hi ,
decided to try it on my psr 1500.

The psr 1500 definately has a limit to the size of the style it can load.
It won't load a file larger than 135kb's, preferably 134kb to be on the safe side.
Don't know if the T2 can do better??

The junk style I put together had 4,8 & 16 bar intro's & endings, normal 1 bar fills, & 128 bars for variations abcd. Well over 500 bars in total.

Maybe it would have worked with longer variations, but if there is a limit to the size of a style even a T2 can load, then the variations would have to have rather sparse instrumentation.

Actually rather an intersting exercise just to be able to find out what size style my psr was capable of loading.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#92414 - 04/13/07 07:34 PM Re: Does anyone know the maximum size for a yamaha style file?
mr9000 Offline

The biggest style i was able to load without it saying 'not enough memory' was 54KB,on the 9000.I did sneak around this a few times by 'direct access' from floppy disk and into 'stylecreator'then
'fulledit' then find the parts measures you don't care for and make it smaller,then save to the'flash-memory'.Just make sure your going from 'Floppy' to 'style creator'-to 'user-flash-banks'.

[This message has been edited by mr9000 (edited 04-13-2007).]

[This message has been edited by mr9000 (edited 04-13-2007).]

#92415 - 04/13/07 09:03 PM Re: Does anyone know the maximum size for a yamaha style file?
Jørgen Sørensen Offline

Hi

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rikkisbears:
[B]Hi Chony,
one way to test it would be to use a midi to style program , & create a dummy style.
The style doesn't have to make any sense, just use it to test the amount of bars etc you can use.
[QUOTE]

To make a proper test, the style must have "normal" instrumentation. Meaning there must be "normal" patterns in drums, bass, 2 chord, pad and 2 phrase channels.

A file size at 134 kB and 500 measures sounds to me as a rather "thin" instrumentation.

Regards
Jørgen

------------------

[This message has been edited by Jørgen Sørensen (edited 04-13-2007).]

#92416 - 04/13/07 11:36 PM Re: Does anyone know the maximum size for a yamaha style file?
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Jorgen,
my style was very thin. Basically I just quickly did a midifile to style from a BIAB midi.
Drums , Bass, Strings, Piano.
All the intro's endings fills & variations were included that a psr requires. Just a copy & paste exercise.

I was mainly checking to see if psr could cope with bar lengths longer than 32bars. 32 appears to be the maxium in the style creation section of my psr ( unless I'm not doing something correctly)
I just used OMB to quickly dummy up a midi to style. The psr definately appears to play back the full 128 bar variations.
Also handy to know I can't load a file larger than 135kb's

Not doubt where Chony would run into trouble would be if his keyboard only has the same 135kb limit for a style as my psr 1500 has. The problem may not be the length of the styleparts but the size of the file.

best wishes
rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jørgen Sørensen:
[B]Hi

[

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#92417 - 04/14/07 09:56 AM Re: Does anyone know the maximum size for a yamaha style file?
Jørgen Sørensen Offline

Hi Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
Not doubt where Chony would run into trouble would be if his keyboard only has the same 135kb limit for a style as my psr 1500 has. The problem may not be the length of the styleparts but the size of the file.

Just my point!

Kind Regards
Jørgen

------------------

#92418 - 04/14/07 10:40 AM Re: Does anyone know the maximum size for a yamaha style file?
jwyvern Offline

This link shows (as some others do) that the max Style file size for Tyros1 is 120Kb.
http://www.svpworld.com/tyros_specs.htm

Unfortunately Yamaha don't seem to have given similar info in their specs. for Ty2. The style features are the same though (Number of intros, fills etc.etc.) so it "may" (fingers crossed) be logical to assume Ty2 can cope with at least 120Kb. Whether it'll load more than that presumably depends on whether Yamaha increased the amount of buffer memory allocated to styles in Ty2 compared with Tyros.

John

[This message has been edited by jwyvern (edited 04-14-2007).]

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online